What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

First impressions - the shavette blade still feels like using a DE blade and didn't have a smooth feel. Obviously I need to try this again.
Both of us need more practice with this razor, I guess. Smoothness will likely kick in in course of time, once the necessary shaving technique has been established. Mine isn't though the debut shave has been a good one.

I watched some tutorials on the 'tube, everyone recommended not to start with a complete shave but to start with the wtg pass on the cheeks for a couple of weeks only and then add the neck area only later. I'll likely follow the advice and intend to do the clean up passes / passes on the neck with a regular DE.

Have a great day!

Both of us need more practice with this razor, I guess. Smoothness will likely kick in in course of time, once the necessary shaving technique has been established. Mine isn't though the debut shave has been a good one.

I watched some tutorials on the 'tube, everyone recommended not to start with a complete shave but to start with the wtg pass on the cheeks for a couple of weeks only and then add the neck area only later. I'll likely follow the advice and intend to do the clean up passes / passes on the neck with a regular DE.

Have a great day!
I concur with starting with the wtg passes on the cheeks. I definitely am not giving up, but it's a different beast and requires more focus and devotion than DE shaving needs from me :).

Still in, no pic.

Razor - 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 7)
Blade - Müster Platinum (2)
Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
Brush - Omega Boar
Post Shave - Alba Botanica 98% Aloe Vera

Head shave S-N, 2 pass. Second is just a clean up. Excellent shave from the Gillette on its second use by me. I'm liking it. Still pleased by the blades as they are performing much better than expected.
I love my Slim. Initially it made me want to get more adjustable razors, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother.

Fatip/clubman Friday
Still in.
If you want help on how to stay away from buying new soaps, just use the same soap for a week or two and see how it goes down. For me it made me realize it will take over a decade (or 3) to go throught all of them. This soap was at about 50% in November when I decided to use it exclusively excepted on MdC Mondays. Still haven't finished it shaving every 2-3 days. Since I started wetshaving I never finished a soap. Now that I know how long it takes to finish one, it's lot easier to stay away from buying new soaps.
If you really want to stay away from buying new soaps start 3017ing them - use one soap until it's gone, then move on to the next. It really helps you dial each specific soap in and makes you focus on performance more than scent. That Reef Point Soap is unobtainium at this point since they closed up shop - I'd always meant to order the Submariner.

January 21​

Eleventh fixed-four weekly shave. Sub-zero temperatures challenge comfort for sensitive skin. Last weeks shave in retrospect was drier skin than usual. Normal or oily skinned shavers might not respond to or notice the effect dry cold temperatures have on your skin. My shave will be focused on elevated skin sensitivity. Basically A Lighter Touch.

Grande & Feather
Zenith B-35 Boar
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo

My neck skin was already sensitive from our continuing cold snap. I decided to do two ultra light ATG passes for the face shave. Shea butter for pre shave first pass. On the second pass I used the SV pre shave oil for extra lube and glide. It definitely helped to achieve a super close face shave.

The head skin is like a different world. The extra lubes in the brush with outstanding creamy lather. ATG Single Pass got down to the smooth wood, with minimum strokes. Alum, Witch Hazel, Hyaluronic acid, Mango Butter and the Cosmo A/S kept disappearing into the post skin. Decent post skin comfort with a little skin tightness on the good side of my neck. All around good comfort in such drying conditions. I will use some skin moisturizer mid week.

Week three in the sabbatical. I haven’t woke up in a cold sweat, at three in the morning. Craving septic sticks or anything.

Happy Shaves

F3343184-CE6C-4FC0-90E9-8E24B982988B.jpeg

Still here. I just finished off the sample pack of blades I bought last fall. It was a fun experience and I learned there are some really good blades out there, with some being better than my normal favorites. I've still got a couple hundred blades, so no desire to run out and buy any blades, but I documented those I really enjoyed so I'll remember which ones will be good buys when it's time.

Still in. Another great shave from the Gillette this morning. It is earning it's place next to my other adjustable (CCCP Rubin). Head shave S-N, one pass with a cleanup. The blade continues to do well (3 & bin). Next blade will be a Treet Falcon.

Gillette (J3) Slim Adjustable (6 setting)
Müster Shaver Fine Special Edition (Platinum) blade
Omega Boar
Stirling Bay Rum

tTBb599GS7SS8MB0U5wfQQ.jpeg

Me too, although both the adjustables I have are gifts. So I get the best of both worlds, I get new razors and I don't have to buy them. Last razor I bought was a RazoRock Eco, and I'll probably PIF it or trade it.
What didn't you like about the ECO? I was admiring it in your December shaves and had half a thought to try it, but I didn't want to go down the SE rabbit hole yet knowing I was planning the sabbatical this year.

What didn't you like about the ECO? I was admiring it in your December shaves and had half a thought to try it, but I didn't want to go down the SE rabbit hole yet knowing I was planning the sabbatical this year.

I have a Katana and like it better. There is nothing wrong with the Eco, just no reason for me to have both. The Eco is easier to load blades and is less aggressive. The Katana head is smaller and the angle envelope is larger. The Eco is a wonderful razor and if I didn't have the Katana I would keep it.

Top Bottom