What's new

Hello Everyone! My Introduction & My Adventure In Haircare!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
------------------------------------------A Quick Introduction------------------------------------------
Hello everyone, Star Wahl Clipper Treker here, or just call me Star for short. If you've already deciphered the word play on my username (cause your truly stellar that way) then you will know that I am a Star Trek fan. I'm a small engine mechanic by trade, but I have many other interests in life beyond just engines. I'm in my 20's but I have already seen it all, but I continue to strive everyday to learn more, as time goes on. Which brings me to why I am here, to educate myself from all your expert knowledge in the field of haircare, and to enjoy the fellowship of the community.

-------------------------------------------My Haircare History-------------------------------------------

For most of my life, I have been going to the barber, to get my hair cut. In the past, I used to get high quality cuts for a fair price. But the barber I was going to, started performing lower quality cuts, while raising the price on cuts, I decided that I was going to cut my own hair from then on. I bought my first Wahl clipper, a 34 dollar clipper, called the Wahl Color about 6-years ago.
1646914289702.png
As you can see, this is a corded model, electromagnetic motor, with taper lever, and color coded attachment guide combs. Its a pretty full sized kit, perfect for any beginner to start out on. Cutting my own hair is quite easy using this system, except for fighting with the cord. Yes, I admit, I've knicked the cord a few times with the blade trying to do the back of my head. 😲 After about 3 to 4 years, the blade was getting dull, and constantly snagging on my hair.

So, I got a new blade set for it, I think it was 20 bucks. It took awhile for a beginner like me to learn how to align the blade properly, but I did it! The new blade seemed to make an improvement, it was snagging my hair less. But, if I was asking it to cut more then half an inch at a time, it would still snag my hair. The clipper vibrated violently all the time, and hair was clogging in the blade at a regular basis. I was tired of it taking an hour to do just a simple buzzcut.

------------------------------------------Haircare Present Day-----------------------------------------
After doing extensive research, getting opinions from barbers in the industry, as well as searching this forum for all of your expert advice, I decided to upgrade to the Wahl Magic Clip's! Cordless 5-star model, rotary motor, with taper lever, can be used corded, and comes with standard guide combs. This is also the new version of the Magic Clips, the 5V model with the claimed 100-minute runtime.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
The Magic Clip's didn't come with a storage case, I wanted to protect my new clippers when not in use, so I bought the Aenllosi storage organizer case, and everything fits pretty good in there.
proxy.php
I wasn't very pleased about the lack of quality from the standard guide combs, and the cleaning brush that comes with Wahl clippers, leave much to be desired. So I purchased the premium guide combs, as well as a cheap clipper cleaning brush.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
I have to say, its literally a night and day difference, between my old clipper and my new one, when it comes to both the quality of feel, and the performance. The Wahl Magic Clip's go through my thick and wiry hair like butter, and the blade doesn't appear to have a tendency to clog like my old one. There is no vibration either, and while the rotary motor in the Magic Clips is a bit louder then an electromagnetic motor, its still quieter then my Panasonic Arc4 shaver. The Magic Clip's also weigh less too.

And of course, the premium guide combs are just so much better, its not even a competition lol. So, my question to you guys is, how do you guys feel about the Wahl Magic Clip? How many of you own the original models? How many of you own the 5-star models like this one? And how many of you own the super premium all steel models?

------------------------------------------Electric Shaving------------------------------------------

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
This is my Panasonic Arc4 electric foil shaver. I used to shave with a 2 blade razor, then 3 blade, then 5 blade. The problem with them is, blades go dull fast, and cost an arm and a leg to buy new packs, by the years end, you find you just spent 100+ dollars on blades. I've used electric rotary shavers for most of my life, but they don't produce a close shave. I got into foil shaving, because I learned that they produce a close shave, and is why barbers use them. Of course, this is a home use shaver, not a fancy Andis or Wahl shaver.

Can I just say, these shavers are loud! There is no way you are shaving with an Arc4 shaver, without waking up family. Putting noise aside though, these are excellent shavers, and produce a nice close shave, almost as good as a razor! They work wet or dry, as they are waterproof. Its got a nice battery level display on it, but the battery sure don't last long in this thing. And the shaver seems to have a parasitic drain on the battery when not in use.

Its fairly easy to clean out over water, and lubricate the blade with a couple drops of Wahl clipper blade oil. But I find that it provides me the best shave, if I apply a thin layer of shave gel to my face first. I have sensitive skin, so just by that very nature, electric shavers can cause irritation to my skin. So I picked up a bottle of Tomb45 shave gel from my favorite barber Chris Bossio. The stuff smells really good, is not greasy, and doesn't foam up and become a mess like Gillette's shave gels.

proxy.php

----------------------------------------------Conclusion----------------------------------------------

Oster Blade Wash
proxy.php
proxy.php

@FarmerTan note the little tupperware container, your recommendation is appreciated!

