What's new

Boar Brush Recommendation

I've enjoyed the Semogue 1438 for face-lathering. A shorter loft, if that's what you're after, but not really for bowl-lathering. For the best of both, on the budget I think you are after, the Semogue 1800 would work well as mentioned. Both of these have a finer blend of bristles than their Semogue siblings in similar sizes. The Semogue 1800 also has a bit more bloom than an equivalent Omega. I think the Semogue bristles are a little bit stouter at the base as well.

That said, if you've liked your Omega brush, why not pick up another one? That model is still available...

I think 620. It was a gift. Clear and red acrylic. Great in the hand feel.
625FCE54-62EF-42F8-BB8F-4D5DC46FF586.jpeg

I've not seen it mentioned yet, but the Semogue Torga is an excellent short lofted knot and comes it cheaper than the Semogue SOC.

@Chan Eil Whiskers recommendations for Zeniths are also great options. I have the Zenith 80B in both bleached and unbleached knots and they are excellent brushes with very densely packed knots.

I bought an Omega and a Semogue for a grand total of $29.99. When I bought the recommended Omega and Semogue 11 years ago, it cost more than that, so I’m getting off cheaper this time around. When they arrive, I’ll post a picture. We’ll see if I do like last time and give one to my brother.

I've not seen it mentioned yet, but the Semogue Torga is an excellent short lofted knot and comes it cheaper than the Semogue SOC.

@Chan Eil Whiskers recommendations for Zeniths are also great options. I have the Zenith 80B in both bleached and unbleached knots and they are excellent brushes with very densely packed knots.

+1 on the Torga, I have two Torga C5 brushes, one Mistura and one Boar, and they both work very well.
A good suggestion for anyone who likes a shorter loft than the Semogue SOCs.

B.

I bought the Omega 11137 wood handle brush and Semogue Hereditas 610 red/clear acrylic handle brushes from Pasteur (who threw in a sample MdC vetiver soap). Neither came with a stand. My 11 year old Omega brush on the right did.

I washed both with shampoo, and the Omega lost 10 hairs. I hope it doesn’t keep that up.

097EE9C1-218B-4027-A276-866BAC79CEB1.jpeg

I've been thrilled with my Razorock Blondie boar brush that is a relabeled Zenith 80N. Bleached and already partially broken in. Typically on sale for $9 on Italian Barber. Works well for me on hard triple milled soap (Williams in my case). I've been using it roughly twice a week for about three months. So far has only occasionally lost a hair or two for perhaps a total of 6 -7 overall. Appears to be similar to Omega 10049s though those require more break-in time. Note there is a $7 shipping charge for U.S. orders under $60.

The same knot appears to be available with a variety of different handles though the knots appear to be the same. For $25-30 they have options such as olive or cherry wood if you prefer a more upscale option. Note there may be a shipping charge

Last edited:
Late to the party. Because your 10049 is 25 x 63, I was going to suggest you consider a 22 x 55 Semogue. There are three different knots in this size: premium (1305/830), best (1250/820) and extra (1800).

This doesn't make sense, but I find the extra to be the softest followed by the premium followed by the best.

The 1800 feels the most Omega like to me. Lately, I seem to be developing a preference for my two premiums: 1305 and 2000. The 2000 is 25 x 60.

I should add that the color scheme of the 1305 is not my favorite, but the knot is quite fabulous.

Reactions: bjm
I bought the Omega 11137 wood handle brush and Semogue Hereditas 610 red/clear acrylic handle brushes from Pasteur (who threw in a sample MdC vetiver soap). Neither came with a stand. My 11 year old Omega brush on the right did.

I washed both with shampoo, and the Omega lost 10 hairs. I hope it doesn’t keep that up.

View attachment 1403408
I have both the Omega 11137 & Semogue 610. The Omega has turned out to be an excellent brush and doesn't shed (I think maybe most new brushes lose a few bristles at first). The 610 is a wonderful smaller brush that works great for face lathering. The 610 will take quite a while to break in though, so please don't lose patience with it before you see what it can do. For a Semogue, it has a lot of backbone.

I have been using an Omega 10065 for the last 3 years or so and I really cannot fault it at anything.

Now I see the Omega 10018 selling for 4.50 euros at my local supermarket (slightly smaller than the 10065, which sells for 5.50 euros) and I will buy that too.

I exclusively face-lather, so I like compact sizes.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've got three boars. Two of them are inexpensive: a Wilkinson Sword from a grocery store and an Omega 10005 from a drugstore. Neither one was over CAD$10. I've been using the Omega almost exclusively for a while. I also have a cherrywood Semogue Owner's Club boar, which is a very nice brush but I probably won't use it much until I wear out the Omega in 30 years or so.

My recommendation is the one I spend the most time with at the moment, the Omega 10005.

O.H.

I would avoid the semogue 830 next buy round. mine got very soft and floppy when finally broke in for good, at about a year or so. and the knot got loose in the handle and made a clanking sound. that wasn't an uncommon complaint here either at the time. I passed it off to a new shaver to try out. the 810 has less complaints here as I recall.

I'm perfectly content with the Omega 10065 as my currently most used brush, and the 40033 is almost as good and a fantastic (primary) traveler that can be used around the house too.

I've also got a SOC that I still love, but I favor Omegas over the various other Semogues I've used in the past. haven't tried and not interested in Zeniths at this point. I prefer brushes at about 24mm.

and I exclusively face lather.

Reactions: bjm
I would avoid the semogue 830 next buy round. mine got very soft and floppy when finally broke in for good, at about a year or so. and the knot got loose in the handle and made a clanking sound. that wasn't an uncommon complaint here either at the time. I passed it off to a new shaver to try out. the 810 has less complaints here as I recall.

I'm perfectly content with the Omega 10065 as my currently most used brush, and the 40033 is almost as good and a fantastic (primary) traveler that can be used around the house too.

I've also got a SOC that I still love, but I favor Omegas over the various other Semogues I've used in the past. haven't tried and not interested in Zeniths at this point. I prefer brushes at about 24mm.

and I exclusively face lather.
At this point the Omega 11137 isn’t broken in yet, but it’s already floppy, like my 31064 got to be after ten years of use. Between that and the Semogue 610, so far I prefer the 610.

Top Bottom