What's new

How much is your shave property value?

Photos first then maybe a value. First I will tell my sad flood story. 2016 we had record flooding in our area. We had 5' of water in the house. Had to be taken out in a boat. Shaving supplies, tools, reloading equipment and almost everything else does not float. Sandi, the dogs and I got out and were ok, that was the most important thing everything else is replaceable. Some of my shave collection was in the garage and some was on the second floor. Sorted thru things some was able to be saved others not. Plastic, glass, porcelain, and non ferris metals did ok after cleaning. Items made of steel, paper and wood not so good. The thing that upsets me the most is that the items lost will not be enjoyed by others. So now I am in the process of reducing what I have so others can enjoy it.

7F614341-B382-4461-86D6-7E91159FF774_1_105_c.jpeg759BB7F7-5A80-44D4-A5D6-DA6B7542C0E6_1_105_c.jpegB9A7B081-4A65-4221-9701-8C0285CFE6F1_1_105_c.jpeg1644816142549.png

Overall still a $8500 plus collection. As we all know these razors are not being made any more.

Only a couple of dozen? Come on, you can do better than that. How about a few matching seven-day sets of straight razors?

Two dozen straights is just fine as I also use DE razors and a couple of SE razors (one uses AC blades, the other Schick injector). I like variety in my shaves, so a matching 7-day set would not be my style. I am considering adding a Feather DX shavette one day.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh boy what a question… honestly now that I think about it, probably not as much as I would guess? A lot of my razors are aluminum (I like aluminum razors) which -usually- don’t cost much. I would say my brushes probably? Maybe? Are worth more, but even then its prob not crazy.

On a personal level I -do- find myself buying hardware much less, and much less offen but moving more towards pricier items when I do. Saving my bullets or something I dunno. Its a slower and more enjoyable ride.

Being a retired accountant, I am embarrassed to say I haven't kept tract of how much I have spent on my den. But, why bother to do so. I have a comfortable retirement income; I only buy items when something needs to be replaced.
My physical inventory as of this morning:

3 Razors
2 brushes (1 in storage, for now)
99 Blades
Tub of Catties Bubbles soap(in waiting)
Tub of Barber Shop soap (in waiting)
Small container of Cella (to be used up before the soaps)
One plastic shaving bowl
2 after shaves.

I often ponder how many razors are purchased with the rational it will last my lifetime and then some. It will be an heirloom razor and will be passed down to loved one. Then the true reality is the razors end up on a garage sale table with a five dollar price tag.

The key items in my den are going in my will as an itemized list with approximate values at the time. If my son doesn't want to keep them, he can at least get their proper value, hehe.

In soaps I have somewhere around $150, blades maybe $250, brushes around $75, miscellaneous things (toiletries bag, storage containers, etc) maybe another $100-200.

But my 5 razor collection steps it up a notch, heh. First gen Tradere OC, Tradere SB, first run Weber DLC with both handles, RazoRock Game Changer with 4 base plates, and a Fendrihan Mk II. Not really a lot of reliable info on pricing that I can find, but definitely over $1000 all together. Not that I would ever sell the Traderes though.

I will eventually sell/trade the Fendrihan and end up with an RR Lupo. Might sell the Weber too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have around 30 straight razors. I guess the value is somewhere north of $1k. I have nothing else of any value. Cheap soap and aftershave and a couple of modest brushes and a good strop. I’ve stayed away from the popular rabbit holes I guess.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have around 30 straight razors. I guess the value is somewhere north of $1k. I have nothing else of any value. Cheap soap and aftershave and a couple of modest brushes and a good strop. I’ve stayed away from the popular rabbit holes I guess.
When you is as purdy as we are, you can smell like cheap soap and aftershave doggone!

It is kind of embarrassing, and this doesn’t include all the things I have bought and sold for less, I don’t want to even think what that total would be.

What I currently have:

Brushes: $2,800.00
Razors: $. 500.00
Blades: $. 300.00
Soap: $. 930.00

Total: $4,530.00

Damn that is embarrassing, only good thing is what I spend from here out will be small, started shaving 18 months ago. That is about $250.00 per month that average will decrease a lot this year.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It is kind of embarrassing, and this doesn’t include all the things I have bought and sold for less, I don’t want to even think what that total would be.

What I currently have:

Damn that is embarrassing, only good thing is what I spend from here out will be small, started shaving 18 months ago. That is about $250.00 per month that average will decrease a lot this year.
As long as your family is still being fed, you are doing fine.

If you are helping make sure other people's kids are being fed, then you are doing great my friend.

What I currently have:

In a similar place. Dove heavily into wet shaving Sept 2020. At that point I had 1 soap in use, 1 back-up puck, and a 10yr old brush (and giving my money to Gillette for razors). In the 18 months since then I have spent (or received as gifts)

$3600 on razors (I tracked this) 62 straights and 1 DE plus a small # of DE blades
~$1000 on strops, hones, brushes and other HW (hones are at least half of that)
~$300 on SW

But as @SgtCrppls stated, I think I’m over the hump. I just successfully completed the Feb 2022 GRUME and near-term there is nothing on my wish list. So the run rate should stay much lower for the rest of the year at least.

There is also the value of what I learned. At this point I am reasonably confident that I can restore and hone almost any salvageable straight razor, I have made straight razor scales and shaving brush handles. Still enjoying myself immensely, even as I exit the mass-acquisition phase.

Top Bottom