I think this site is really awesome! There is a bunch of really knowledgeable folks on here, who really demonstrate the best of humanity, and that is using their knowledge, to help each other. I was quite surprised to see that, within a very short time, without realizing it, I was helping out another member myself. I really appreciate the fellowship of this community as well. You guys have also helped me out. I can only hope that I can measure up to your folks awesomeness. But for now, I thank you, and for those that I have most recently helped, your welcome! :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
------------------------------------------A Quick Introduction------------------------------------------
Hello everyone, Star Wahl Clipper Treker here, or just call me Star for short. If you've already deciphered the word play on my username (cause your truly stellar that way) then you will know that I am a Star Trek fan. I'm a small engine mechanic by trade, but I have many other interests in life beyond just engines. I'm in my 20's but I have already seen it all, but I continue to strive everyday to learn more, as time goes on. Which brings me to why I am here, to educate myself from all your expert knowledge in the field of haircare, and to enjoy the fellowship of the community.

-------------------------------------------My Haircare History-------------------------------------------

For most of my life, I have been going to the barber, to get my hair cut. In the past, I used to get high quality cuts for a fair price. But the barber I was going to, started performing lower quality cuts, while raising the price on cuts, I decided that I was going to cut my own hair from then on. I bought my first Wahl clipper, a 34 dollar clipper, called the Wahl Color about 6-years ago.
View attachment 1421793
As you can see, this is a corded model, electromagnetic motor, with taper lever, and color coded attachment guide combs. Its a pretty full sized kit, perfect for any beginner to start out on. Cutting my own hair is quite easy using this system, except for fighting with the cord. Yes, I admit, I've knicked the cord a few times with the blade trying to do the back of my head. 😲 After about 3 to 4 years, the blade was getting dull, and constantly snagging on my hair.

So, I got a new blade set for it, I think it was 20 bucks. It took awhile for a beginner like me to learn how to align the blade properly, but I did it! The new blade seemed to make an improvement, it was snagging my hair less. But, if I was asking it to cut more then half an inch at a time, it would still snag my hair. The clipper vibrated violently all the time, and hair was clogging in the blade at a regular basis. I was tired of it taking an hour to do just a simple buzzcut.

------------------------------------------Haircare Present Day-----------------------------------------
After doing extensive research, getting opinions from barbers in the industry, as well as searching this forum for all of your expert advice, I decided to upgrade to the Wahl Magic Clip's! Cordless 5-star model, rotary motor, with taper lever, can be used corded, and comes with standard guide combs. This is also the new version of the Magic Clips, the 5V model with the claimed 100-minute runtime.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
The Magic Clip's didn't come with a storage case, I wanted to protect my new clippers when not in use, so I bought the Aenllosi storage organizer case, and everything fits pretty good in there.
proxy.php
I wasn't very pleased about the lack of quality from the standard guide combs, and the cleaning brush that comes with Wahl clippers, leave much to be desired. So I purchased the premium guide combs, as well as a cheap clipper cleaning brush.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
I have to say, its literally a night and day difference, between my old clipper and my new one, when it comes to both the quality of feel, and the performance. The Wahl Magic Clip's go through my thick and wiry hair like butter, and the blade doesn't appear to have a tendency to clog like my old one. There is no vibration either, and while the rotary motor in the Magic Clips is a bit louder then an electromagnetic motor, its still quieter then my Panasonic Arc4 shaver. The Magic Clip's also weigh less too.

And of course, the premium guide combs are just so much better, its not even a competition lol. So, my question to you guys is, how do you guys feel about the Wahl Magic Clip? How many of you own the original models? How many of you own the 5-star models like this one? And how many of you own the super premium all steel models?

------------------------------------------Electric Shaving------------------------------------------

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
This is my Panasonic Arc4 electric foil shaver. I used to shave with a 2 blade razor, then 3 blade, then 5 blade. The problem with them is, blades go dull fast, and cost an arm and a leg to buy new packs, by the years end, you find you just spent 100+ dollars on blades. I've used electric rotary shavers for most of my life, but they don't produce a close shave. I got into foil shaving, because I learned that they produce a close shave, and is why barbers use them. Of course, this is a home use shaver, not a fancy Andis or Wahl shaver.

Can I just say, these shavers are loud! There is no way you are shaving with an Arc4 shaver, without waking up family. Putting noise aside though, these are excellent shavers, and produce a nice close shave, almost as good as a razor! They work wet or dry, as they are waterproof. Its got a nice battery level display on it, but the battery sure don't last long in this thing. And the shaver seems to have a parasitic drain on the battery when not in use.

