What's new

Creed Aventus alternatives (NOT clones) recommendations?

So I have been on the hunt for a few new fragrances after not changing them up for a couple of decades. I came across Aventus quite backwards after liking both Montblanc Explorer and TOBS Royal Forest quite a bit. After nothing much from the typical department store fare did it for me, I finally picked up a sample and I have to say I quite like it. I do quite enjoy the scent but it also checks a lot of boxes for me. I'm wondering what else might I check out that hits the following boxes that I feel like Aventus hits:

1. Generally pleasing - the word "challenging" is not something I am looking for in a fragrance.
2. Year-round wearability - and as I live in a coastal subtropical climate a bias toward the warmer seasons is preferred
3. Somewhat masculine and sophisticated
4. Multiple context appropriate - I want to be able to wear this to work, to the kids' sports, to the beach, to dinner, etc.
5. Good longevity and performance

I have some Bleu de Chanel that hits these boxes pretty well but there is something that the whole Bleu, Sauvage, Dylan, etc. style that doesn't hit me right. The other fragrance I sort of liked that seemed to hit these boxes was Chanel Allure Homme Sport Extreme.

Any recommendations that hit this list? I am open to designer or niche. There is nothing wrong with the couple I mentioned, I just want to sample widely before I commit to a bottle of Chanel much less Aventus.

Thanks in advance.

I think this will check most, if not all of the boxes:

proxy.php

You might want to score a sample of Parfums de Marly "Sedley". It's a very versatile high quality perfume but does best in warmer weather.

Acqua di Parma Colognia and it's various flankers are also worth a try. They range from the more traditional to modern.

You should be able to sample all of these at your local mall at Saks, Macy's, Nordstrom type stores.

Mainly I just want to apply it in the morning and have it last until after work.
That sounds like a simple task, but it really narrows the options. IMO, this pretty much eliminates the lion share of niche parfums because most are made with naturals and they won't last all day at full strength. IMO, this puts you in the designer ranges.

Things that are Creed level classy yet designer performance:

- Terre d'Hermes
- Dior Eau Sauvage (NOT Sauvage)
- Acqua di Parma Colonia (or Intensa)
- Guerlain Vetiver
- Kouros
- Azzaro

P.S. After years of searching, testing, buying etc...I have come down on the side of niche naturals with soft projection and moderate performance (meaning the scent is a skin scent the second half of the day). I have been much happier with those scents in the long run. Let us know how you make out.

You might want to score a sample of Parfums de Marly "Sedley". It's a very versatile high quality perfume but does best in warmer weather.

Acqua di Parma Colognia and it's various flankers are also worth a try. They range from the more traditional to modern.

You should be able to sample all of these at your local mall at Saks, Macy's, Nordstrom type stores.
Interesting that you mention these two as I have specifically had these 2 in my radar. I just got a PdM sample pack in the mail today so we shall see. Unfortunately I live in a small beach town so the local department stores don’t really have any selection that extends much beyond the top selling designers. Maybe I’ll have to make a trip to Charleston to check out ADP-Colonia.

Another to consider is Nishane Hacivat. It has the same fruity pineapple open as Aventus but drys down to a woody oakmoss instead of smokey birch. It's an extrait de parfum, so it lasts all day. It's not as sweet as Aventus, more masculine IMHO. Chicks dig it. Go easy on the trigger in warmer weather.

It often gets compared to Aventus but other than the pineapple they are different fragrances but with a similar vibe.

Mont Blanc Explorer isn’t an Aventus dupe per se, but it is pretty close in scent profile. It is a really nice scent and very inexpensive. And widely available.

I have 3 different Acqua di Parma Colonia bottlings and neither
of them last very long. All (OG, Club and Intensa) are quite mild. Neither of these are remotely close to Aventus IMO but I have not tried all of the Colonia flankers.

