What's new

My First Straight Razor!

Dovo Prima.png

Ordered a few minutes ago from The Superior Shave. Dovo Prima Silver Steel 4580 German Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 5/8 Size | Full Hollow Ground | Round Point | Ebony Wood Handle

I'm having it honed to shave ready, and asked that it be stropped before shipping. I'm very excited!

I got a lot of great advice from this forum. The concern you all show is astonishing.

Thanks, all!

Larry

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you. No need. Jarrod makes it clear in his details that he doesn't use tape. I got my .5 and .1 micron today. I'll have the balsa and .25 micron tomorrow.
Sounds like you will be ready to go as soon as you receive your Dovo Prima. All you will have to do is concentrate on developing your SR shaving technique.

We are here to help and guide you.

Sounds like you will be ready to go as soon as you receive your Dovo Prima. All you will have to do is concentrate on developing your SR shaving technique.

We are here to help and guide you.
That is abundantly clear. You and everyone else. Thank you all again.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Remember with your first SR shave:
  • Do not strop before the shave.
  • Use a very wet and relatively thin lather.
  • Stretch you skin as you shave.
  • Just enough pressure to remove the lather.
  • A shave angle of about ½ to 1 spine thickness off the skin.
  • WTG only.
  • Just shave the easy bits.
  • Best if you can shave with your SR daily.
After about a week of daily SR shaves, it will start to all come together. After about 30 daily SR shaves, you will be asking yourself why you didn't start this in your teens.

After about 1,000 SR shaves, you will discover that you are still learning 😊.

Remember with your first SR shave:
  • Do not strop before the shave.
  • Use a very wet and relatively thin lather.
  • Stretch you skin as you shave.
  • Just enough pressure to remove the lather.
  • A shave angle of about ½ to 1 spine thickness off the skin.
  • WTG only.
  • Just shave the easy bits.
  • Best if you can shave with your SR daily.
After about a week of daily SR shaves, it will start to all come together. After about 30 daily SR shaves, you will be asking yourself why you didn't start this in your teens.

After about 1,000 SR shaves, you will discover that you are still learning 😊.
I was considering Geo's advice to do the easiest parts first (the cheeks) on the first attempt; then finish the job with my Merkur SR. I'll do that patiently and for as long as it takes. I plan to make sure every session is both enjoyable, efficient and incident-free. Your advice and the above seems a good way to get there. That will allow me to practice just a bit every day until it becomes somewhat automatic. I know one thing: I won't rush, I'll enjoy my "me time," and I'll have no distractions.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was considering Geo's advice to do the easiest parts first (the cheeks) on the first attempt; then finish the job with my Merkur SR. I'll do that patiently and for as long as it takes. I plan to make sure every session is both enjoyable, efficient and incident-free. Your advice and the above seems a good way to get there. That will allow me to practice just a bit every day until it becomes somewhat automatic. I know one thing: I won't rush, I'll enjoy my "me time," and I'll have no distractions.
With your attitude towards starting SR shaving, I think that you will find it a walk in the park.

Top Bottom