What's new

One shave from GEM PTFE blade?

Hello, I’ve read through quite a few threads where the longevity of the PTFE blades are discussed. Alot of posts mentioning double digit uses and very few that mention low single digits.

I can only get one comfortable shave from a blade though. No corking or stroping, just straight into a MMOC or Clogpruf. Excellent, smooth shave, but on shave number two, I get some serious tugging and can manage a 3 pass shave, but it needs binned at this point. The blades i ordered are pictured below for reference.

I like the GEM razors, but not sure if I only get one shave per blade. I would think if i got a bad batch, i wouldnt get the great initial shave? For reference, i get around 6 shaves for current DE blades and around 10-12 from NOS DE. Around 15-20 from SE Injectors (NOS Personna).

Should I try another lot/vendor to see if there was an problem with the ones i have?

0ACD8A1C-C5DA-47A8-89E3-20FEB381DE79.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't have the best of luck with SE blades, but I always assumed it was user error... L, I blame my low self-esteem!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been using Gem blades for well over 400 + shaves and I average 10 shaves or more. Not sure what is going on with your blades. Seeing you have 100pcs try picking one from the middle of the lot and try that one. Where did you buy your blades from?
I daily shave and used one this morning on 3rd shave & gave me a BBs result and it cut sand paper stubble with no problem.
If you bought them brand new from a reliable supplier and used a Micromatic razor it is telling me the blade batch could be a issue.
I use my Gem PTFE blades in Oneblade core razors, Valet Auto-strop C1 razor and all my ASR razors and just enjoy them a lot. You did not mention Pre shave routine, try short strokes and I would stay with you Clog pruf Micromatic until you sort it out.
I buy my blades from Connaught shaving UK and they are reliable and ship to Canada in about 2-3 weeks.

I picked them up from ebay vendor who ive bought stuff from before, so no reason to doubt him. Ill try one of the others and see what happens.

Pre-shave routine is same as always. Hot water face wash with either cerave or stirling pre-shave. Build lather, let it sit on face for 2-3 minutes and have at it. Cold water rinse b/w passes. I did try shorter strokes, but result was similar regarding tugging. Ill go through what blades i have and re-assess the GEMs.

I picked them up from ebay vendor who ive bought stuff from before, so no reason to doubt him. Ill try one of the others and see what happens.

Pre-shave routine is same as always. Hot water face wash with either cerave or stirling pre-shave. Build lather, let it sit on face for 2-3 minutes and have at it. Cold water rinse b/w passes. I did try shorter strokes, but result was similar regarding tugging. Ill go through what blades i have and re-assess the GEMs.

I consistently get double digit shaves from the same brand of blade as in your pic. The few shaves are harsh for some reason. Try a new blade or try another Gem razor like the Gem Junior or an Ever Ready Shovel head and see if that works out.

From one particular Gem PTFE blade in an Ever Ready Shovel head I managed to get close to 35 shaves using Excalibur techniques. All shaves were good DFS at par (I dont strive for BBS).

For the MMOC flat on the face is the only technique, there can be no variation. If you deviate you will end up with a horrible face and irritation.

The other Gem and Ever Ready razors do allow for some lifting of the "razor had" to a slightly shallow angle.

What @Ron R said, Connaught Shaving UK always has a great price for these blades.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I find it interesting that you find the first shave going really well -- no mention of harshness....a feeling of being too sharp -- and many of us who get double-digits out of the GEM, often feel that the first shave is the worst shave of the many we get. Perhaps your facial/shaving preference is a truly keen edge, and that often disappears (at least for me) after the first shave and definitely after the second. Or maybe you got a bad batch. :confused1

Thanks for info. Maybe Ill look at the other models. Im not sure I understand what people mean when they say first few shaves are harsh. It’s tugging at first then smooths out? Im having the opposite happen. The first shave is smooth as can be, then goes downhill in midddle of second shave.

If this is a technique issue, wouldn't the first shave be awful? Whether im using MMOC or CP, the first shave is close, smooth, and zero irritation.

Ron R

Thanks for info. Maybe Ill look at the other models. Im not sure I understand what people mean when they say first few shaves are harsh. It’s tugging at first then smooths out? Im having the opposite happen. The first shave is smooth as can be, then goes downhill in midddle of second shave.

