What's new

Your Favorite High End Adjustable? & Why?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have the T, T2, Merkur, Parker, Mergress, Future, Flexi, and Ambassador. The Ambassador is my favorite. It shaves well for me and the quality of the build is the best of everything I own. Oh, yes, the grip is excellent.

Over the years I have owned and used the following adjustable razors: FB, Slim, Black Beauty, Toggle, Futur, Vision, Rockwell S, and Mergress XL. The only one that I still have in my rotation is the Mergress XL which I used today. I find the weight and balance to be good and it can be adjusted to fit any shaving needs or desires.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Over the years I have owned and used the following adjustable razors: FB, Slim, Black Beauty, Toggle, Futur, Vision, Rockwell S, and Mergress XL. The only one that I still have in my rotation is the Mergress XL which I used today. I find the weight and balance to be good and it can be adjusted to fit any shaving needs or desires.
I have a Mergress XL as well. I always regarded it very highly. However the Pearl Flexi V2 is way smoother given the same relative efficiency levels on the dials. So the Mergress may go on the block soon.

The Rex Ambassador is my daily driver and favorite. I have the typical assortment of vintage Gillettes and still use a Fatboy from time to time. I have a Progress as well(I like the yellow knob). I have said this many times by now, it is like Matt made the Rex just for me. Excellent machine work, great grip and balance. The shaves with the Rex are smooth, close and consistent, very enjoyable. I recently tried the Pearl Flexi. The Flexi is also a great razor in my hands and it will be my travel razor.

The Rex Ambassador is my daily driver and favorite. I have the typical assortment of vintage Gillettes and still use a Fatboy from time to time. I have a Progress as well(I like the yellow knob). I have said this many times by now, it is like Matt made the Rex just for me. Excellent machine work, great grip and balance. The shaves with the Rex are smooth, close and consistent, very enjoyable. I recently tried the Pearl Flexi. The Flexi is also a great razor in my hands and it will be my travel razor.
I Love my Rex Ambassador. It is truly a beautiful razor. I also have fallen in love with my 6S, which is also incredible, but not as aggressive, even on plate six.

7A9C8976-AB1E-40C4-9431-2EC7EEB8DFBF.jpeg

Rocnel Sailors are my favorite adjustables. You won’t be disappointed gentlemen, worth the price of admission. Little brother ‘21 meets Big brother ‘22.

I like my (genuine) Merkur Futur, I've yet to find a more aggressive DE razor. It's still a bit aggressive at the lower settings, though. I also have a QShave clone, which shaves much the same, but the blade alignment on that one is all over the place. The bakelite knob put me off of the Progress.
Bakelite knob really grew on me. It's a nice throwback on the modern ones, and pretty cool they've carried it what, 70+ years now?
I stumbled into the vintage Progress with a Redleaf (made by Simpson) butterscotch badger brush at a flea market for 10 bucks... probably my best find to date. I bst'd my way into the modern long handle Progress for a nice slim and tech.
I never really wanted for one, and not a fan of zamak, but they're both really quite nice... Most importantly they shave very comfortable for me dialed up or down.
Here a better pic of the old and new... and now I'm interested to know why the adjustment dial is at the top of the handle on the box. Idk I've ever even seen one like that?
16439546288462167975408240597218.jpg

I just stumbled upon the XL-handled version of the Rex Ambassador. The handle lenght is 4.25".

This might be an option for those who have complaints with the shorter handled (original) Ambassador.

Last edited:
Tatara muramasa is a jewel for me. I am not fond of adjustables but this one is really like shaving with a different razor at every setting. It's the only one that changes both gap and blade exposure so I can get what I want for my WTG, XTG and ATG passes.
Plus it is really gorgeous esthetically.

Tatara muramasa is a jewel for me. I am not fond of adjustables but this one is really like shaving with a different razor at every setting. It's the only one that changes both gap and blade exposure so I can get what I want for my WTG, XTG and ATG passes.
Plus it is really gorgeous esthetically.

Yes, I agree on the Tatara Muramasa, as for me it is the only adjustable safety razor that can produce results that can compare with a well maintained straight razor.

B.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It wouldn't be too much trouble.

