What's new

Pasteur's Apricot Pie Review

I was recently the recipient of a PIF from @dmshaver that included a soap, some blades and a brush and this is a review of the soap - Apricot Pie.

apricot pie1.jpg

The soap is something that was created specifically for Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC. For those not aware of what / who Pasteur's are, they are a brick and mortar store (they have two of them) with a huge shaving inventory - everything from soap to razors. They are a very popular destination for wet shavers traveling to NYC.

As mentioned, this was created specifically for Pasteur's by Master Soap Creations out of South Africa. The description for Apricot Pie says:

'This Special Collaboration Soap for Pasteur’s Pharmacy is the ring, phenomenal longevity, and post-shave face feel. It is a tallow-based soap that produces plenty of quality protection that stays on the face. The addition of shea butter, glycerine, avocado oil, and bentonite clay rounds out this excellent offering.
The Apricot Pie aroma is a soap that will give you an eye-popping start to your day. This scent is sure to put you in the Christmas spirit.'

When smelling the soap in the tub, it smells like Biscotti or even an anise cookie that was cooked a little longer than needed. I don't really get any apricot, just a bready almond scent. Let's see if that changes as it's lathered up.

This is a very soft soap so I scooped some out of the tub into my lather bowl and started to build the lather. Since this is a tallow based soap, it didn't take long for the lather to build. However, I did have to add more water than I usually do for most soaps, so this is a thirsty soap.

While the lather was building the scent profile changed to a very floral potpourri type smell. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting. After about one or two minutes, I had more than enough soap for a three pass shave.

apricot pie2.jpg

The lather produced was very thick but not that creamy even after adding additional water in between passes, despite that, it appeared to do its job as the shave was uneventful because I had no nicks, weepers or irritation. However, the post shave feel was very dry for me. This is a little surprising based on the description and the extra stuff put in there (shea butter, avocado oil and castor oil).

Overall the soap was ok, not great but definitely not bad. I am a firm believer in 'One shave does not a soap make' so I will post follow ups this week as I continue to use it.

I followed the shave with a splash that @FarmerTan sent me - Izod Classics. The scent profile is a little spicy / fruity to me and did it's job very well and will go into the rotation.

Again, I really want to thank both dmshaver and FarmerTan for the incredible generosity, I truly appreciate it!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the review @carluchi. I'm following this thread to see your thoughts after your next shave.
And @FarmerTan, check if free shipping works both ways, maybe your wife will ship you to Pasteur's!
:a29:
Brother, you be careful! The next time she gets mad at me I'll put a couple forever stamps on my forehead and mail myself to YOUR place, and then you and YOUR wife can put up with my Mickey Mouse ways for awhile.....(my wife seriously COULD use a break to be honest. I'm kinda a full time job, doggone!)

FarmerTan

Brother @carluchi : try face lathering that soap next time! You guys and yer yogurt lookin' lather should buy a cow or a goat and start selling butter as much work as you put into shaving!

Update from this morning: I have the water ratio worked out so no issues there anymore.

The soap continues to be consistent with my first review - provides great protection, but the post shave continues to be very drying. That's not a huge issue for me, but others may have a different opinion.

Aside from the post shave feel, the soap is turning in a solid performer. One thing I noticed is that I only need a very small amount of soap in the bowl to make more than enough lather. We are talking a small smear on my finger and if that keeps up, the soap will last a very long time. :001_tongu

FarmerTan

Update from this morning: I have the water ratio worked out so no issues there anymore.

The soap continues to be consistent with my first review - provides great protection, but the post shave continues to be very drying. That's not a huge issue for me, but others may have a different opinion.

Aside from the post shave feel, the soap is turning in a solid performer. One thing I noticed is that I only need a very small amount of soap in the bowl to make more than enough lather. We are talking a small smear on my finger and if that keeps up, the soap will last a very long time. :001_tongu
Man. I don't like the drying thing... I wonder if a little tiny bit of olive oil preshave or anything else you already have on hand might help?

Edit: yeah, it sure sounds like it'll last awhile. I'm amazed sometimes at how little soap you really need. My brush I never rinse I've actually just wet it a little bit a few times and used it to face lather without adding any soap and managed to get enough for a two pass shave.

Update from this morning is no different than the other sessions I have had with the soap.

So my final thoughts are:

Pros:
  • Excellent lather, very thick and very protective
  • A little goes a long way
  • The scent is pleasant, but does change to a floral potpourri when lathered
Cons:
  • Only one - post shave is very drying for me.

I enjoy his soap, it's lathering capabilities are very good and provide excellent protection. The dryness isn't a big deal for me as I always use a splash or balm.

While this soap will not go into the daily rotation, it will make for a nice change of pace when we are in the doldrums of winter or dog days of summer. :001_tongu

Top Bottom