If this is a technique issue, wouldn't the first shave be awful? Whether im using MMOC or CP, the first shave is close, smooth, and zero irritation.
The reason a Gem Personna shave can be a little harsh is because of the sharpness of the blade, it is up there with the Feather blade for sharpness and a few others. The blade takes a little time to figure out IMO but smooths out nicely, you can cork the blade a few times when new but you might lose a few shaves because it blunts the blade in a microscopic few and take off some of the Teflon coating . Best to use the face as a strop.
I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first couple of shaves and then progress through the mid range Gem razors when using a new blade.
I will leave some information because a lot of brochures that came with Gem razors are long gone!
(click to enlarge Pictures)
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

@Jayboz , my packaging (100 bought from Connaught) looks identical. I routinely get double digit shaves from mine. I cork (very lightly) before first use and dry the blade after shaving by forearm stropping.

If you are in the US, I would be happy to mail a couple blades from my pack for you to test. PM me.

I always palm strop my GEM SE blades before using them to gently wear off any microscopic burrs. Maybe it's in my head, but the blades seem smoother after stropping. I probably average 10 shaves per blade on a coarse beard, so I'm satisfied with GEM blades.

I always palm strop my GEM SE blades before using them to gently wear off any microscopic burrs. Maybe it's in my head, but the blades seem smoother after stropping. I probably average 10 shaves per blade on a coarse beard, so I'm satisfied with GEM blades.
This.

A quick palm strop before the first shave makes the first shave smooth. Still get 8-11 shaves out of the blade total.

Got a fresh non corked/stropped blade in the MMOC for tonight. I don’t get any harshness right out of package, plus if I cork/strop, I might not make it through shave number one.

Wonder if Id fare any better with the non-PFTE stainless GEM blades.

Try a steeper angle. Ultra Shallow gem shaving doesn’t work for me at all. Not sure why that’s the de facto technique prescribed to all new gem users.

The reason a Gem Personna shave can be a little harsh is because of the sharpness of the blade, it is up there with the Feather blade for sharpness and a few others. The blade takes a little time to figure out IMO but smooths out nicely, you can cork the blade a few times when new but you might lose a few shaves because it blunts the blade in a microscopic few and take off some of the Teflon coating . Best to use the face as a strop.
I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first couple of shaves and then progress through the mid range Gem razors when using a new blade.
I will leave some information because a lot of brochures that came with Gem razors are long gone!
(click to enlarge Pictures)
View attachment 1403026 View attachment 1403028 View attachment 1403030 View attachment 1403029

View attachment 1403031
Have some great shaves!

I appreciate your putting this up periodically.
where does the Gem Junior fall on this table in your opinion?

In my opinion, it is a mild razor but efficient. I've used 6 of the razors on the chart and I can agree with the chart. The 1912, Feather Weight and G Bar are mild, the MMOC, MMCP and MMBT are more aggressive.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using my MMOC and PTFE's almost exclusively for two years or so now. My first shave with a fresh PTFE is very shallow, as suggested above but, as the wear on the blade increases, so does my angle. See my post below.

Jumping into the SE lake..... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/jumping-into-the-se-lake.575343/post-10410924

I believe those flats on the cap are there for a reason so I use them as my guides while a blade wears. It's possible you got a bad lot of blades but I havent. Make sure the blade is seated into the blade tabs properly and the cap is tight. I'm also curious if your MMOC has bumps or is bumpless. Mine has bumps. The round...bumps, on the base. My Bullet Tip below. I dont have a picture of my MMOC open.

IMG_1746.jpg

I have no idea how many shaves I have on the blade thats in my MMOC right now, well over 20 which is a first for me, but I'm using it very steep with as much blade feel as I can get with quite a lot of pressure. The only place I feel it tug is my upper lip, close to my nose is the most tuggy area.

On a quick and simple three pass shave, first pass N>S, second pass S>N and third pass directly ATG, it still gives me an easy BBS finish and I have no tugging anywhere except my upper lip where my growth is very coarse.

Ron R

Gem Junior 1912 falls similar to the Gem 1912 IMO, but then there is the Gem Junior bar lather catcher that is a tame mid range razor IMO. Ted you will have no problem with the Gem Junior 1912 at all IMO because you use Gem razors all the time.
After testing a lot of different razors from ASR I could not display all the razors on the chart and really it is just a basic guide or ball park placement. Some folks have mentioned it is accurate and that is what I thought testing them years ago when first using the Gem brand of razors.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom