What's new

New member says hello, and asks for new razor recommendation

Hi all! I'm new here, though I've browsed the forums in the past. I'm in my 50s, but only started DE shaving 4 or 5 years ago, and sometimes still feel like a newbie. I have coarse stubble and sensitive skin (especially the neck). I usually do WTGx2, XTG, ATG, then lots of buffing in problem areas just under my jawline and chin.

I have:
Parker 71R
Merkur 34C
Parker Semi Slant

I've tried these blades:
Astra (green package)
Treet
Gillette 7 O'clock
Gillette Silver Blue
Shark
Feather
Derby Premium
Derby Extra
Parker

I use the Merkur 34C most often. Unfortunately I'm terribly inconsistent with blade testing, not really keeping up with them well, but I think the ones that work best for me are Astra, Treet and Silver Blue. I didn't like Parker blades at all. I liked Feather, but could only really use them well with specific days' growth.

I just got the Semi Slant this past Christmas. At first, I was blown away at how it plowed through about 5 days' growth (the reason I wanted it), but the more I've used it, the harder I've found it has been on my sensitive skin, especially ATG. I recently noticed the blade doesn't seem consistent on each side. There's about the same amount of exposure, but one side usually lays almost flat against the guard, and the other sticks up a little higher, especially at one end. I don't know if that's a defect, but it makes me wonder if that's why I'm having trouble with it. I'm also now wondering if I should have bought an open comb for long growth instead of a slant. Thoughts?

My last shave was after a lazy 5 or 6 days, and I used the Semi Slant WTGx1, then everything else with the 34C. This worked pretty well, but was a bit annoying to have to switch.

Although I also suspect I still just need to improve my technique, and do more consistent blade testing, I'd still kinda like to buy a new razor (blame RAD). I'd like to be able to shave every other day comfortably, but also want to be able to plow through up to 5 days of growth occasionally. With the Merkur I can get a DFS pretty often with 4 days growth, but less than that will often burn my neck, and more growth is usually very uncomfortable with all the tugging.

I've been reading and watching reviews of the Razorock Game Changer and it looks promising, but I'm a little intimidated by the positive blade exposure due to my experience with the slant, and it's hard to tell which plate would suit me better. I'd love to find something that can help with my sensitive neck, and to reduce the amount of buffing needed in my problem areas.

I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Hi all! I'm new here, though I've browsed the forums in the past. I'm in my 50s, but only started DE shaving 4 or 5 years ago, and sometimes still feel like a newbie. I have coarse stubble and sensitive skin (especially the neck). I usually do WTGx2, XTG, ATG, then lots of buffing in problem areas just under my jawline and chin.

I have:
Parker 71R
Merkur 34C
Parker Semi Slant

I've tried these blades:
Astra (green package)
Treet
Gillette 7 O'clock
Gillette Silver Blue
Shark
Feather
Derby Premium
Derby Extra
Parker

I use the Merkur 34C most often. Unfortunately I'm terribly inconsistent with blade testing, not really keeping up with them well, but I think the ones that work best for me are Astra, Treet and Silver Blue.

Hi Lee! Welcome to B&B.

Merkur is a good middle of the road razor. The 34 pleases many. I have a 37, the 34's slightly twisted cousin. :) I like it.

As for blades I'm pretty much solid on the Astra SP ("Astra Green"). Also middle of the road. Driving in the middle of the road might get ya a ticket, but shaving in the middle of the road seems to be OK.

I just got the Semi Slant this past Christmas. At first, I was blown away at how it plowed through about 5 days' growth (the reason I wanted it), but the more I've used it, the harder I've found it has been on my sensitive skin, especially ATG.

I had one for a while. Look around for the "Tilted Picnic" slant reviews from a couple of years ago or so. It was an OK shaver but just didn't blow my kilt up. My son has it and uses it regularly.

I've been reading and watching reviews of the Razorock Game Changer and it looks promising, but I'm a little intimidated by the positive blade exposure due to my experience with the slant, and it's hard to tell which plate would suit me better. I'd love to find something that can help with my sensitive neck, and to reduce the amount of buffing needed in my problem areas.

I hear it's good. I'll admit I get most excited about slants and have just one non-slanted DE, the RazoRock BBS-OC. I find it to be a moderately mild and predictable razor with just enough OC closeness to turn out a DFS about every time. Sometimes a bit more, but I don't chase the baby.

