What's new

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with Noodles

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
1 whole fresh chicken, parted
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 tsp each, salt, black pepper, garlic. Optional, cayenne pepper to taste.
4oz olive oil
1oz Paprika
4 cups water

Oil in heating while parting chicken and chopping onions. Onions in, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika in. Mix well.

Once onions are cooked down a bit, pan hot, chicken in skin side down to sear on high. Once seared, add 4 cups water, heat to low, lid on, cracked slightly, to simmer and reduce while making noodles.

IMG_3574.JPG

Noodles.
2 eggs
3 cups flour
2 cups milk, adding cold water as needed for desired thickness. Thickness is critical. Better thicker than thinner.

This is the hard part and where experience is needed. I didnt have any haha but they still came out okay once I understood what I was trying to do.

Make a dough with flour, eggs and milk adding cold water slowly. What you want is a thick pancake type viscosity with few lumps. If you have lumps, work it longer but dont use a whisk. I used a slotted spoon and pressed it into the side of the mixing bowl to crush lumps. Small lumps are okay.

IMG_3573.JPG

2qt pan, 3/4 filled with water. Bring to a rapid boil. Once boiling, slowly pour mix in cutting it off with a spoon as you're pouring. You want each noodle to hit its own place on the bottom of the pot. Let sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute then stir gently so they dont stick. They need to hold their shape before stirring. Add enough to the pan that you can keep dropping them one at a time without sticking them together. Have a large bowl and a sieve next to the pot. The cooked noodles float when cooked. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drop on the sieve to drain and firm up.

IMG_3576.JPG

The amounts above will make ~1 quart of noodles. Once finished with the noodles, drop them a bit at a time in a pot or pan, add some now reduced sauce and stir. The noodles should be firm but not chewy.

IMG_3577.JPG

Plate. The chicken should fall apart, cover with sauce. Eat too much, go lay down.

IMG_3578.JPG

Thats the basics and how I did it. The oil, onions and seasoning should smell strong. if your head recoils away when you go to stir it, you're there lol. It mellows with the water and chicken and the chicken absorbs all the flavor really well.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Beautiful! I do like a plate of Magyar food occasionally. I used to live near Albany, Oregon and made regular pilgrimages to Novaks' Hungarian Paprikas -- an excellent Hungarian restaurant.

I hope they're still there. They had a fire a couple years ago after moving to a smaller location. Generally on my visits to the Old Home I would plan at least three meals there. I have a good Hungarian cookbook but having the experts make it is much, much better. (Though Mrs. Hippie has a loving hand with liver dumplings...)

O.H.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beautiful! I do like a plate of Magyar food occasionally. I used to live near Albany, Oregon and made regular pilgrimages to Novaks' Hungarian Paprikas -- an excellent Hungarian restaurant.

I hope they're still there. They had a fire a couple years ago after moving to a smaller location. Generally on my visits to the Old Home I would plan at least three meals there. I have a good Hungarian cookbook but having the experts make it is much, much better. (Though Mrs. Hippie has a loving hand with liver dumplings...)

O.H.

Thanks. The flavours were perfect. My dough making though, well, I havent been making it as long as my 85 year old mother but I think thats obvious haha. My family on my mothers side are Hungarian and thats how she's made it my entire life.

and to fill the nooks and crannies after the Parikash some Somlói Galuska…
View attachment 1409316

As good as that looks, theres no way I could have eaten that lol.

Some Pálinka too and then sleep well 👍

creosote.jpg

Old Hippie

Thanks. The flavours were perfect. My dough making though, well, I havent been making it as long as my 85 year old mother but I think thats obvious haha. My family on my mothers side are Hungarian and thats how she's made it my entire life.

Back in the 1980's when I was something of a "Gentleman of Substance" :) I used to go to Novak's about once a month. They had a couple of menu items that were must-have: a "Hunter's Plate" that was basically one of everything on the dinner menu; and a "Dessert Sampler" that was basically one of everything on the dessert menu. Oh my heavens it used to take all hands and the cook to squeeze me back out the door after all that!

The last few times I was in the area I'd go there for breakfast one day, lunch the next day, stop in the next afternoon for coffee and Dobos Torta, then plan to take my son out for dinner one evening if we could manage it. Probably ate just as much, just not all at one go. :)

When I do Hungarian noodles I generally make csipetke or "noodle dumplings" (some sources translate it as "dumpling noodles" so there isn't complete accord). Particularly good with gulyas.

O.H.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When I do Hungarian noodles I generally make csipetke or "noodle dumplings" (some sources translate it as "dumpling noodles" so there isn't complete accord). Particularly good with gulyas.

