What's new

33 blades in 3 years shaving daily.

I can’t believe, I used 33 blades in 3 years since I started wet shaving :)

In 2019 I bought my first razor (Rockwell 6C), 4 tubes of Proraso Red, 200 Astra SP blades, a Yaqi Sagrada Família, a Semogue 830 and a Captain’s Choice ceramic bowl.

Today I was cleaning and organizing some things. I’ve been keeping the used blades to find some way to recycle them and out of the blue I decided to count them. I used 5 tucks of Astra SP, 1 tuck of Astra SS and 3 Wilkinson Swords. I have 3 blades in use right now in my razors (2 Silvers and 1 Astra SP).

I saved a lot of money until October 2020 when I join B&B before Black Friday :(

47BD6A25-1E63-480A-9743-0D63E85D0EA9.jpeg

Usually 10-12 shaves per blade.

When I bought the 6C, I use mostly plates 2 and 3 and never purchase BBS, DFS, etc. I didn’t know that terms exist :).

I have a thin beard (not dense), my whiskers are straight and grow in the same direction. I think because of that the blades have more longevity. Although, I only get closer shaves using aggressive razors.

I just discarded 3 containers of blades....didn't count them.... I use them 2-4d (but it's head and face). Maybe I should see how long a blade lasts me for face..... . I actually put blades in their wrap then they go into the container (mostly).

Hard to imagine. I remember when Wilkinson Stainless blades were introduced (early sixties?) promising that one didn't have to use a new blade for every shave. Now, using GSB blades, I feel a tug after one shave. After three shaves, It's usually done and out for me. After 30 shaves, dob't the blades become completely dull? What's the secret?

In the beginning I pushed the blade until it’s completely dull. I was alternating with a electric shaver and spent my last cartridges. But for sure I shave each blade for 10-15 shaves in average.

Ignorance is a bless ;) Took more than 1,5 years to learn how to proper lather a soap. I used to fill the soap tube with water.

After 4 months of B&B I learned a lot. Also, now I have ZAMAKphobia, RAD, SAD and spent hundreds in new gear :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In the beginning I pushed the blade until it’s completely dull. I was alternating with a electric shaver and spent my last cartridges. But for sure I shave each blade for 10-15 shaves in average.

Ignorance is a bless ;) Took more than 1,5 years to learn how to proper lather a soap. I used to fill the soap tube with water.

After 4 months of B&B I learned a lot. Also, now I have ZAMAKphobia, RAD, SAD and spent hundreds in new gear :)
Personally I would electric shave before carts. I have a Panasonic Arc-5 and a Norelco. They don't get used anymore, but seriously with Williams lectric shave they did the job great. It's just that I enjoy a wet shave more.

I know some electrics allow for a wet shave, tried that and absolutely hated it.

That is amazing. I can’t fathom, or believe, the guys who claim 30+ shaves with any DE blade.
I don’t thick facial hair but mine is like little steel bristles. I am lucky to get 5 shaves from even the best new and vintage blades.

Same here. I used to get Panasonics since I was a teenager. The Arc shaves really well, I just enjoy wet shaving more. I like the Zen feeling and the post shave is better.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Hard to imagine. I remember when Wilkinson Stainless blades were introduced (early sixties?) promising that one didn't have to use a new blade for every shave. Now, using GSB blades, I feel a tug after one shave. After three shaves, It's usually done and out for me. After 30 shaves, dob't the blades become completely dull? What's the secret?
When did the DE blades get thin. I have read that older blades were quite a bit thicker, when did they thin.

Last edited:
So, if I understand correctly: 10 to 12 shaves per blade X 33 blades = 396 shaves...over a three-year period. Then you are not a daily shaver?
I didn’t know what I did. I don’t remember how and why I bought my first razor. If I was watched a YT video or saw an advertisement.

I remember I want to buy a Futur and want to save some money with wet shaving. I must read some article online. At the time there wasn’t any tutorial in my language.

When I get the razor, I remember a YT tutorial from a guy which sank the puck in the sink. My lathers are awful :) When I kill a tube of Proraso and change for Arko, the soap dried out my skin because I didn’t hydrate the lather enough.

It’s funny when you do some really wrong and you didn’t realize it. ;)

Top Bottom