One thing that stood out for me in your comments was that you tend to shave at rather long intervals to avoid skin irritation. I would suggest looking at your soaps and other skin products to see if you may have a bit of an allergy. I have sensitive neck skin and a couple of places on my scalp where irritation is easy. I discovered that using lukewarm water rather than hot, cool rather than warm lather, and cold water rinse at the end tends to hold that down.

Also, using a razor that can shave smooth, a blade that is mid-sharp and shaves smooth, and shaving mostly every two days helps. I get more irritation when I'm going through a heavy growth, but also if I shave every day, so I've got a good compromise.

Lots of things to try, and lots of advice, all to be found here somewhere!

O.H.

At first I shaved every other day because I thought redness and irritation was part of the game. Once my technique improved I was able to switch to shaving every day but, things improved the most when I skipped to two pass shaves. My skin is much happier and I get just as close a shave most of the time.

A razor I really like and often recommend is the Fatips, specifically the open comb slant but, you can get a safety bar version as well. Don’t break the bank but do a nice job. A game changer will be a slightly nicer razor as far as quality of materials and craftsmanship but, I much prefer my brass Karve open comb C plate to my game changer. Your mileage may vary of course. Good luck!

Hi Lee. Everyone is different but I found the perma sharp to be the blade that suits my coarse beard.
An adjustable is something to try, you can dial in varying aggression according to your needs. The Parker variant is relatively cheap and effective, if a little heavy.
Many people, myself included love the slim or the fatboy.
Try shaving with cool drinking water. Use alum, rinse cold and use a good balm after.

Hth

Bas

just one non-slanted DE, the RazoRock BBS-OC. I find it to be a moderately mild and predictable razor with just enough OC closeness to turn out a DFS about every time. Sometimes a bit more, but I don't chase the baby.
I read that the extreme curve of the RR BBS makes it a challenge to get under the nose when hair grows really close there - an issue I also have, so I kind of ruled that one out.

One thing that stood out for me in your comments was that you tend to shave at rather long intervals to avoid skin irritation. I would suggest looking at your soaps and other skin products to see if you may have a bit of an allergy. I have sensitive neck skin and a couple of places on my scalp where irritation is easy. I discovered that using lukewarm water rather than hot, cool rather than warm lather, and cold water rinse at the end tends to hold that down.
I guess it's a possibility, but seems unlikely to be an allergy for me. The razor burn is pretty consistent in the same areas no matter what soap I use. It's almost always the neck, where it's not only sensitive, but also has several different grain directions, and under my nose and between my bottom lip and chin when I go against the grain. If I skip ATG in those areas, I can usually get by with no burn... which I guess says more about my ATG technique! I usually shave after a shower, and use hot water before first lather, then warm water during, and cold rinse after.

Also, using a razor that can shave smooth, a blade that is mid-sharp and shaves smooth, and shaving mostly every two days helps. I get more irritation when I'm going through a heavy growth, but also if I shave every day, so I've got a good compromise.
I've pretty much never been able to shave daily without neck burn, especially during my cartridge days. I used to shave every 2-3 days before starting to work from home (I'm high risk for Covid), and usually had some neck burn when only 2 days.

Lots of things to try, and lots of advice, all to be found here somewhere!
Thanks for your reply!

At first I shaved every other day because I thought redness and irritation was part of the game. Once my technique improved I was able to switch to shaving every day but, things improved the most when I skipped to two pass shaves. My skin is much happier and I get just as close a shave most of the time.

A razor I really like and often recommend is the Fatips, specifically the open comb slant but, you can get a safety bar version as well. Don’t break the bank but do a nice job. A game changer will be a slightly nicer razor as far as quality of materials and craftsmanship but, I much prefer my brass Karve open comb C plate to my game changer. Your mileage may vary of course. Good luck!
When I just do two passes, it's not too bad as far as irritation, but the amount of stubble left really bugs me. I may just be looking for something I can't achieve with my skin. Thanks for the recommendations!

Welcome! I have a Parker semislant and have not noticed the problem you mention. Maybe you got a bad one...you could contact Parker and maybe send pictures, I've heard they take care of their customers.

For your RAD, I think the Rockwell 6C would be a good fit for you. And the blade exchange here at B&B could trade a few of your blades for some Perma Sharps and Nacets.

