What's new

THIRTEENTH ANNUAL One blade in February challenge 2022 edition

Gillette SA (on 9); Swede (14); Mama Bear's Black Code SS; Semogue SOC Boar; Lather Bros Soaring Fire A/S

Another BBS shave. Amazing how changing the blade from one razor to another can change the feeling of the shave.

OBiF 14.jpg

marty

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
27 of 27
IMG_20220227_125050.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: King C Gillette(27)
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

My Fine Lavender Pour Homme special occasion soap came out for tonight's shave and it really lifted this shave, I love the scent and the performance.
The shave left me with yet another near BBS the blade once again delivering despite 81 passes (plus a few touch up passes). Looking forward to tomorrow's final shave of the challenge. Once I complete the FFFM Challenge I will return to this blade and see just how far I can push it.

2022 OBIF (Entrant 31) Blade 2, Shave 13
1939-RFB-R_2022-02-27.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Neutro
Razor: 1939 silver plated Gillette NEW RFB GT (6)
Blade: Willy's (13)
ASL: Orange FREEZE [home brew]

A fine shave. :biggrin:
I'd forgotten how delightfully shocking my strong alcohol and mentholated ASL was. :velva2:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

February 27

Blade:
Shark Super Stainless (27)
Razor: Gillette flat bottom tech with substitute handle
Soap: ARKO
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic

While I like the flat bottom tech, the handle that came with mine is just too thin. I've swapped in the handle from Col. Conk's Major. ARKO works for me, and tonight the Shark delivered a DFS.

2022-02-27 19.15.44.jpg

OBIF 2022 EndGame #15
(missed all updates from 11-14)

IMG_20220228_085604.jpg

What a way to complete the challenge and this journey with you fellow shavers 🤗

6th shave of the 2nd blade, no signs of dying yet. First one did managed 9 shaves in Fatip OC SE, so from blade perspective my findings are such:
- no major diff. between mild/aggressive razors, at least not for me
- best I could do before were 3-5 shaves/blade (majority of brands) maybe up to 8 with PermaSharp so Personna Platinum did exceed my expectations, both with durability and comfort. Definitelly the most comfort/gentle/smooth blade I've used so far.
- for my country shipp. cost makes it less attractive unless joined with other equipment to complete parcel, still for 1.5€ for 10 blades it's high in my list of best-buys (I can get ~15 PermaSharp blades or 20ish AstraSP for same price)
- no cuts for entire months, all weepers reported are due to soaps and brushes combos
- no AS feedback after shaves, both Fatip and Mühle, blade performed agnostic to razor really
- def. will hunt for those whenever I can 😎 nice blade if you have tougher beard which normally eats blade after 3-4 shaves

Personna Platinum - kudos to you 👏

Shaves #18-24

Razor: Feather DX
Blade: Feather Super Pro (28-34?)
Brush: Simpsons 59
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Final weekly report. The blade has reached the end of its life for me. With proper lather and technique it doesn't tug or pull, but it is no longer pleasant. Nonetheless, the results are very good.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

OBIF Shave # 28

Blade
# 1
Shave # 25

Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Lvl 3
Super-Max Diamond Edge SP 💎
PAA Doppelganger
PAA Peregrino brush

The final shave of OBIF'22 !

Shave # 25 on the blade felt below average, which I attribute the slickness of the lather. I think that I may have over loaded the PAA CK6 formula a bit too much which was user error.

Three full passes for a fantastic close DFS. Zero irritation with alum block.

I am overwhelmed - 25 shaves on what would be considered a middle of the line, commodity blade from India - Wow !

The only regret is to have given up on this blade # 1 in between and log 3 shaves on a new blade. I must acknowledge all the participants for being verbose in their daily shave reports, which gave me so many insights to carry on and go back to the first blade after copying ideas from them. Thank you all so much !

OBIF'22 has taught me a number of valuable lessons, which is the best thing to happen to since I started wet shaving more than a decade ago.

Congratulations to everyone who participated, everyone is a winner here 👏

Grateful to @Mike M for starting this thread this year.

Tomorrow I start FFFMM ! 😎

1646038502555.jpg
1646038574064.jpg

Last edited:
Time to retire my Astra SP blade. 60 shaves in Jan and Feb. An unknown number from October to December. I'm pretty sure it was about 50 shaves in those three months.

The blade isn't worn out yet, but I want to start with a fresh blade tomorrow for FFFMM.

I like ARCO. I had my third shave with it today. It took a bit to get used to a stick.

OBiF Final shave.

A first and a last.
My first 28 shaves with a Lab Blue, ever.
And last and final shave of the month.

IMG-4139_DSC_4139 (2).JPG

Muhle R41
Personna Lab Blue (28)
Yaqi Aqua High Mountain Badger
TOBS Sandalwood
Proraso Red

IMG-4144_DSC_4144 (2).JPG

The blade has performed really well, in fact I will keep it and try to squeeze a few more shaves out of it when FFFMM is over.

OBiF Shave #28
Schick Type G5
Schick Injector (30)
Cella (brick)
WCS 26mm Silvertip

Thank you @Mike M for starting this thread and thanks to all participants who provided positive comments, contributions, and support. This has been my most comfortable and trouble-free OBiF challenge to date. The blade has performed admirably and still has a few shaves remaining; I plan to continue using the razor and blade for the rest of the week. Simply amazing.

I had originally planned to use WTG-only shaves in an effort to extend the life of the blade. That proved to lead to unsatisfactory results and the plan was abandoned after only one day. The plan also proved to be totally unnecessary as a return to my regular multi-pass routine provided some of the best shaves in recent memory. This razor/blade combination is a definite winner.

Be well and stay safe...

Shave #26

IMG_0701.jpeg

Blade: Schick Super Stainless (3)
Razor: Yates 921-M
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Soap: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato
AS: Fine American Blend
ASB: Nivea Sensitive

Well, I feel like a quitter for not dragging the original blade the last three shaves, it could have made it. Regardless this really helped me solidify my technique and I commend all those who participated. Another result of this challenge is that I got to take a blade farther than I ever had before, so I guess that is a win.

Today's shave was a two and a half pass BBS.

On a side note, the Best knot in this decade old "chubby" rivals any of the Super knots I have or tried.

Top Bottom