What's new

Chieftain Jr. Upgrade Suggestions

Used the VB Chieftain Jr again this morning on 3 days growth. I'm really liking the VB Chieftain with a Voskhod blade and a single pass to help deter irritation. Today I used a new Astra SP and all I can say is WOW! Definitely as good as or better than the Voskhod for me. I went with two passes, both WTG and felt like I had a great shave! Still learning, but the #1 thing I've learned so far is to take your time and focus on shaving with zero pressure. Things are getting fun!

Used the VB Chieftain Jr again this morning on 3 days growth. I'm really liking the VB Chieftain with a Voskhod blade and a single pass to help deter irritation. Today I used a new Astra SP and all I can say is WOW! Definitely as good as or better than the Voskhod for me. I went with two passes, both WTG and felt like I had a great shave! Still learning, but the #1 thing I've learned so far is to take your time and focus on shaving with zero pressure. Things are getting fun!
Fantastic, congratulations on your progress, now stick with the Astra SP blade. Don’t push the blade past two or three shaves. Shoot for a dozen “great shaves” in a row with that Astra SP blade.

Thanks Walleyeb. Was pleasantly surprised by the SP as I hear a variety of things from people and had a feeling the SS was better than the SP. I used the SS once and it was not my cup of tea. The SP was great for the first shave.

Fantastic, congratulations on your progress, now stick with the Astra SP blade. Don’t push the blade past two or three shaves. Shoot for a dozen “great shaves” in a row with that Astra SP blade

Fantastic, congratulations on your progress, now stick with the Astra SP blade. Don’t push the blade past two or three shaves. Shoot for a dozen “great shaves” in a row with that Astra SP blade.
Just saw in your profile that you're not too far from me. Springfield area here... it's a small world.

Just saw in your profile that you're not too far from me. Springfield area here... it's a small world.
Indeed, I worked out of Springfield for a long time. I was just reviewing some of my notes, I started wet shaving in early October 2021, the Viking Chieftain was my first razor. The first time I used it I cut my face up pretty good.

I dumped the blades it came with and bought 100 Derby Premium Platinums.

So I’ve tried 4 razors now. A Gillette Tech, Winning Razor, Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr. and a Rockwell 6C on plates R4 and R5. Here’s my ranking of best to worst for me:

Rockwell 6C
VB Chieftain Jr.
Gillette Tech
Winning Razor

Never would have thought I’d enjoy more aggressive razors vs mild ones, but apparently that’s the case. Love the Rockwell and may never buy another Razor (doubt that’s true though)!

It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted an update on my journey. I've now used 5 razors in my journey by recently adding a Gillette Fatboy E4 to the arsenal. I've used it on setting 4 and setting 5. I like both settings... 5 is a closer shave as expected, but I did have a couple of weepers which were likely user error via too much pressure. 4 left me with no irritation, but the shave was much less close. I have a Slim as well, but it needs a tune up to fix an uneven blade gap. Right now the Fatboy is going to get a spot in the rotation!

Top Bottom