Hi Lee. Everyone is different but I found the perma sharp to be the blade that suits my coarse beard.
An adjustable is something to try, you can dial in varying aggression according to your needs. The Parker variant is relatively cheap and effective, if a little heavy.
Many people, myself included love the slim or the fatboy.
Try shaving with cool drinking water. Use alum, rinse cold and use a good balm after.
I have thought about an adjustable, and of those, I like the looks of the Parker the best. My main reason for not getting one is the shape of the heads look like they'd be trouble for me under my nose where the hair grows really close to it.

The owner of the local razor shop also suggested cool water throughout, and I had kind of forgotten that. I'll give it a try. I do always use alum and cold rinse afterwards, and I've found plain ol' Cetaphil lotion works best.

Welcome! I have a Parker semislant and have not noticed the problem you mention. Maybe you get a bad one...you could contact Parker and maybe send pictures, I've heard they take care of their customers.

For your RAD, I think the Rockwell 6C would be a good fit for you. And the blade exchange here at B&B could trade a few of your blades for some Perma Sharps and Nacets.
Thanks for that Parker feedback. I guess I should try contacting them.

I was seriously considering the 6C for a bit, but I think the large head size would annoy me, and the more I read, the more it sounded like I wouldn't use most of the lower numbers. I'm still not sure, but it does seem to be a good value for the settings choices.

Thanks for that Parker feedback. I guess I should try contacting them.

I was seriously considering the 6C for a bit, but I think the large head size would annoy me, and the more I read, the more it sounded like I wouldn't use most of the lower numbers. I'm still not sure, but it does seem to be a good value for the settings choices.

Yes, the 6C is a great value. I thought the same about the size of the head but really have no problem maneuvering it under my nose etc.
Another good one to give consideration is the Gillette slim adjustable. Some prefer the Fat Boy but I prefer the Slim for maneuverability under the nose etc. There was one recently for sale here on the BST, not sure if it's still available.

You may consider to but a Merkur 15C (an open comb). It is a timeless classic and very user friendly. It is not an expensive razor.
1645221330061.png

As a slant lover I may say Merkur 37C is another one slant that I can suggest. It is a very mild slant and user friendly. But I advice to not ATG pass with any slant. Slant geometry allows you to remove hairs even on your first WTG pass due to its slanted geometry. If you need you can make a XTG second pass which will be sufficient.

1645221382063.png

GC .84's balde exposure is not scary at all but you may consider to buy GC .68 which is a bit milder.

But I will repeate my suggestion of Merkur 15C which is a very good razor. And the existance reason of open combs is their ability to deal with long growth hairs thanks to their comb structure.

As a last a suggestion please make sure that your lather is well and enough hydrated. A dry lather (not well hydrated) may cause burns. Bright lather is sign of a well/enogh hydrated lather.

But I advice to not ATG pass with any slant. Slant geometry allows you to remove hairs even on your first WTG pass due to its slanted geometry. If you need you can make a XTG second pass which will be sufficient.
Yes, I have to admit ATG does feel pretty scary with my slant!

GC .84's balde exposure is not scary at all but you may consider to buy GC .68 which is a bit milder.

But I will repeate my suggestion of Merkur 15C which is a very good razor. And the existance reason of open combs is their ability to deal with long growth hairs thanks to their comb structure.

As a last a suggestion please make sure that your lather is well and enough hydrated. A dry lather (not well hydrated) may cause burns. Bright lather is sign of a well/enogh hydrated lather.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've struggled a little with that ATG pass, myself. There are some things that seem to make it work better for me. I now generally do a two-pass shave, WTG and ATG with all but older vintage razors. I found the XTG pass didn't really reduce stubble that much for me, but it did lay down 50 per cent more irritation. I stopped using a lather scuttle, which kinda sucks because I like scuttles. Cooler lather, cooler rinses seemed to help.

Lately I've been exploring the tactic of loosening up the handle just a tad. I find the Fatip Open Comb Slant leaves a bit, but if I open up 1/8 to 1/4 turn for the WTG pass it takes off more. The ATG pass is against hard hair, and I've found that screwing the handle down again lets me do a good ATG pass, then if desired I can open it up again and do a light cleanup pass that gets right down to smooth.

I have a Rex Konsul on the way, so it'll be interesting to get that thing dialled in.

O.H.

The 34C is a fine razor in the ’mild/moderate’ range that I also favor.

It appears that our blade choices overlap. Astra SP and GSB are favorites here. I also rank the following in my ’top tier’ (in no particular order):
Personna red
Personna lab
Nacet
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)

Before climbing into the ‘new razor’ rabbit hole, I suggest trying a few more blades, including those above, and working a bit on your technique. Just my $0.02!

Top Bottom