What's new

Using water before and during shave

I shower before a shave. That’s my pre-shave hydration/wash/prep. I face lather, and generally use a wetter than most’s lather in that regard (it’s a better lather for straights, most find).

I may splash my face between passes if my lather/brush isn’t wet enough before the next pass. I’ve been doing it long enough that I rarely need to adjust my next lather, but it happens. I just learned how much water to retain in the brush and how much soap to load to face lather with.

I’ll ensure I throughly rinse the soap off when I’m done, but I don’t need to splash/dunk myself constantly.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I shower before a shave. That’s my pre-shave hydration/wash/prep. I face lather, and generally use a wetter than most’s lather in that regard (it’s a better lather for straights, most find).

I may splash my face between passes if my lather/brush isn’t wet enough before the next pass. I’ve been doing it long enough that I rarely need to adjust my next lather, but it happens. I just learned how much water to retain in the brush and how much soap to load to face lather with.

I’ll ensure I throughly rinse the soap off when I’m done, but I don’t need to splash/dunk myself constantly.
The only thing I would add to your advice here is bring bottled water in the shower with you to drink.

FarmerTan

I oftentimes shave in the shower. BUT: I only gargle the water in there.

I'm OBVIOUSLY more civilized than most shower shavers on B&B!

I mostly always take a hot shower before shaving, but I always splash on very warm water prior to initial lathering and between passes. This is the way I was taught decades ago and it's worked for me. And I found that if I don't warm and hydrate enough before shaving it's noticeably uncomfortable so I wouldn't even try the dry route. If you're old enough to remember going to the barber shop in years past, or watching an old movie and seeing men in the barber shop getting a shave, the barber always wrapped a steaming hot towel over the mans face prior to shaving. There's a reason for that.....hot moisture does soften the beard. All that said, dry obviously works for some, just nothing I'm going to try.

Shaving without water is pure madness.

Will Forte Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

I'll splash some hot water on before I shave and rinse with cold water when I've finished. I don't feel any need to rinse between passes or shower before shaving. Sounds a bit like ritual, theatre and superstition to me. I can get a perfectly comfortable shave without all that mucking about. Same with pre-shave creams and oils. At least all that unnecessary rinsing is cheap.

I wet my face before applying lather. Before each pass, I wet my face again - not to remove any soap or lather but to keep my face wet. I have found that keeping my face hydrated results in better, slicker shaves. After the final pass. I take a wet washcloth and remove any remaining lather.

FarmerTan

I wet my face before applying lather. Before each pass, I wet my face again - not to remove any soap or lather but to keep my face wet. I have found that keeping my face hydrated results in better, slicker shaves. After the final pass. I take a wet washcloth and remove any remaining lather.
Much too simple my friend. Sorry. We need more drama and ritual for the folks across the Pond, obviously....

Well at least you don't avoid water until you have finished shaving, so it's not all bad.
Personally, I like (and need) to shave fast. Sometimes, I apply cream to my face directly (without a brush) and I typically don't rinse the razor between strokes. Still I can tell whether I used enough water by how wet my clothes are when I'm done.

the gentleman in question seemed to use no water to prep his face before applying lather. He didn’t even rinse with water between passes. Does anyone here practice this technique?

The Brotherhood of Dry Shavers (BODS). A faction of the Fraternity of Eternal Weepers (FWEEPS), who are affiliated with the Brave Order of Orange Faces (BOOFS). Ultimately, all traceable back to the Peoples Front of Judea...

FarmerTan

I recall - but can't find - a video of one YouTube shaver using a spray bottle to wet his face in between each pass and to wet the lather. I also seem to recall someone on B&B did something similar.
You are correct. But we all know that I am MUCH too lazy for all that muckin' about!

Which reminds me: I need to go shave before church tonight! My wife may want to smell my face!

Top Bottom