Its fairly easy to clean out over water, and lubricate the blade with a couple drops of Wahl clipper blade oil. But I find that it provides me the best shave, if I apply a thin layer of shave gel to my face first. I have sensitive skin, so just by that very nature, electric shavers can cause irritation to my skin. So I picked up a bottle of Tomb45 shave gel from my favorite barber Chris Bossio. The stuff smells really good, is not greasy, and doesn't foam up and become a mess like Gillette's shave gels.

proxy.php

----------------------------------------------Conclusion----------------------------------------------

Oster Blade Wash
proxy.php
proxy.php

@FarmerTan note the little tupperware container, your recommendation is appreciated!

I think this site is really awesome! There is a bunch of really knowledgeable folks on here, who really demonstrate the best of humanity, and that is using their knowledge, to help each other. I was quite surprised to see that, within a very short time, without realizing it, I was helping out another member myself. I really appreciate the fellowship of this community as well. You guys have also helped me out. I can only hope that I can measure up to your folks awesomeness. But for now, I thank you, and for those that I have most recently helped, your welcome! :)

Yours is probably the only introduction in a forum I've never before visited so thanks for bringing me to this corner of the board.

Since you started talking about the Wahl Magic Clip clippers I've read up on it. Interesting clippers I think and highly regarded. I like that they can be used both with and without the cord. Apparently some professional barbers like them better than the significantly more expensive Senior cordless clippers.

From what I've read the all metal version of the Magic Clip is a good bit more sturdy when dropped but also significantly heavier.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yours is probably the only introduction in a forum I've never before visited so thanks for bringing me to this corner of the board.

Since you started talking about the Wahl Magic Clip clippers I've read up on it. Interesting clippers I think and highly regarded. I like that they can be used both with and without the cord. Apparently some professional barbers like them better than the significantly more expensive Senior cordless clippers.

From what I've read the all metal version of the Magic Clip is a good bit more sturdy when dropped but also significantly heavier.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Your welcome! Just as you shared your shaving world with me, hopefully I can share my clipper world with you.

I since heard that the ability to use the clippers with and without the cord, was a requested feature from way back. I also agree, that is an excellent feature for sure.

You are also 100% right. When I was doing my research, I discovered that many barbers, prefer the Magic Clips over the Seniors. The Magic Clips are also cheaper then the Seniors. And yes, the all metal versions weigh considerably more.

Most barbers are not going to want to hold a heavy clipper all day long. I am not sure if you are cutting your own hair or not, but if you haven't, but are planning to do so soon, so far, I am totally recommending the Magic Clips!

Thanks Jim, and happy shaves to you too buddy. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your welcome! Just as you shared your shaving world with me, hopefully I can share my clipper world with you.

I since heard that the ability to use the clippers with and without the cord, was a requested feature from way back. I also agree, that is an excellent feature for sure.

You are also 100% right. When I was doing my research, I discovered that many barbers, prefer the Magic Clips over the Seniors. The Magic Clips are also cheaper then the Seniors. And yes, the all metal versions weigh considerably more.

Most barbers are not going to want to hold a heavy clipper all day long. I am not sure if you are cutting your own hair or not, but if you haven't, but are planning to do so soon, so far, I am totally recommending the Magic Clips!

Thanks Jim, and happy shaves to you too buddy. :)

I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years documenting that journey in the Crisis Haircut thread.

I decided upon and have been using Oster 76 clippers and/or shears to get the job done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years documenting that journey in the Crisis Haircut thread.

I decided upon and have been using Oster 76 clippers and/or shears to get the job done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It took me awhile, but I read all your postings in that thread. I was really impressed that you were creating your own 3-panel mirror, I am just sorry you didn't complete it. But don't feel bad, I am no engineer either, cause if I was, I'd build a futuristic home that was zombie pandemic proof.

I am also sorry to hear what happened to your Oster76 clippers, after only a couple of uses. With such light use, the hinge shouldn't have broke on them, especially from a professional industry classic as the Oster76! However, I am happy that you were able to fix them with a new hinge.

That makes me think that there must be a design flaw, either that, or its planned obsolescence. Hopefully the new hinge will last you longer. So far, I haven't had any issues with my Magic Clips, but they are brand new so ya.

I really enjoyed reading your thorough reported journey, in your taming the wild forest that was on your head. Seemed like you were using a mix of clipper, trimmer, and sheer. I don't remember reading anything about clipper over comb, or sheer over comb though.

My favorite picture you posted, was the one haircut that looked like it came from an Elf in Lord Of The Rings hehe. I was like, ya, that haircut is gonna get some looks, just saying lol. I strongly recommend against the bowl type hair cuts, or the Mow from stooges hair cut, or that German one.

