What's new

Quest for a better shave

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That’s too many mysteries! Some executives at Lord are mercilessly chortling all the way to the bank. It’s not dying down before the bank is reached.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@GBerry @thombrogan hi there, I am just looking at a 100 pack of Shark Platinum, Shark Super Stainless and also Shark Super Chromes... and then I read LORD does basically make the very same blades under different names for different regions/market, Big Ben e.g. for the UK. Now I saw you were wondering if a new Lord blade is the same as a known Shark blade, too... :001_rolle

:001_rolle:rolleyes1:rolleyes5 <- that's the three of us, no idea who is who, though. Sames as for the blades. There might be differences! :lol:

I saw you shaved a lot with the 3ONE6, a razor I felt was always underappreciated from the get go. For not being a steel DE89, first and foremost. I will do a comparison shave with the Mühle Rocca soon, both have a lot of head geometry in common, but still shave differently. I believe its mostly the shape of the safety bar that is responsible for that.

Stay safe in the storm, Northern Europe is going to be hit hard, but I will be in a relatively calm zone, Britain and Ireland however seem to get hit a lot harder.

P.S. recommend me a Shark/Lord blade? What would you recommend, razor specific differences or is there a clear favorite?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you, @Iridian I’ve only used the Shark Platinum and not enough.

Lots of experimentation, enjoyment, and exultation by @Cafebarian and @Crisp Rat here:

Stay safe from that storm. @GBerry and I are in the United States so we’re potentially good until hurricane season (fingers crossed).

@GBerry - whether they’re verifiably the same or not, do they feel the same?
Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Shark Platinum
2 blades 6 shaves
The Shark Platinum blades delivered very good shaves without cuts or irritation. The shaves were very close and smooth. 5 were DFS+ shaves and 1 was a DFS. The blades dull quickly in the third shave.

Lord Platinum New
2 blades 6 shaves
2 nicks; No irritation; very close
5 DFS+ and 1 BBS
All pleasant shaves. I would be hard pressed to tell these apart from the Shark Platinums. Both deliver DFS+ shaves plus or minus and each blade can yield 3 shaves. A good blade to have around.

They feel about the same and the shave results are close enough to say they are the same.

@GBerry @thombrogan hi there, I am just looking at a 100 pack of Shark Platinum, Shark Super Stainless and also Shark Super Chromes... and then I read LORD does basically make the very same blades under different names for different regions/market, Big Ben e.g. for the UK. Now I saw you were wondering if a new Lord blade is the same as a known Shark blade, too... :001_rolle

:001_rolle:rolleyes1:rolleyes5 <- that's the three of us, no idea who is who, though. Sames as for the blades. There might be differences! :lol:

I saw you shaved a lot with the 3ONE6, a razor I felt was always underappreciated from the get go. For not being a steel DE89, first and foremost. I will do a comparison shave with the Mühle Rocca soon, both have a lot of head geometry in common, but still shave differently. I believe its mostly the shape of the safety bar that is responsible for that.

Stay safe in the storm, Northern Europe is going to be hit hard, but I will be in a relatively calm zone, Britain and Ireland however seem to get hit a lot harder.

P.S. recommend me a Shark/Lord blade? What would you recommend, razor specific differences or is there a clear favorite?
For Shark/Lord, I prefer the Shark Platinum or the Lord Platinum New for the smoothness. I seem to be getting DFS or DFS+ with them. I just started the Lord Platinum Class today so should have something in 5 days or so.

Truth be told, I need a tad sharper blade. Gillette Perma-Sharp Gold box, Gillette Platinum or Polsilver SI are solid blades for the 3ONE6.

BTW, your posts are very interesting.

Take care and Happy Shaves.

@Iridian

7B707A33-EBBF-4F40-A2FF-C92938F232E7.jpeg

Note, the Lord Platinum Class is labeled Lord Super Stainless

43ECAB9C-2648-4C96-B45A-852A4E8D1B42.jpeg

Holograms were intact.

E63CADDE-8F98-4C3A-AB07-FADB9E4811E8.jpeg

I’m out of the Lord Platinum New

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled handle
Blade: Lord Platinum Class (2)

Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Vanilla Sandalwood
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Facial Toner Witch Hazel Rose

1 nick healed on rinse, No irritation, very close and very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ shave. The blade was definitely very smooth.

