What's new

Help identify this Thuringian Water Hone

Hello everyone, my hobby is wood carving and I thought I had an problem with stone obsession, after reading this forum I feel much more normal …lol. I usually use oil stones but wanted to try a Thuringian so bought one (I believe!). I am very surprised with the feed back I get from it,very, very nice.

My question can anyone help? I am unsure as who the manufacturer is, the logo looks like S&D or D&S. The only company I can find whose initials might fit is S.R. Droescher?

Thanks in advance for any help.
D595C6E2-62F7-469F-B533-8932C0CE515E.jpeg
4DF680FB-DA31-4675-B44C-97A9F6767788.jpeg
3812DF1C-D883-45CC-99AC-FB47DF3AC875.jpeg

Nice!

I can't really help apart from to say - it could be an ampersand there, but I think more likely a 'C' or 'G'. So something like DSC / DSG... maybe.

Nice!

I can't really help apart from to say - it could be an ampersand there, but I think more likely a 'C' or 'G'. So something like DSC / DSG... maybe.
Thank you, I think you are right, still a mystery but that’s part of the fun with stones eh?

Nice!

You reminded me of a fact.
Until 1835, the English Alphabet consisted of 27 letters: right after « Z » the 27th letter of the alphabet was ampersand (&).

You reminded me of a fact.
Until 1835, the English Alphabet consisted of 27 letters: right after « Z » the 27th letter of the alphabet was ampersand (&).

Interesting! I didn't actually know that (and I have an English Literature degree).

Looks like someone recognised it over on the Thuri thread, should be a great stone :).

I normally use oil stones (Arkansas, Charnly, Turkey etc) and strops for my carving chisels and knifes, so wondered what a Thuri would be like. Has quite a different feel, like velvet, I see why the razor community like them. I am not sure it will fit my requirements yet, I will trial it against a Tam O’ Shanter stick I have as a counterpoint.

I am normally on a woodworking based forum, but discussion based on stones usually becomes based on preference rather than an observation, so I am interested to explore the hone section of this forum.

Oh I love little lost facts like this!

In the first century, Roman scribes wrote in cursive text, so when they wrote ‘et’ – the Latin word for ‘and’ – they linked the two letters. Over time, this was adopted in the English language as well. ‘And’ became both a word and a letter.

The name for this symbol – “ampersand” – came centuries later. In the early nineteenth century, school children reciting the alphabet still finished with ‘&’.

But you can’t finish ‘X,Y, Z, and.’ Doesn't rhyme, nor X, Y, Z and, by itself, “and.”
So in comes Per se. Which in Latin, means ‘by itself.’ Over the course of a few decades, ‘and per se and’ became – “ampersand.”

I had heard this before but found this explanation on THE 27TH LETTER OF THE ALPHABET - COLIN FALCONER - https://colinfalconer.org/27th-letter-alphabet/ (never read his books, but if he like little facts like this maybe I will give him a go, lol). He also explains “Ye” as well….

I normally use oil stones (Arkansas, Charnly, Turkey etc) and strops for my carving chisels and knifes, so wondered what a Thuri would be like. Has quite a different feel, like velvet, I see why the razor community like them. I am not sure it will fit my requirements yet, I will trial it against a Tam O’ Shanter stick I have as a counterpoint.

I am normally on a woodworking based forum, but discussion based on stones usually becomes based on preference rather than an observation, so I am interested to explore the hone section of this forum.

Oh I love little lost facts like this!

In the first century, Roman scribes wrote in cursive text, so when they wrote ‘et’ – the Latin word for ‘and’ – they linked the two letters. Over time, this was adopted in the English language as well. ‘And’ became both a word and a letter.

The name for this symbol – “ampersand” – came centuries later. In the early nineteenth century, school children reciting the alphabet still finished with ‘&’.

But you can’t finish ‘X,Y, Z, and.’ Doesn't rhyme, nor X, Y, Z and, by itself, “and.”
So in comes Per se. Which in Latin, means ‘by itself.’ Over the course of a few decades, ‘and per se and’ became – “ampersand.”

I had heard this before but found this explanation on THE 27TH LETTER OF THE ALPHABET - COLIN FALCONER - https://colinfalconer.org/27th-letter-alphabet/ (never read his books, but if he like little facts like this maybe I will give him a go, lol). He also explains “Ye” as well….

This btw is one of the most excellent thread derailments I've ever come across... fascinating stuff, thank you!

Would love to see some pics of your other stones if you have a moment to snap at some point. I too mostly sharpen knives (sometimes tools) and particularly like the Washitas and Turkish I have:

IMG-5709.jpg

C857A453-8371-4A61-B26B-EA543D53FBB9.jpeg

This btw is one of the most excellent thread derailments I've ever come across... fascinating stuff, thank you!

Would love to see some pics of your other stones if you have a moment to snap at some point. I too mostly sharpen knives (sometimes tools) and particularly like the Washitas and Turkish I have:

View attachment 1424615

View attachment 1424616
I don't feel as cracky about my Washita collection when I see yours. Makes me feel much better. I love those freaking stones and we sharpen tons of stuff on them. From knives, razors, axes, machetes and broadleaf. They are very hard to beat. I need to get a Turkey.

View attachment 1424615

View attachment 1424616
Thank you, thread derailment, lol, it is my personality type I think, ooh, here comes another one, go to 16 personalities.com and take the free test, you have to answer honestly and it got me to a tee. Took the test 5 years apart and came out the same. I wonder if people who sharpen and actually like sharpening have a common thread?

Will get some photos when I get some energy, as yes, got the covid yesterday….I don‘t mind the time off work if I can sharpen something but perhaps not a good idea when dizzy, I tried some carving and stabbed myself with my Ray Gonzalez long hooked skew, not bad, but that was a warning, leave alone for a couple of days!

Really nice stones you have there btw.

Top Bottom