I have few modern adjustables meaning more modern than my Gillette Executive adjustable and my other Gillette adjustables, and also more modern than my Schick injector adjustables.

The Rex Ambassador has never appealed to me because of pretty much universal reviews describing it in terms which turn me off to it. However, the industrial yet attractive look appeals to me, as does the grippy, fat handle. I'm also not saying what I've read about it tells me many other gentlemen with needs different from mine wouldn't love love love the Ambassador.

View attachment 1380216

I read that the Denali might be a milder version of the Ambassador, or something like that, so I bought one. Of course I can't compare it to the Ambassador having not used the Rex, but I like the Denali. Exactly how much I like it won't be known until I've used it a lot more, but early signs are good.

The Pearl Flexi is also a good and reasonably mild feeling modern adjustable. I like it. Besides that, it's an amazing razor - well designed, well made by CNC, all brass, nicely finished, attractive looking, and good shaving - particularly it's an amazing razor for the price.

View attachment 1380213

I'm not of the opinion that I will know enough to answer the question(s) posed in the OP until I've at least tried the Sailor and perhaps also the Rex Konsul (both of which are coming my way in due time).

Of the ones I have I think the Denali, but I could change my mind.

Do I have to try the Russian adjustable and the Iberian adjustable? Answering that question is beyond my ability, and perhaps beyond my inclinations with my credit cards (or not).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just to continue my ongoing adjustables tale...

Mostly I've been using the Muramasa since I began with it.

2-4-22.RV-DO1.CK-6.Muramasa.640JPG.JPG

It's not that I don't have other adjustables and plenty of other razors I like, but this is the one I've been reaching for.

Anyone interested in adjustables and/or great razors should explore this razor's sales page paying great attention to exactly how it adjusts and exactly what about it adjusts. The material is very clear, but it's easy to not quite get what you're seeing. This is not your usual adjustable, but, boy, howdy, if it meets your needs it's a good one!

The criticisms of the razor are out there.

The razor is heavy. For me, it's certainly not too heavy, and certainly not needlessly heavy. Its mass is in proportion to how substantially it is. Yet it is also not needlessly large in any respect. It is nimble in my experience with it. It reaches up into my nostril openings to get those pesky whiskers missed by some razors.

The handle is what some would call short, but I find its length exactly right for me. I'm okay, too, with the handle's diameter although I wouldn't mind another millimeter or so.

The adjustment numbers are tiny. However, this is far less of a problem than I'd expect it to be. I've become easily familiar with how to determine where I am with the settings. The trick is to know exactly where you start (so I set the initial adjustment with my glasses on). You'll quickly learn how the dots assist with adjustments. It's easier to do than it is to explain. Anyone will soon figure it out.

In the sales page material it might look like the adjustment range is large. It's not.

This marvel adjusts within a narrow range. Its gap doesn't open to the degree that many adjustables open, but all its settings are useful and make sense to me.

The razor is designed to be a rather subtle mild shaving tool. Its capacities aren't limitless. If you think that's bad, keep reading.

1644070192088.png

Gentlemen with super heavy beards might not like this razor. Gentlemen who shave once a week might not like this razor. It's designed, according to me as a pretty experienced user of the tool, for men with average beards, especially for those who tend to be daily shavers.

Make no mistake. Mine are tough, old man, wiry whiskers, very hard to smooth. The Muramasa does an excellent job of removing them. I have very difficult areas. I have an average beard, not a light beard. The Muramasa works great for me in taking it down.

The razor allows enough passes to get the job done without damaging my easily irritated, and oftentimes too dry skin.

The Muramasa adjusts between settings #1 and #5 meaning within that range the settings are infinite. I start my shaves with the setting just below #3 so I have a very slightly negative blade exposure.

For me, all the settings on the Muramasa are useful. Depending on my needs and wants I can shave with any of the five settings. On all of them the razor is smooth and comfortable.

It is gloriously smooth and comfortable on setting #1 and yet shaves remarkably well on that low setting. As the numbers go up the smoothness goes down and the efficiency goes up, but it's smooth on all settings and efficient on all settings. Just understand it's a mild razor, relatively speaking.