Is Lord Platinum Class the same as Shark Platinum?

Is Lord Platinum Class the same as Lord Platinum New?

I’m going to wait and see.

Shave on!!!

Blade: Lord Platinum Class (3)

No nicks, No irritation, close and smooth. A pleasant DFS shave. Blade is ready for recycling.

Shave Summary 02/17/2022

Shave on!!!

Blade: Lord Platinum Class (1)

No nicks, No irritation, very close and very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ shave.

Shave Summary 02/17/2022

Shave on!!!

Shave Summary 02/17/2022

Shave on!!!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Shave on!!!
My 3ONE6 / Rocca comparison shave will happen in a few hours. Already made photos and prepared a text. Used Feathers, as this is what EJ puts in their packages by default. And because I "know" them. Will resume Shark blade testing after this shave.

Do you rather ride the cap or the safety bar when shaving with the 3ONE6? I think the design and angle/shape of the safety bar is the defining difference between Rocca and 3ONE6.

Blade: Lord Platinum Class (3)

No nicks, No irritation, very close and very smooth. A pleasant DFS shave.

Shave Summary 02/17/2022
Shave on!!!

My 3ONE6 / Rocca comparison shave will happen in a few hours. Already made photos and prepared a text. Used Feathers, as this is what EJ puts in their packages by default. And because I "know" them. Will resume Shark blade testing after this shave.

Do you rather ride the cap or the safety bar when shaving with the 3ONE6? I think the design and angle/shape of the safety bar is the defining difference between Rocca and 3ONE6.
I use as close to neutral as I can get with the less sharp blades. With the Gillette PermaSharp gold box, I ride the cap a bit and move toward neutral if I need it.

Blade: Lord Platinum Class (1)

Shave Summary 02/17/2022

Shave on!!!

No nicks, No irritation, very close and very smooth. A pleasant DFS shave.

Shave Summary 02/17/2022

Shave on!!!

Testing Summary 20220226
(a work in progress)

Derby Extra
3 blades 6 shaves
average score 0.983
Excellent first shave and then dulls fast resulting in a nick or not a close shave.

Derby Premium
3 blades 6 shaves
Average score 0.9875
This blade makes a very good first shave.
Second shaves yield either irritation, nicks or not close enough. An average shave.

Parker Premium Platinum
3 blades 6 shaves
Average score: 0.950
1/6 shaves had irritation
5/6 shaves had nicks or cuts
2/6 shaves were not close
2/6 shaves were not smooth
There is no reason to continue struggling with this blade.

Astra Superior Platinum
2 blades 8 shaves
Average score: 0.996875
This combo produces excellent shaves with few issues. No irritation, 1 nick in 8 shaves, very close and very smooth. The 1 nick was probably technique related. The shaves are near BBS.

Shark Super Stainless
2 blades 8 shaves
Average score 0.975
No nicks or cuts, no irritation, very smooth blade. Closeness was DFS or DFS+.

Shark Super Chrome (first set)
3 blades 8 shaves
Average score 0.981
Some nicks & cuts and closeness issues

Shark Super Chrome (second set)
2 blades 8 shaves
Average score 0.972
1 shave with irritation
2 shaves with nicks
6 shaves not very close. DFS or DFS+ results.
The blades stayed smooth 4 shaves each. It would be nice if I could consistently make DFS+.

Shark Platinum
3 blades 8 shaves
Average score 1.000
IMO the best of the Sharks

Silver Star Super Stainless
3 blades 8 shaves
Average score 0.997
A very good blade that retains smoothness and sufficient sharpness through 3 shaves in the EJ 3ONE6.

Egyptian Bolzano Superinox
3 blades 10 shaves
Average score: 0.9925
This blade produced excellent shaves. Most were BBS or near BBS. Nicks or cuts were produced on 3 of the 10 shaves.

Personna Lab Blue
Razor: Merkur HD34C
2 blades 5 shaves
Average score 0.980
No nicks or cuts, no irritation, very smooth. Closeness was mostly DFS+.

ASCO Super Stainless Orange
2 blades 6 shaves
Average score 0.9875
No nicks or cuts, no irritation, very smooth. Closeness was mostly DFS+. Blades appear to be good for 3 shaves.