And if the wife approves of your haircuts, you must be doing something right. And if your lady friend who makes the beautiful quilts says you look good, knowing how shes not easily impressed, that is your confirmation. Now grab your trophy of pride, and set it on your mantle piece.

Please keep the forum updated on the condition of your Oster 76 clippers. I am also eager to hear what you do for your next hair cut. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't blame the Oster 76 for the hinge issue. I am pretty sure I created the hinge's problem all by myself. I don't know how to easily explain what I did, but I won't do it again.

I've done very little clippers over comb, but some.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone! If you've been keeping up in the general shaving chat forum, then you will know that I got my first safety razor. So, that meant that today was the day, that the winter gear had to come off. So I pulled out my Wahl Magic Clip's, mowed my head and face. I am truly amazed how good these clippers work. Time for the buzzcut to commence!

Because my hair was at least 2.5 inches tall, I began with the 5/8 guide comb. If I tried that with my old Wahl Color, would have yanked my hair like you wouldn't believe! But the Magic Clips went through my hair like butter. Before I switched to the 1/4 guide comb, I cleaned the blade with my brush. I then went over it again, didn't take long at all.

Applying a little pressure against the guide comb, helps it to do the best work. I then cleaned the blade again with the brush, and then snapped on the 1/8 guide comb. Oh yes guys, I aint playing around when I am doing my buzzcuts, its gonna get taken down short short. To try and do a basic fade in the back, I then moved the taper lever to put the blade in the closed position, and then I just feathered the back of my neck in a upwards motion.

Would my fade impress Chris Bossio? Heck no! But he's a hair cutting wizard, I'm not lol. But does it make me happy? Heck yes! I then went to town on my beard, no guide combs used, just bare blade, with taper in closed position. Holy molly guacamole Batman! My beard was just over 1/4 of an inch thick, so what is that 3/8? The blade went right through it like butter, didn't complain, didn't make any strange noises, it just did it.

The battery inside this thing is amazing, it literally lasted the entire hair cut, beard removal, and still had more juice left in it. I swear we can hook this thing up to Doc Brown's Delorian and power the Flux Capacitor to 1.1 jigawatts. I put some Oster Blade Wash into the tupperware tub, I then ran the clippers, and moved the taper lever back and fourth, and yes, I saw itty bitty hairs coming out.

Well, its cleaner now! And I know I didn't have to, but I felt like it, I put 3 drops of proper Wahl blade oil onto the blade, and a couple drops for the rear, moved the taper lever back and fourth while on, to distribute the oil. Gave my clipper a wipe off, and put it away in that nice case I got for it. I can't tell you how much better I feel right now.

And you know what that means? It means, I am going to be ready for a safety razor shave soon. Ohhhhhh yes! :) And do I still recommend the Wahl Magic Clips? Yes I sure do! 5 out of 5 stars!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

WOW, I haven't made a post in my introduction thread since March of 2022! My oh my, how time does indeed fly! lol As some of you recall, I started my beginnings on B&B, by looking for advice, and buying my first pro Wahl clipper. It is now a year and a half, working my way towards 2-years, that I have been enjoying and loving my Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip's. They have been a phenomenal clipper, awesome performance, and still works great today. About the only thing I've done to them is clean and oil them often.

But after getting inspired by @APBinNCA post here...

I decided it was time to also purchase my very first pro detail trimmer, and hair dryer. Now I am well aware that I purchased the cordless model of my Wahl Magic Clip's. But in an effort to save money, also because I know I would be running a detail trimmer for a longer period of time, ( I have OCD ) I decided to go corded on this one.

1692936678829.png

And I am lucky that Wahl is still running their, buy a trimmer, get a free barber hair dyer deal, so of course, I through that in there, so I can up my drying game to the next level.

1692936797223.png

Gosh I have been on a spending spree lately, I just can't help it. I prayed to the shaving and haircare God's, and they said to me, "Go fourth and multiply your patriotic spending, so you may further your depths into the rabbit hole." Who am I to argue! 😍

Dude, watch some videos on how to use the dryer... seriously! I had an awesome beautician show me exactly how to do it several years ago when I got my first one(Gamma). But I have seen several videos since that pretty much repeat what she said. You should grab a vented brush too, something like my Denman. If you ever have to wash your hair at night, these things are a life saver and not for the reason you think... if you sleep on un styled hair, it's really hard to shape in the morning! You can actually do it at night, go to bed and put product in in the morning(just warm you hair up and run your fingers through a bit). You probably forgot, but I have a movie villain hairdo and I literally blow and pull the hair straight up, the tips bend back once I add product, I wouldn't be able to do this without my driers(technically I have with great effort).

Top Bottom