What's new

Which titanium razor should I purchase?

Hey everyone! I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time now, but I finally decided to get my own account to ask a question that is unique to my current situation! I've been wet shaving for a few years now with a Rockwell 6S and have a strong itch to acquire a really special razor. Specifically, I've been bewitched with the idea of getting a high-end titanium razor.

The two I've really been looking at are the Blackland Blackbird SB Ti and the Timeless .95 SB Ti. I'm looking for an efficient shaver that is comfortable and can be used as a daily driver. Any advice on deciding between the two, or perhaps are there some other Titanium razors you would recommend in place of these two that are more aligned with what I'm looking for?

Thanks for all of the advice I've picked up reading posts and thanks in advance for helping me with my decision!

Well, the Timeless will be closer to the Rockwell shave wise. The Blackbird is supposedly amazing once you figure it out, but not intuitive. I have the Timeless, but was going to get the Taiga. Let's just not talk about that, second hand only now. Oh, the Henson! You would have to try the Al version first to find the right one though. Those are an amazing daily shaver if the design works for you. Actually H&S should be near the top of your list too, it's a more conventional design.

Well, the Timeless will be closer to the Rockwell shave wise. The Blackbird is supposedly amazing once you figure it out, but not intuitive. I have the Timeless, but was going to get the Taiga. Let's just not talk about that, second hand only now. Oh, the Henson! You would have to try the Al version first to find the right one though. Those are an amazing daily shaver if the design works for you. Actually H&S should be near the top of your list too, it's a more conventional design.
Thanks for the reply! My thoughts on the Timeless vs. the Blackbird exactly, which is what makes it so difficult to decide! There is a certain appeal of trying something different :biggrin1: I was actually completely unaware that Henson made a titanium razor! I've been meaning to try their aluminum razors for several months though, so knowing there's room for upgrading might be just the impetus that I need! Those H&S razors are beauties too...And just like that, it is no longer a two man race!

The Timeless will be smoother and many use it as a daily driver. The Blackbird will be a bit rougher and blade forward but the attention it requires is rewarded with a great shave.

An option is buying both and sell the one you like the least. Or try their stainless variants then go to Ti when you know your preference.

Hey everyone! I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time now, but I finally decided to get my own account to ask a question that is unique to my current situation! I've been wet shaving for a few years now with a Rockwell 6S and have a strong itch to acquire a really special razor. Specifically, I've been bewitched with the idea of getting a high-end titanium razor.

The two I've really been looking at are the Blackland Blackbird SB Ti and the Timeless .95 SB Ti. I'm looking for an efficient shaver that is comfortable and can be used as a daily driver. Any advice on deciding between the two, or perhaps are there some other Titanium razors you would recommend in place of these two that are more aligned with what I'm looking for?

Thanks for all of the advice I've picked up reading posts and thanks in advance for helping me with my decision!
I recently bought the Blackbird SB Ti polished and have really enjoyed using it. It's a little more aggressive than what I was using before (GC .84, CG LVL 2) but it provides an excellent shave, and isn't too harsh for me as a daily driver. The polished Ti version looks phenomenal too. Great aesthetics, balance, and very unique shave feel.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Now that the previous posts have provided advice on comfort, I'll start with the specificity of design/processing.

Timeless uses "wire E.D.M." processing, so it can achieve a "deep hole H-style base plate" that other CNC machining razors cannot achieve. It makes the razor collection more distinctive.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
People talking about the Blackbird forget to mention if they are talking about the SB or the OC version.
They are behaving very differently. The OC is requiring a lot of cap riding and is quite aggressive if one goes steep, the SB is very forgiving on the other hand, though not nearly as efficient as the OC.

I prefer the Timeless Slim OC, the others are not enough for me. I have the Timeless .95 scalloped baseplate, I would definitely rather recommend the .95 OC or the Slim (OC ideally, Timeless makes very wonderful OC designs to the point that I would always rather recommend them than a scalloped or standard safety bar for their razors).

I would rather start with a Game Changer .84 SB or OC or both before throwing a lot of money at a titanium razor. Or something else in that ballpark.

Why? You don't even know yourself yet what would suit you or not. Nobody here does either.
Titanium is lightweight, your Rockwell 6S is heavy, it will be quite a change. Regarding aggression and efficiency, the Rockwell is rather on the mild side and gives little pointers what razor would suit you next.

Edit: But if you get the Timeless, you can get the Ti Crown handle, which is the sexiest handle design of the entire Virgo cluster.

I've tried a few Ti razors: Henson Ti (A), Blackbird, Timeless Slim and both Paradigms (DE&SE) and of all those, I've kept only the Blackbird. Actually, I still have the Timeless but only because I like the Crown handle and I fear the head only wouldn't be of much interest on the BST lol

Obviously, the best answer would be to try any of them before purchase. Since you've mentioned the Rockwell (which is, alongside the Blackbird, arguably my favourite razor) I'd say go with the Blackbird. For sure, the Blackbird is a different razor than the Rockwell but with some practice, can provide equally smooth, if not closer shaves. Also, little point in having two similar razors (unless you end up with like 50, like me and some other "crazy" folks here...). Bonus point: Blackbird just looks cooler!

tldr: Go with Blackbird.

People talking about the Blackbird forget to mention if they are talking about the SB or the OC version.
They are behaving very differently. The OC is requiring a lot of cap riding and is quite aggressive if one goes steep, the SB is very forgiving on the other hand, though not nearly as efficient as the OC.

I prefer the Timeless Slim OC, the others are not enough for me. I have the Timeless .95 scalloped baseplate, I would definitely rather recommend the .95 OC or the Slim (OC ideally, Timeless makes very wonderful OC designs to the point that I would always rather recommend them than a scalloped or standard safety bar for their razors).

