What's new

January 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 19, 61.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4, Ti Handle, Wizamet SI #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Tried a quick WTG, XTG plus tidying up of problem areas, and got a presentable CCS.

still in - DFS+ with the New Long Comb and a fresh Nacet

IMG_0942.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_7442.jpg

Still in.

Still loving the Tabac, shaved while the little one ran around my legs and the bathroom, he's just discovered how to walk on two feet and is walking/running/lunging from place to place. Love it.

On a side note, I noticed a lot of ppl counting shaves on a blade? How do you do it? I usually shave until one day/shave I finish and go.... huh... that wasn't that great.

View attachment 1396522

Still in.

Still loving the Tabac, shaved while the little one ran around my legs and the bathroom, he's just discovered how to walk on two feet and is walking/running/lunging from place to place. Love it.

On a side note, I noticed a lot of ppl counting shaves on a blade? How do you do it? I usually shave until one day/shave I finish and go.... huh... that wasn't that great.
I keep a simple paper journal to track my shaves. I also try to run only 2 DE blades in parallel and I try to shave with every razor 3 consecutive times. Most blades I change after 3-6 uses so it is not rocket science.

The guys who can get 20-30 or more shaves out of 1 blade might have a more elaborate system.

I keep a simple paper journal to track my shaves. I also try to run only 2 DE blades in parallel and I try to shave with every razor 3 consecutive times. Most blades I change after 3-6 uses so it is not rocket science.

The guys who can get 20-30 or more shaves out of 1 blade might have a more elaborate system.
I have a glued magnet strip located in a wardrobe (with numbered sections from 1 to 9). Out of reach for my kids @linty1... 😉
In those cases when I can push a blade to the two digit range I put a dot on the blade with a waterproof pen and start again. Simple, but It works.
20220120_145542-01.jpeg

Depending on the blade I can manage to get six to a dozen of good shaves out of a blade. But all this blade count is misleading to some extent if you don't state how many passes you have shaved... 😉

But TBH I still have no clue how the members of Excalibur Club can quench up to 100+ shaves out of one blade... maybe my whiskers or even more likely my technique is to blame... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
View attachment 1396522

Still in.

I have a glued magnet strip
Same here.

IMG-3801.jpg

Still in. Used my birth year Gillette Slim Adjustable (J) for the first time today. Nice razor, overall positive experience. I am comparing this to my Soviet Rubin Adjustable. Not a fair comparison as I've used the Rubin for decades and this was the first use on the Gillette. It seems that the efficiency of the slim at equal levels is lower than for the Rubin. The Rubin is more efficient (for me) at 5 than the Gillette at 5. Same for level 6. I will use setting 7 for the next shave to see how that compares. I will say the Gillette is a beautiful shaver, I just need to dial it in, literally. The weight is excellent (heavier than the Rubin) as is the handle length (shorter than the Rubin). I used a fresh Müster Platinum blade, again the blade is very nice, much better than I expected. The Stirling soap continues to deliver excellent shaves. Overall a very pleasant shave.

xTEugGykTL2f-NXZDzxc3Q.jpeg

Top Bottom