What's new

Advice appreciated for SR new to DE

If you feel you can't get a close enough shave there's a good chance you'll end up using too much pressure to try to get closer. That might explain the weepers.

Even the mildest razors should be able to deliver BBS with a full, three-pass shave.
Maybe that’s it. I did think Astras were pretty high up on sharpness but the shave with the feather was night and day.
@DG109 for travel (carry-on only) I take generic Chinese stainless steel shavette. Probably the cheapest razor you can get that takes a (half) DE blade. With your SR skills, it shouldn't take you much to master this razor and get the same (or better) results than you get with your SR(s).

This week I am shaving with a generic Chinese stainless steel shavette and Feather DE half-blade to see how many acceptable shave I can get. Shave No. 4 this morning and still going strong, although it's getting close to it's end.

Yes, as it was very cheap and something I’ve always wanted to try I took you up on your previous recco and have a cheap straight that takes DE blades. Will get round to experimenting with it once I’ve master the DE razor.
Sounds like you are very wise to take a measured approach; but 15 years of SR shaving already proved it. Your wisdom is further demonstrated in your acquisition of a Tech :) Glad it is working for you. And they say "ignorance is bliss." Turns out bliss is found in a Tech.
It’s a great razor. Exquisitely functional and perfect for my intended use of travel. Better grip than the R89 (which wasn’t a problem til now as my only DE!).

I do hope the feather works as well for me in my Merkur but genuine a feel like a golfer who’s had a hole in one after the feather experience this am. Even my wife said ‘ooh you look like you’ve had a good shave today’. Nearly 12 hours later and it still feels BBS after just two passes and mostly WTG.

Shaves like this make me go to sleep smiling. Sometimes I just wish each shave time could come quicker 🤣

Reactions: ewk
Ok so 5 weeks or so in and wanted some further advice please.

I’ve got a couple of techs which I can get a great shave with.

Also got a Progress which I get excellent shave off from settings
3-5.

I just can’t get a close or comfortable shave from the r89.

I’ve yet to use shims. A part of me kind of thinks if I have to tinker with the razor it isn’t for me.

Has anyone experience of a shimmed (?! - is it a verb 🤔) 89?

Ok so 5 weeks or so in and wanted some further advice please.

I’ve got a couple of techs which I can get a great shave with.

Also got a Progress which I get excellent shave off from settings
3-5.

I just can’t get a close or comfortable shave from the r89.

I’ve yet to use shims. A part of me kind of thinks if I have to tinker with the razor it isn’t for me.

Has anyone experience of a shimmed (?! - is it a verb 🤔) 89?
Shimming is a good solution. I use a shim or two in the Tech. A shim really wakes up razors that do not work for me efficiently, and makes them usable. I don't see it as a tinker, I see it as being wise and frugal. Or I get rid of the razor.

Top Bottom