What's new

Mühle R41 vs. Mühle R41GS

Mühle R41 (l) vs. Mühle R41GS (r)

I have managed to get nice, bloodless BBS shaves with the R41+Feather. Very comfortable shaves!
I have NOT managed to get a nice, bloodless BBS with the R41+Willy's. The BBS is there, so is the blood (well, 1 or 2 minor cuts...).

Both top caps have exactly the same size. The Feather blade is wider than the Willy's, showing slightly more blade once mounted compared to the Willy's. (I swapped blades to see if it was definitely not the width of the cap!), The teeth of the comb of the zamak R41 are slightly softer edged than those of the machined R41GS. The only real difference between both razors is the material and handle size(regular R41 zamak 94mm 68gr, grande R41GS stainless 106mm 113gr).

I've had countless comfortable shaves with Willy's + Fatip Originale, so I cannot blame the blade...

What could be the reason why I'm struggling with the GS according to you? (I only had two shaves with it...)

IMG_6354.jpeg

I agree about the weight. It can make a difference for sure. I find the R41GS a little smoother than the regular R41. Maybe try a different blade to see if your results change. Watch the pressure as mentioned above with the GS. Hopefully after a few more shaves you'll get it all figured out.

I have the R41 and R41GS and can tell absolutely no difference between them in how they shave. I have eliminated the handles as a variable as I put a titanium handle on almost every three-piece razor I own (a couple have aluminium handles). Stainless steel handles are better suited for cooking and gardening tools, in my opinion.

So as you can see I have both, the GS is my daily driver which is about 5% more aggressive then the Reg one. That might be the reason.

Attachments

• 20211228_130715.jpg
    20211228_130715.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 88
It’s probably the difference in weight causing more pressure. There’s also a significant difference in balance, as I find the GS is weighted too much towards the handle. Another issue is that I find the R41 handle super slippery, which is exacerbated by the weight of the GS.

Try switching the zamak handle to the steel head and see whether you like it better.

The length of the handles also make for a remarkably different experience from my experience.

The R41GS handle is a bit lengthier to hold and use, than the nimble R41, but that is adjusted to over time.

The handle did not work for me. I changed it to a titanium handle. You then move the balance point further up. With a Timeless Crown TI handle the balance point is close to where I pinch hold the razor. Maybe it is just something you get used to over time.
The GS head does support the blade a little better. I can at least feel a small difference.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Main difference: Weight and balance. The GS also has the longer "Grande" handle.
Other differences: Friction of steel is different to chrome, and the handle, combined with the weight is quite a bit slippery.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Would the handle from Rockwell 6s fit to the zamac head of R41?
Yes, same thread, M5/5mm. But it would be matte steel vs shiny chrome. We recently had "1 Dollar" handles from Aliexpress that were basically Rockwells with Chrome coating, that would match. They were not stainless steel as claimed, though.

There are lots of handles out there, for every budget, size and preference...! Just look around in a forum about razors... here maybe. ;)

The only razors not quite fitting 5mm are Fatip (4,5) and the American 10/32 is usually fitting M5 thread, but you might feel it when screwing in that the fit is near but not identical. I can only think of some vintage Gillettes with 10/32 and my Chiseled Face razor right now, other than that and Fatip it is M5 for everything.

Yes, same thread, M5/5mm. But it would be matte steel vs shiny chrome. We recently had "1 Dollar" handles from Aliexpress that were basically Rockwells with Chrome coating, that would match. They were not stainless steel as claimed, though.

There are lots of handles out there, for every budget, size and preference...! Just look around in a forum about razors... here maybe. ;)

The only razors not quite fitting 5mm are Fatip (4,5) and the American 10/32 is usually fitting M5 thread, but you might feel it when screwing in that the fit is near but not identical. I can only think of some vintage Gillettes with 10/32 and my Chiseled Face razor right now, other than that and Fatip it is M5 for everything.
Uhh thanks for the information sir. I have been told that Rockwell 6S is a SAE#10 -32 thread. So I would need a new handle for the head too.

I wish I can find a good steel handle for 10 usd from a reliable seller in Aliexpress though.

My experience with the GS was not that stellar either. To be fair, I got the GS when it first dropped so it is possible that Muhle have refined it since launch as there are plenty of glowing reviews out there.

Nevertheless, for me, I found it down-right rough and plucky. In short it's not a patch on the humble zamak version :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
wish I can find a good steel handle for 10 usd from a reliable seller in Aliexpress though.
For 16 USD you can get steel handles in the USA from Westcoast Shaving. Shipping not included. For 15 EUR, shipping included, AliExpress offers some from Yaqi.

Maggards etc. also should be able to provide you with a handle. But not below 10 bucks. 16-18 is already a possible deal though.

As for the Rockwell being 10/32, didn't notice! I have screwed M5 handles on it already, but not yet the Rockwell handle on another head.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am quite surprised that the difference is perceived as being so substantial by some.

This said, maybe just switch the handles and see if it makes a difference before trying other solutions?

It’s probably the difference in weight causing more pressure. There’s also a significant difference in balance, as I find the GS is weighted too much towards the handle. Another issue is that I find the R41 handle super slippery, which is exacerbated by the weight of the GS.

Try switching the zamak handle to the steel head and see whether you like it better.
Good idea! I'll try that for sure.

At no point did I have the idea that the razor slipped in my hands...

I am quite surprised that the difference is perceived as being so substantial by some.

This said, maybe just switch the handles and see if it makes a difference before trying other solutions?
Substantial... Two tiny cuts vs. no cuts on a galactic scale cannot be considered substantial.
I haven't given up the fight though! When I first used the regular R41, there was also an 'adoption' period. I guess I grew too confident...

Top Bottom