What's new

Please Help!! - Semogue Mistura or Boar???

Late to the discussion, but I'd go Mistura if your budget allows. I have a couple of Semogue boars and love them, but they definitely don't have the softness or hold lather as compared with my Semogue badger. Really, a mix of the two would be perfect.
No worries, I appreciate the input :) The mistura is on the way so I'll keep you updated with how I get on.

So I received my Semogue brushes today! And I also received a Gillette Super Adjustable SH R2 which I had ordered before Christmas, so exciting times! I left the little Torga piggy to soak for a few hours whilst I did house chores then had a shower & commenced the shave. Now all the gear I used today (except for the Thayer's) was new to me, I pick up the shave cream & aftershave gel during the week. So I set my expectations low, seeing as it was my first time with all this gear but surprisingly I had one of the best shaves ever!

My thoughts on the Semogue Torga C3 Boar.
As you know this is my first boar knot, in my mind I thought the brush would feel like a stiff broom and very scratchy on my face. In reality it was very soft & comfortable, which was a welcome surprise. It felt similar to a gel tip badger I have, yet with much more backbone. I bowl lathered the shave cream and easily produced a nice thick creamy lather. Now something I found interesting, sometimes with badgers I find some knots can hog water and it can be difficult to get the water constancy right, well for me thats the case. But with the C3 it felt easier to estimate how damp I need the brush to be in order to create a good lather. The brush had a good weight to it and I found the handle very ergonomic, it's really easy to put weight into it to create a great lather in no time. I can see why a lot of you choose this brush to face lather as its a great size for that (I had a little go). My only criticism (which is my fault) is I wish I'd of picked the C5 with the larger 24mm boar knot. The handle is great but the 22mm knot just feels a bit undersized. I've attached some photos so you can see the knot after its first use. Will the head of the knot splay out more over time or will it stay this size? I'm hoping it will splay out as the hairs split over several months. I will use the Semogue SOC mistura for my mid week shave to see how that performs, I do love the cherrywood handle. The Torga didn't hog the lather, giving it back to me very easily but once again I feel it would be more efficient with the 24mm knot, I found myself having to go back to the bowl a few times to pickup more lather. Luckily the boar smell has already gone, in my opinion the new boar smell is much less offence than some new badger knots can be haha.

So there we are, it was a great success, thank you all for your help & advice it was extremely helpful. I can't believe I've missed out on boar for so long haha. I will buy the 24mm C5 boar as its only £16 delivered, cause I really would like that bigger knot. Don't fear I won't stop using the C3 as I am curious to see how the knot develops of the months :)

IMG-2225.jpg

IMG-2210.jpg

IMG-2221.jpg

IMG-2218.jpg

I’m a sucker for the two band Semogues in the acrylic handles. Ez to accelerate the break in with the soak in the fridge trick, and rival some pretty nice badgers I have. Is the mistura a synthetic knot?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thats great that you are enjoying the mistura, I'm using mine these days and it really is a great knot, even right out of the box.

I would also remind you to not forget about the soc boar! Ymmv, but personally, although they are both great, I like the boar just a little more. Super soft tips, a very full feel on the face. It blooms out over time and is wonderful.

View attachment 1408737

Above is my newly washed and fixing to be used for the first time new mistura.

Below it is pictured with its cousin. Both brand new.

View attachment 1408739

These are the Semogue Spanish Shavers 2021 LE brushes. From Vintage Scent.

There are plenty of good brushes out there.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you for the reply & photos! Those Spanish Shavers 2021 LE's are amazing!!! Beautiful handle, what a great combo with those knots too, thanks for sharing & happy shaving to you too my friend! :)

Thats great that you are enjoying the mistura, I'm using mine these days and it really is a great knot, even right out of the box.

I would also remind you to not forget about the soc boar! Ymmv, but personally, although they are both great, I like the boar just a little more. Super soft tips, a very full feel on the face. It blooms out over time and is wonderful.
I got the Soc and it's a beautiful Brush indeed. Lately I'm enjoying a little more of badger brushes, but I admit that I'm really, REALLY tempted on this Soc mistura...

I think you will be very pleased with the mistura. It is a great brush out of the box and it only gets better. Boar takes a bit of getting used to and requires breaking in. Do try a boar later on - they aren‘t expensive - but I think you made the right decision to get the mistura first.
I just purchased a soc Mistura and I've used it a few times. It takes an immense amount of pressure to splay it on my face, and therefore give a scrubbing sensation.

Will it get easier to splay? And if so, how long might it take?/is there anyway to speed the process up?

Thanks

Just a word of caution, compared to my Omegas the Semogues take a long time breaking in.
I just purchased a soc Mistura and I've used it a few times. It takes an immense amount of pressure to splay it on my face, and therefore give a scrubbing sensation.

Will it get easier to splay? And if so, how long might it take?

Thanks

Will it get easier to splay? And if so, how long might it take?/is there anyway to speed the process up?

Thanks
The boar bristles need to break in, which will take around a dozed lathers. Also, the badger will break in with a half dozen lathers. Enjoy, it gets better with use!

Will it get easier to splay? And if so, how long might it take?

Thanks
It will change a couple of times but I would say most of the stuff happens between shave 20 to 40.

Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers has an excellent thread on the Mistura

Thanks
Hope you’re not offended by the basic question but do you soak the knot in water for a few minutes before you use it? The brush will be much easier to use when it has absorbed water, and boar hair needs this more than badger. Just shake or squeeze out the excess water before you start lathering.

Hope you’re not offended by the basic question but do you soak the knot in water for a few minutes before you use it? The brush will be much easier to use when it has absorbed water, and boar hair needs this more than badger. Just shake or squeeze out the excess water before you start lathering.
Not at all - yes I do soak it in warm water for 3-5 minutes.

It will change a couple of times but I would say most of the stuff happens between shave 20 to 40.

Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers has an excellent thread on the Mistura

Thankyou!

Top Bottom