I think I need to invest in a Spaetzle maker. My nephew uses one and his noodles come out perfect.

81vDPoZBEoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

9a8dd31f3d9e1849973ca4641fc5e68af157c9c8.jpg

He also uses a countertop mixer which would make it much easier.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Esox and Ol' Hippie: your mission is successful. I'm dying over here! My mouth is literally watering!

That stuff looks and sounds delicious. Gotta show my lovely War Department those pictures.

I also didn't get her a gift for Valentine's day, so, if @Intrigued agrees, I will buy my lovely bride that romantical looking noodle maker..... if'n I wait awhile longer, I could also call it an early anniversary gift!

Man, I am ALWAYS thinking up new ways to show my love for that lucky girl!

FarmerTan

Hey @Multum in parvo : do you think I should go ahead and buy myself a nice watch for a late Valentine's day gift, and sign my wife's name on the card? You, she, and I all know I deserve it.

Musta just slipped her mind ya think? I'll have to ask Ol' @Whilliam what he thinks....there is strength in numbers...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Esox and Ol' Hippie: your mission is successful. I'm dying over here! My mouth is literally watering!

The chicken is surprisingly easy to make. The noodles, well, its an undertaking doing it by hand. I did find however that the next day, if you put them in a deep pan thats dry and break them up a bit with a spatula, they dry and crisp up nicely. I used the pan I fry my rice in and get it just as hot.

As a side note, make more sauce...

Old Hippie

Hey @Multum in parvo : do you think I should go ahead and buy myself a nice watch for a late Valentine's day gift, and sign my wife's name on the card?

I'm not Multum in Parvo nor do I play him on TV, but that's such a good idea. A gentleman would not wish to be uncouthly late for his execution, and a decent timepiece will ensure your prompt attendance.

O.H.

FarmerTan

I'm not Multum in Parvo nor do I play him on TV, but that's such a good idea. A gentleman would not wish to be uncouthly late for his execution, and a decent timepiece will ensure your prompt attendance.

O.H.
Would you believe I must be a gentleman?

I didn't have to look up "uncouthly" in a dictionary. True story doggone!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I also didn't get her a gift for Valentine's day, so, if @Intrigued agrees, I will buy my lovely bride that romantical looking noodle maker..... if'n I wait awhile longer, I could also call it an early anniversary gift!

Man, I am ALWAYS thinking up new ways to show my love for that lucky girl!

My husband almost always starts his day later than I do. Most mornings I get up, start the coffee, feed the dogs and cats, give the parrot some treats. Then I spent some time on my laptop while I drink my first cup of coffee for the day. After that I go to our basement workout room to do my exercises for the day. My husband usually gets up to start his day while I'm doing my workout. Valentine's Day was no different. I put my Valentine's gift (a card & some candy) for my husband next to the chair he sits in when he drinks his morning coffee.

When I came upstairs from my workout, my husband had the look of a man in mortal danger. He proceed to stammer out that he had not gotten me anything for Valentine's day. I quickly reassured him that he had indeed gotten me a present. He had proxy ordered me a custom made pair of Town View deerskin lined double soled moccasins. :a2:

Thanks for dragging me into that Town View thread @FarmerTan. You may have just saved a man's life. :biggrin:

True story.....

Last edited:

FarmerTan

My husband almost always starts his day later than I do. Most mornings I get up, start the coffee, feed the dogs and cats, give the parrot some treats. Then I spent some time on my laptop while I drink my first cup of coffee for the day. After that I go to our basement workout room to do my exercises for the day. My husband usually gets up to start his day while I'm doing my workout. Valentine's Day was no different. I put my Valentine's gift (a card & some candy) for my husband next to the chair he sits in when he drinks his morning coffee.

When I came upstairs from my workout, my husband had the look of a man in mortal danger. He proceed to stammer out that he had not gotten me anything for Valentine's day. I quickly reassured him that he had indeed gotten me a present. He had proxy ordered me a custom made pair of Town View deerskin lined double soled moccasins. :a2:

Thanks for dragging me into that Town View thread @FarmerTan. You may have just saved a man's life. :biggrin:

True story.....
Oh my.... This right HERE people is true love. I've said many times that there is NO ONE on earth more blessed than me.

BUT! it looks like my wife and I have a doppelganger couple here on Badger and Blade!

I have no idea what I bought my wife, but I have no doubt it'll be like her birthday every year, dinner, and me singing "Happy Birthday, Darlin' " in my best Conway Twitty impersonatin' voice!

You are one LUCKY girl !!!

Top Bottom