What's new

INFO! Check Six - Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month & PIF in Post #6

March is colorectal cancer awareness month and screening saves lives.

Regular screening, beginning at age 45, is the key to preventing colorectal cancer. The recommended screening age was 50 but colorectal cancer rates are rising fastest among the under 50 age group. There are several screening options available so talk to your primary care provider. Colorectal polyps and colorectal cancer don’t always cause symptoms especially at first. I had none other than being tired which my primary care provider told me was because I was getting older. That is why getting screened regularly for colorectal cancer is so important. When caught early survival rates are very good. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the ones that you would be leaving behind.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Have you been checked within the last 6 months? Post here and tell us you did.
If you get checked this month, post here. Let your fellow members know that it's nothing to worry about.

I got checked very recently. Aside from the taste of the cocktails they serve, it's really a cake walk!

Men are typically less likely to get checked or take action on a medical issue.

Don't be that guy!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm due in another 3-5 years. One of the nurses when I was done the last time is a walking buddy (her and her husband), but she retired in January, so now I'm going to have to flash strangers.

PIF Alert!

If anyone (i) schedules an appointment with their GP or Gastroenterologist, (ii) sees their GP or Gastroenterologist, or (iii) has a colonoscopy/endoscopy performed this month, I will enter you into a drawing to win a NIB Art of Shaving Tallow Shave Soap (unscented) with Wooden Bowl. B&B Honor Code applies here, gentlemen.

Phil's right, too many of us don't see a doctor, so that's why I'm expanding eligibility for this PIF. Go see your doc and take care of yourself. Too many people are counting on you being around for a long time.

I'm on the 3 year plan and not due yet. I do need to get it scheduled for next year as things are taking a lot longer now since COVID.
PIF Alert!

If anyone (i) schedules an appointment with their GP or Gastroenterologist, (ii) sees their GP or Gastroenterologist, or (iii) has a colonoscopy/endoscopy performed this month, I will enter you into a drawing to win a NIB Art of Shaving Tallow Shave Soap (unscented) with Wooden Bowl. B&B Honor Code applies here, gentlemen.

Phil's right, too many of us don't see a doctor, so that's why I'm expanding eligibility for this PIF. Go see your doc and take care of yourself. Too many people are counting on you being around for a long time.
Very generous of you! Thank you for doing this.

For those dreading the screening there are newer options available like Cologuard for those of average risk. For those needing a colonoscopy which is the "gold standard", the prep is not pleasant but the procedure isn't bad. Best sleep I have had in years.

PIF Alert!

I happen to have an appointment on the 25th.

PIF Alert!

Anyone interested in this, BTW, can either post in this thread or send me a PM.

Just do it!

Prepping for the procedure is the worst of it.

Then it's easy....You go in, you count backward from 100 as they inject you with happy juice, you wake up at home, sitting on the couch holding an egg McMuffin and watching The Price Is Right.

I'm on the 3 year plan. Family history. They always find something to talk about, but nothing scary. Fortunately.

Did the butt camera thing last December.

Upper G.I. right afterward. All went well….hate the prep. All the technology in the world and that’s the best they could do? Miralax???

Knew a guy named Jim Holt..high profile Sheriff of Martin County Florida. Even made it on national TV. He had reservations about anyone getting too close to his rear end. Died of prostate cancer.

Used to be a fan of a recording artist named Dan Fogleberg. Very popular, very talented. Now very dead…prostate cancer.

My brother in law grew a huge tumor in his nether region because he decided no one was spelunking around his fanny. Surely could have been worse. He died of emphysema though.

Point being:I’ll put up with medical personnel doing what they deem necessary around my backside if it will keep me healthy.

Last edited:
Mom passed away from colon cancer at the ripe old age of 86. I also lost a co-worker in his early 40's because he was either too ashamed of going in or, for whatever reason just didn't seek help. He died too young from colon cancer.

I've had two procedures since the age of 48 and am on the "5 year plan". Took care of this last March so I'm good to go.

If you are on the fence, get over to the winning side and get the screening done and then follow up with your regimen when that time comes. It's the best "nap" you'll ever have anyway.

Stay safe and healthy. Not in on the PIF, not qualified.

Just got my first at age 48. The internets don’t talk about the important things like, get a toilet seat cushion. You will be there for 3-5 hours the night before. Also, get an earlier appointment because you will be very hungry regardless after fasting. It was a much easier experience than I figured and my next one will be much less stressful. If anyone has questions getting their first, I welcome any pm’s. I have a list for next time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just got my first at age 48. The internets don’t talk about the important things like, get a toilet seat cushion. You will be there for 3-5 hours the night before. Also, get an earlier appointment because you will be very hungry regardless after fasting. It was a much easier experience than I figured and my next one will be much less stressful. If anyone has questions getting their first, I welcome any pm’s. I have a list for next time.
I never had an issue with long clearing times :lol1:
Even the taste of the clearing fluid isn't THAT bad. Ok, I wouldn't order it from the menu, but if chilled, it's palatable.
I can wholeheartedly agree that an early appointment is best, then go out for breakfast afterwards!

The first colonoscopy I ever had, I also was scheduled for an endoscopy. The Doc asked if I had any questions before they put me out and I asked him "Can you make sure you do the endoscopy first?"

I have two more years left on my warranty before the next check up. I do NOT plan on going in any earlier. Here is a photo of me from my last:
10624673_10204476076601835_242326721687524630_n.jpg

Top Bottom