What's new

First Real Straight Shave

Today, I hit a major milestone in my shaving journey. I completed my first real straight razor shave! It's hard for me to believe that just over a year ago I was struggling with my Mach3 and canned goo which pushed me to research other shaving methods to correct neck irritation. After reading a few online articles, I jumped head first into safety razors, which, were able to help me improve neck irritation about half of the time. When New Year's rolled around, I started reflecting on what I would like to achieve in 2022 and I realized that I still wasn't 100% happy with shaving. After poking around on B&B, I felt it was time to try my hand at straight razor shaving. I picked up a cheap Parker SRX to see if it was something I would even be able to do or if it would just make my neck irritation worse and, surprisingly, it was great! I started a thread about upgrading to a better shavette but was quickly convinced to make the investment into proper straight razor shaving. This morning was the culmination of that challenge and I am happy to report that, although it was not the closest shave, I was able to finish without bloodshed.

IMG_20220203_065047619-01.jpeg

I'd like to thank the following people for helping me out over the last few weeks:

@Eastcoast30 - Thank you for helping me to upgrade my shavette. I have been enjoying it and there will be a place for it when traveling or on days I am a little short on time.

@rbscebu - Thank you for your many threads and posts on this forum. Your testimony helped me to have the confidence to embark on this journey. Also, the referrals you provided pointed me in the right direction for the assistance I needed.

@Doc226 - Thank you for taking great care in honing the razors I sent to you. I appreciated your fast service and reasonable prices.

@Tony Miller - Thank you for answering all of my strop questions. The strop you made for me is excellent and I look forward to using it while I learn the proper technique.

The above people, and so many more on B&B, are what makes this place great! Take advantage of the help that is available here, you will not regret it.

Nice!!

Also still had some issues with neck irritation with a safety razor but the straight got rid of that almost entirely. Hopefully you experience the same.

Happy shaving!

Today, I hit a major milestone in my shaving journey. I completed my first real straight razor shave! It's hard for me to believe that just over a year ago I was struggling with my Mach3 and canned goo which pushed me to research other shaving methods to correct neck irritation. After reading a few online articles, I jumped head first into safety razors, which, were able to help me improve neck irritation about half of the time. When New Year's rolled around, I started reflecting on what I would like to achieve in 2022 and I realized that I still wasn't 100% happy with shaving. After poking around on B&B, I felt it was time to try my hand at straight razor shaving. I picked up a cheap Parker SRX to see if it was something I would even be able to do or if it would just make my neck irritation worse and, surprisingly, it was great! I started a thread about upgrading to a better shavette but was quickly convinced to make the investment into proper straight razor shaving. This morning was the culmination of that challenge and I am happy to report that, although it was not the closest shave, I was able to finish without bloodshed.

View attachment 1403945
I'd like to thank the following people for helping me out over the last few weeks:

@Eastcoast30 - Thank you for helping me to upgrade my shavette. I have been enjoying it and there will be a place for it when traveling or on days I am a little short on time.

@rbscebu - Thank you for your many threads and posts on this forum. Your testimony helped me to have the confidence to embark on this journey. Also, the referrals you provided pointed me in the right direction for the assistance I needed.

@Doc226 - Thank you for taking great care in honing the razors I sent to you. I appreciated your fast service and reasonable prices.

@Tony Miller - Thank you for answering all of my strop questions. The strop you made for me is excellent and I look forward to using it while I learn the proper technique.

The above people, and so many more on B&B, are what makes this place great! Take advantage of the help that is available here, you will not regret it.
You’re well on your way now. No looking back now. I’m happy you give kudos to those well deserving. There are a lot of nice , friendly and helpful people on this forum.

First shave done! That's a pretty major achievement - I can still remember my first shave with a straight. Standing there in front of the mirror with my face lathered up and razor in hand wondering what to do next. Now almost about to hit my double century and really enjoying it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

cheers
Andrew

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Pressroll if, after about a week or two of daily SR shaving, you feel that straight razor shaving is for you, put together a set of diamond pasted balsa strops; 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μ. Blade maintenance on pasted balsa will bring your SR shaving experience up a level. Your SR should then never need to touch a whetstone again.

Congratulations.

Expect the straight shaving path to be a bit more arduous than the DE shaving path and it will take patience, perseverance and resilience.
Compared to safety razors, it will be a longer process to come to grips with straight shaving and of course there are also the added challenges of stropping and honing.
I mention this as there may be moments when you wonder whether this is all worth it.

I believe it is, and eventually you may come to realize that with a straight razor you can achieve a kind of close and comfortable shave that only a few safety razors can come close to.

B.

Good start, it gets a lot better with practise.

When I hear neck irritation, I am reminded of my struggle and the very simple solution that worked for me. I have not had neck irritation for a very long time. I use mostly straights, but occasionally DE and shavettes, the principle remains the same.

Top Bottom