Don't misunderstand me here when I say this is a very versatile tool. It's probably not the tool for gentlemen seeking ultimately close shaves and wiling to use giant gaps and experience loads of blade feel to get there. It's plenty efficient for my daily shaves, but it's not the ultimate in efficiency.

If you are seeking a very smooth, very well made, very substantial razor which will give you a variety of shaving experiences within a narrow range all them emphasizing comfort, this might be the razor for you.

My very highest razor ranking category is Daily Driver. Few razors make that cut, but the Muramasa is for me a Daily Driver.

Coala Bear not in a hurry.jpg

I've not yet received my Sailor. I've not used my Taiga much. The Rex Konsul hasn't been released. I have other good adjustables, too. Maybe I'll find one of them more to my liking, but it's hard to reach for another razor when the Muramasa is right there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Merkur Future, Qshave Parthenon, Gillette Black Beauty, Gillette Slim and Gillette Fatboy. And a PAL adjustable but that is a SE and also my favorite SE but that's another subject.

Obviously none are pricey, but I do consider them to be top notch and out of those I'd rank them in that order.

I'm biased towards the aggresive side hence my ranking and preference for the Future.

Sailor
Taiga Ti

The Sailor might be my Number One Razor.

Never tried the Muramasa, but I'd like to. Maybe some day.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sailor
Taiga Ti

The Sailor might be my Number One Razor.

Never tried the Muramasa, but I'd like to. Maybe some day.

I can sure see why you'd love the Sailor. I think anyone would.

But...

The Muramasa is hard to beat for what it is. It's on the mild end of the spectrum. It is what it is, and that's it, but what it is, if it suits you, is terrific.

The Taiga is also hard to beat. Much larger range than the Muramasa. (That's not a criticism of the Muramasa.)

2-23-22.SemogueLE3Band.CK-6.Sailor.640.JPG

The Sailor is pretty much unbelievably good no matter how you look at it.

However, I'm not willing to call this race. These are three great razors for a daily shaver like me with fairly sensitive skin, and an average beard, but tough old man whiskers.

Several of my other adjustables are very very good, but I'd say these are better. They should be considering what they go for, and they are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I can sure see why you'd love the Sailor. I think anyone would.

But...

The Muramasa is hard to beat for what it is. It's on the mild end of the spectrum. It is what it is, and that's it, but what it is, if it suits you, is terrific.

The Taiga is also hard to beat. Much larger range than the Muramasa. (That's not a criticism of the Muramasa.)

View attachment 1414598

The Sailor is pretty much unbelievably good no matter how you look at it.

However, I'm not willing to call this race. These are three great razors for a daily shaver like me with fairly sensitive skin, and an average beard, but tough old man whiskers.

Several of my other adjustables are very very good, but I'd say these are better. They should be considering what they go for, and they are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Absolutely superb reviews and observations on the Muramasa Jim :thumbup1: I am undecided about that one but have finally ruled out the beautiful Rocnel as it is way too heavy for me. I will await the Konsul (which arrives with me in Denmark this weekend!!!).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Absolutely superb reviews and observations on the Muramasa Jim :thumbup1: I am undecided about that one but have finally ruled out the beautiful Rocnel as it is way too heavy for me. I will await the Konsul (which arrives with me in Denmark this weekend!!!).

Thank you. My pleasure.

The Sailor is very heavy. No doubt about it. However, it doesn't seem heavy in use. I suppose that means it's perfectly balanced or something like that, but really I don't know why it doesn't seem heavy during the shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
img_1_1645720488261.jpg

My skin was completely conquered by muramasa.
Adjust the aggression by moving the guard/exposure horizontally, and you can more intuitively grasp how many blades are needed on the face at the first use, greatly reducing the time to adapt.

And it has no springs and uses fewer threads than conventional lift base plate designs.
TATARA MURAMASA-05.jpg

Its visual design is more like a whole, rather than an assembly of parts.
It also makes it more of a "STAR TREK" prop than other razors, which is wonderful for fans who grew up watching the series.
TATARA MURAMASA-07.jpg

I have to hold my hand high for a while when I shave my head, and the overall weight of the muramasa fits my shoulders nicely.

Top Bottom