I would rather start with a Game Changer .84 SB or OC or both before throwing a lot of money at a titanium razor. Or something else in that ballpark.

Why? You don't even know yourself yet what would suit you or not. Nobody here does either.
Titanium is lightweight, your Rockwell 6S is heavy, it will be quite a change. Regarding aggression and efficiency, the Rockwell is rather on the mild side and gives little pointers what razor would suit you next.

Edit: But if you get the Timeless, you can get the Ti Crown handle, which is the sexiest handle design of the entire Virgo cluster.
If you go back and re-read the OP he actually is requesting info on the Ti Blackbird and Ti Timeless with both being SB... Besides, the Ti Blackbird only has a SB option anyway!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Both razors you are considering are great razors, but the Blackbird Ti is my current #1 DE razor.

Loaded with a Perma-Sharp blade and using a steep angle, the results are phenomenal. :)

Blackbird and Timeless are both great choices. I have the Timeless ti like you describe and an SS Blackbird. Both highly recommended though I find the Timeless to be a tad smoother. Either one is a good choice.

Someone mentioned the Henson ti, too. It's a smooth, comfortable razor, even the aggressive version.

The two I've really been looking at are the Blackland Blackbird SB Ti and the Timeless .95 SB Ti. I'm looking for an efficient shaver that is comfortable and can be used as a daily driver.
These are the only 2 razors I own with the Ti95 being of the DC variety...

The Ti Blackbird is a machine loaded with a Feather and though its newer to me has become my favorite over the Ti Timeless. As pointed out by @never-stop-learning with a steep angle it just clears anything in its path. Though the Timeless is a very fine razor also and a year ago was my only razor for over 2yrs prior to the Blackbird and I can attest that both razors deliver a very smooth and efficient BBS that last 16-20hrs. The Timeless has less blade feel and is the smoother shaver overall.

My suggestion would be, (if you are able), pick up both and put them to the test and whichever you like keep it and return the other. Both Mfg's have a 30 day trial period no questions asked return policy and they're CS is 2nd to none!!

Ti BB Shave.jpg

Ti95DC.jpg

Double tap on the suggestion for the Henson above. You could also inquire about the sign up sheet for the titanium Yates. Those two are my current faves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
These are the only 2 razors I own with the Ti95 being of the DC variety...

The Ti Blackbird is a machine loaded with a Feather and though its newer to me has become my favorite over the Ti Timeless. As pointed out by @never-stop-learning with a steep angle it just clears anything in its path. Though the Timeless is a very fine razor also and a year ago was my only razor for over 2yrs prior to the Blackbird and I can attest that both razors deliver a very smooth and efficient BBS that last 16-20hrs. The Timeless has less blade feel and is the smoother shaver overall.

My suggestion would be, (if you are able), pick up both and put them to the test and whichever you like keep it and return the other. Both Mfg's have a 30 day trial period no questions asked return policy and they're CS is 2nd to none!!

View attachment 1424746
View attachment 1424747
@NaturalLog - I have the Timeless Ti Slim, Ti .68, Stainless .95 and Stainless. 68. They are all great razors.

I just like my Ti Blackbird more. It gives me closer and more comfortable shaves.

My whiskers are really coarse, fast growing, chaotic and wiry. I like the balance of efficient, smooth and effective I get with the Ti Blackbird. Also, it is wonderfully nimble and maneuverable - a huge plus on my face.

But all I can offer is my opinion regarding what works for me. Your personal experience should be your guide. I agree with @muzichead's suggestion to get both razors, get in a few shaves with each one, keep the one you like and return the other one.

Like I said, they are both great razors. :)

The Timeless ti is giving me smoother shaves right now than the Blackbird ti, although I realize that’s unusual. To the Blackbird lovers out there - have you been okay with applying a little pressure with the Blackbird ti in order to get the closest shave? Or are you letting the razor do the work? I think I’m going to try a little pressure and see if I can get the close Blackbird shave everyone is talking about! Right now I get closer shaves with the Vector ti as well.

The Timeless ti is giving me smoother shaves right now than the Blackbird ti, although I realize that’s unusual. To the Blackbird lovers out there - have you been okay with applying a little pressure with the Blackbird ti in order to get the closest shave? Or are you letting the razor do the work? I think I’m going to try a little pressure and see if I can get the close Blackbird shave everyone is talking about! Right now I get closer shaves with the Vector ti as well.

Definitely add pressure if you aren't getting close enough. It's a pretty forgiving razor.

To OP, my recommendation is to pick the one that you're initially drawn to. You're probably leaning slightly one way so I'd go with that and return it if it's not the right fit. They're both great so you can't go wrong here.

Wow, thank you all for the advice! I definitely see this as a situation where I'll end up getting both at some point. You can never have too many cool things right? 😬 I think I'm going to go with the Timeless .95 SB in the polished finish with the crown handle as the first one! I love the way that razor looks and from the descriptions you all gave, it should be wonderfully smooth! Plus, it looks like the Blackbird is sold out in the polished finish for the time being, so I'll just have to keep my eye on it and nab one when they're back. At that point, I'll have to make a post here comparing the two!

Wow, thank you all for the advice! I definitely see this as a situation where I'll end up getting both at some point. You can never have too many cool things right? 😬 I think I'm going to go with the Timeless .95 SB in the polished finish with the crown handle as the first one! I love the way that razor looks and from the descriptions you all gave, it should be wonderfully smooth! Plus, it looks like the Blackbird is sold out in the polished finish for the time being, so I'll just have to keep my eye on it and nab one when they're back. At that point, I'll have to make a post here comparing the two!
Consider the scalloped top cap and plate, if only for aesthetic reasons.
IMG_1731.jpeg

Top Bottom