ASCO Super Stainless Red/Blue
2 blades 4 shaves
Average score 0.99375
No nicks or cuts, no irritation, very smooth. Mostly DFS+ or BBS shaves. Blade lasts two shaves.

Gillette Perma-Sharp Gold box
Rex Supply Co Envoy
3 blades 15 shaves
Average score: 1.0
No nicks or cuts, no irritation, mostly BBS in shave quality and closeness, very smooth result. All a pleasant shave experience.
The blades last 5 shaves easily.

Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Gillette Perma-Sharp (Gold Box)
2 blades used on 10 shaves
On the first blade, 3rd shave, a nick on the chin was created which kept reopening on subsequent shaves. I shaved with less efficient tools for 2 days allowing this site to heal. First two shaves on this blade were excellent showing the potential of this combo.

On the second blade I started with a facial cleanser and showered after shaving. Additionally, I used a much lighter touch and used caution on the chin area. With those two changes, the combo achieved 5 really nice shaves.

At this time I prefer the Rex Envoy + Gillette Perma-Sharp combo over the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 + Gillette Perma-Sharp. The Envoy appears more efficient with less risk of creating a nick. However, it is very easy to over shave with it. The 3ONE6 appears less efficient and easier to generate cuts or nicks. However, I’m not likely to over shave with it. There maybe another blade that makes the 3ONE6 truly shine.

Rex Supply Co Envoy
Bic Chrome Platinum
2 blades 8 shaves
8 irritation free shaves ranging from DFS to BBS
These blades are not as sharp as the Gillette Perma-Sharp (Russia) but they are nice and smooth through 4 shaves.

Rex Supply Co Envoy
Shark Platinum
2 blades 6 shaves
6 irritation free shaves ranging from DFS to BBS.
These blades are not as sharp as other blades but they are very smooth. I strongly suspect the first blade was a dud. It felt ready to be binned.

RazoRock GC68-P
Lord Platinum Class
1 blade 3 DFS+ shaves

RazoRock Mamba 0.53
Shark Platinum
1 blade 3 shaves 2 DFS+ 1 DFS

RazoRock Mamba 0.53
Lord Platinum Class
1 blade 3 shaves 2 DFS+ and 1 DFS

The Lord Platinum Class and Shark Platinum performed the same in the RazoRock Mamba 0.53. I could not observe any appreciable difference.

The RazoRock GC68-P made it a bit easier to achieve a consistent DFS+ using the Lord Platinum Class.

Muhle R89
Gillette Silver Blue
1 blade 5 shaves
First four shaves:
No nicks, No irritation, Very Smooth and pleasant DFS+ shaves.
Fifth shave: 1 nick, No irritation, very smooth and pleasant DFS+

Muhle R89
ASCO Orange
1 blade 3 shaves
No nicks, No irritation, very close, very smooth and pleasant DFS shaves.

ASCO Orange
1 blade 3 shaves
No cuts, No irritation, very smooth, very close and pleasant DFS+ shaves.

PolSilver Super Iridium
2 blades 7 shaves
On a fourth shave the blade dulls quickly so not worth the effort on a fourth shave.
The first 3 shaves produced the following:
No nicks, No irritation, very smooth, very close and pleasant BBS shaves.

Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Gillette Platinum
2 blades 8 shaves
These blades delivered excellent shaves without nicks or irritation. The blades feel smooth in use and also have a very good post shave feel. 4 BBS, 3 DFS+ and 1 DFS very pleasant shaves. This blade appears smoother than the PolSilver SI.

Shark Platinum
2 blades 6 shaves
The Shark Platinum blades delivered very good shaves without cuts or irritation. The shaves were very close and smooth. 5 were DFS+ shaves and 1 was a DFS. The blades dull quickly in the third shave.

Lord Platinum New
2 blades 6 shaves
2 nicks; No irritation; very close
5 DFS+ and 1 BBS
All pleasant shaves. I would be hard pressed to tell these apart from the Shark Platinums. Both deliver DFS+ shaves plus or minus and each blade can yield 3 shaves. A good blade to have around.

Lord Platinum Class
3 blades 9 shaves
1 nick; No irritation; 1 close; 8 very close; 1 smooth; 8 very smooth; 3 DFS; 6 DFS+
These blades feel smooth during the shave and have a smooth post shave feel. The Lord Platinum Class meets or beats the performance of the Lord Platinum New.

Cheers

Top Bottom