So I have been on the hunt for a few new fragrances after not changing them up for a couple of decades. I came across Aventus quite backwards after liking both Montblanc Explorer and TOBS Royal Forest quite a bit. After nothing much from the typical department store fare did it for me, I finally picked up a sample and I have to say I quite like it. I do quite enjoy the scent but it also checks a lot of boxes for me. I'm wondering what else might I check out that hits the following boxes that I feel like Aventus hits:

1. Generally pleasing - the word "challenging" is not something I am looking for in a fragrance.
2. Year-round wearability - and as I live in a coastal subtropical climate a bias toward the warmer seasons is preferred
3. Somewhat masculine and sophisticated
4. Multiple context appropriate - I want to be able to wear this to work, to the kids' sports, to the beach, to dinner, etc.
5. Good longevity and performance

I have some Bleu de Chanel that hits these boxes pretty well but there is something that the whole Bleu, Sauvage, Dylan, etc. style that doesn't hit me right. The other fragrance I sort of liked that seemed to hit these boxes was Chanel Allure Homme Sport Extreme.

Any recommendations that hit this list? I am open to designer or niche. There is nothing wrong with the couple I mentioned, I just want to sample widely before I commit to a bottle of Chanel much less Aventus.

Thanks in advance.
I also really like the Creed Aventus and understand the hype. I bought three (3) Creed samples Aventus & Royal Oud I really enjoyed but the GIT didn't really do it for me but it's a YMMV thing I guess. I have a different set of three (3) Creed on the way.

Before I buy the Royal Oud I want to try the Tom Ford Oud Wood to compare.

I was looking at vendors for Creed and just a few minutes ago bought 100ml of Aventus from Costco online at what I consider to be a fair price for this product.

1650715087371.png

I also really like the Creed Aventus and understand the hype. I bought three (3) Creed samples Aventus & Royal Oud I really enjoyed but the GIT didn't really do it for me but it's a YMMV thing I guess. I have a different set of three (3) Creed on the way.

I was looking at vendors for Creed and just a few minutes ago bought 100ml of Aventus from Costco online at what I consider to be a fair price for this product.

View attachment 1444432

I picked up a few samples as well, and I also wasn't as blown away by GIT initially. Buuuuuuuut my wife LOVED it. I found I appreciated it more if I went easier on the trigger. As for Aventus I really love the opening but find I can't detect it in fairly short order. Especially for the price. I don't know if it's gone or I'm just nose blind. Meanwhile, Aventus Cologne seems to last a long time. Go figure.

View attachment 1444432
Royal Oud and Oud Wood are nothing alike. RO is more refined and gentlemanly where OW leans more to the sexy side IMHO. RO is more formal, OW can go anywhere, anytime. Neither is a warm weather scent YMMV. Both are excellent.

Either would make a fine signature scent if you had that kind of dough. In the B&B tradition, you can't go wrong with both.

Royal Oud and Oud Wood are nothing alike. RO is more refined and gentlemanly where OW leans more to the sexy side IMHO. RO is more formal, OW can go anywhere, anytime. Neither is a warm weather scent YMMV. Both are excellent.

Either would make a fine signature scent if you had that kind of dough. In the B&B tradition, you can't go wrong with both.
Thanks @Cino for the insight! I'm a complete noob here but your input is invaluable. I so like the Royal Oud that I might not need to even try the TF Oud Wood. I will probably get the 100ml of the Royal Oud for fall/winter and use the Aventus I ordered for spring/summer. I think I'll also get some Terre d'Hermes Parfum as it gets a lot of love here on B&B. I appreciate your insight.

Something similar to aventus but 'off the path' is Histoires de Parfum 1969. Its got a lot of the fruity/woody vibe that aventus has but maybe a little spicier and a little less cologney and more fragrant. The main fruit note though is peach. I think its a year round contender and works in all contexts. Wouldn't blind buy though. It's definitely not going to be a slam dunk like Aventus which I find to just be a pleasurable cologne scent.

Top Bottom