What's new

Rockwell 6S in Blue - Quality Razor for Face and Head Shaving

Every time I screw the handle on the post I can hear the paint scraping away
That area of interaction will always wear and no paint finish will withstand that errosion. You can use a plastic washer to limit that errosion.
You get wear even on metal to metal interaction between handle and base plate.

Whether they offer a refund or a plain razor or something else entirely, I'll be sure to share whatever response I get.
Opt for a plain metal finish now or you will always be disappointed; all paint finishes are subject to chipping in use.

I have the 6S is black, I haven't had it very long. But I don't seem to be having these issues. I am looking to buy another razor because, well, because there are razors to be bought. But I just can't find one that I feel will meet my expectations after using the 6S. I have even seriously considered buying a standard 6S with no finish and sanding and buffing it until it's shiny again. I may just do that. I just wish the plates were a little thinner to keep the whole size of the razor down a little. That would be my one and only complaint.

I initially used the 3 plate. Got a knick or two. Then before I was good with that, I bumped it up to a 4 plate and got a good knick on my chin. So backed off and used a three plate until I could get consistent comfortable shaves. Just the other day I manned up and put on the six plate reasoning that I would not likely die from blood loss. I placed my phone on the counter and dialed 91. With my finger hovering over the other other 1 key I began my shave. My technique has improved greatly. No knicks and only one tiny weeper and I didn't look like Kevin McCallister when I put on aftershave. So that was a win. Today I was in a bit of a hurry and dropped back to a 4 plate and it just seemed like it was taking forever to get the job done. I guess I'll be bumping back up to the 5/6 plate.

I have the 6S is black, I haven't had it very long. But I don't seem to be having these issues.
I'm glad that your experience was better than mine. I had issue from the minute I opened the box. I hope that your finish continues to prove more durable than mine.

Other than the paint issues I really do enjoy using the razor. I used a Nacet blade for the first time yesterday morning with the 6 plate and had a great head and face shave.

I'm glad that your experience was better than mine. I had issue from the minute I opened the box. I hope that your finish continues to prove more durable than mine.

Other than the paint issues I really do enjoy using the razor. I used a Nacet blade for the first time yesterday morning with the 6 plate and had a great head and face shave.
I am beginning to wonder if the black is a different coating than the red and blue.

After sending an email to Rockwell last week Friday and still not receiving a reply, I sent them a strongly worded email yesterday voicing my displeasure. While I appreciated the initial response from their customer service, I'm no longer impressed with how they've chosen to handle my situation. Just like @Java they've chosen to ignore me.

So this evening I did a little research and found the email address of one of the founders and forwarded him all of my correspondence and asked if he was in a position to help me resolve this situation. I'll let you know if I get a reply back.

Man, that sucks. I hate having to do it, but one thing that I can guarantee will get their attention is opening a dispute with your credit card company. Sometimes even threatening to does the trick.

Man, that sucks. I hate having to do it, but one thing that I can guarantee will get their attention is opening a dispute with your credit card company. Sometimes even threatening to does the trick.

The thought did cross my mind but I'm hoping that speaking with a co-founder will get things moving in the right direction. If not, at the very least it's an education for others who will hopefully learn from my experience and stay away from their painted razors and not to put too much stock in their customer service being their long term.

On Sunday morning the co-founder replied to my email and was extremely apologetic for the poor communication on the part of their customer service team and was shocked to learned that I had received 2 razors with paint issues. He said that he would have their brand manager get in touch with me asap to rectify this situation. The brand manager emailed me this morning and also was very apologetic and told me that he would personally oversee the handling of the new blue razor they would express ship to me. He's also sending me a small gift and a return shipping label so that I can send them my 2 damaged razors for their engineers to examine and determine why they had issues.

While there are reviewers online who had paint problems with their razors, they seem to be mostly related to Rockwell's first batch of red and blue ones from mid 2020. I seem to be the outlier with 2 razors with paint issues straight out of the box.

While I'm cautiously optimistic that the third time will be the charm, if this next one has paint issues I'll be requesting an unpainted replacement and a partial refund for the inordinate amount of time I've had to dedicate to this.

Let me guess... He said "Your email went to our spam folder."
:lol1:

Their explanation was that once customer service escalated my ticket, someone from that team should have responded to me and they are looking into why no one did. So yeah I guess it kinda did.

For those of you still following along, the drama continues....

I reached out to Rockwell Monday evening because I still hadn't received the razor some 9 business days after it shipped. Their standard shipping is 5-7 business days. When the brand manager told me he would use "express shipping" to deliver the razor to me, I made the assumption that it was going to be via UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. Nope, they used their standard economy shipping from Stallion Express with a handoff to USPS. Looking at the tracking history on USPS, it made it all the way to my town and was out for delivery last Saturday then inexplicably was never delivered, was returned to the post office, and then sent back to New York state on Sunday. I asked them to find out if the box was damaged and being returned to them or if there was something else going on. Their reply was that they were in communication with their delivery service and would update me. I never did get an update from them and the box arrived yesterday, 11 business days after shipping. Instantly I knew why the box was sent back to NY. They attached both the shipping label and the return label on the outside of the box. I'm sure the postal workers in my town thought it needed to go back, and so it did.

I opened the box last night and made a super critical examination of all the components and to my surprise there was no scratches, no nicks, just a great looking razor. Everything was perfect, which was surprising because one of the plates was loose in the box. "Third times the charm" or so I thought, until I went to unscrew the handle. The handle was on this razor much tighter than the previous 2 and as it unscrewed I could hear the telltale sounds of paint scraping. The handle came off and deposited paint shavings on the R1 plate. As you can see in the pictures, the paint is from the post which has exposed metal and paint can be seen in the threads inside the handle.

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

I sent them an email last night with these and other pictures and I haven't heard back from them yet. Figured I would give them a business day to reply to me before posting on here. The cofounder I reached out to has been CC'd on these emails between me and the brand manager so I was hopeful that he would have chimed in with a comment or two when I was still waiting for delivery or when I discovered more paint issues but again nothing.

Last month I submitted a 1 star review on their website based on their paint QC issues and included pictures. That review was never posted so I'm inclined to believe that I'm not the only one having these problems with their paint.

This whole experience with Rockwell has left a sour taste in my mouth and while I love the 6S I will never buy another one of their products again.

That experience sucks. Their finishes aren't the most durable. I have the 6s matte version and the first time the handle screwed against the baseplate (snug not overtighten) i felt and heard the parts scraping. There was an immediate shiny wear "ring". In the end I could have put a nylon washer to avoid but currently to not want the hassle and the post isn't super long. I do have a new replacement topcap in the mail now since there were some minor edge imperfections. On a positive note, it shaves great and most importantly the blade alignment is even.

I see my 6S (regular matte finish) as a tool so I don't care about colors - but I suspect if they had one in green I'd be a sucker for it. I'm very happy with mine but I get it - you want blue, you paid for blue, you should have blue.

Conclusion to this comedy of errors

Sorry I haven't followed up. The brand manager reached out and sent me a new top cap. I was on vacation so I don't know how quickly it arrived but when we got home and I opened the box I found a knick in one of the stabilizing posts of the top cap. Seriously, you can't make this up.

IMG_5590.JPG

It was placed in a plastic bag and the only thing in the box with it was kraft paper for protection. There was no blue paint fleck in the bag so I have no choice but to believe that it was like that when they packaged it. I also never heard back about the issue with the return label, so I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see that one was not in the box. All these promises of personally handling my case and personally making sure each component was pristine was just talk.

I sent this picture to them and told them that I was done with them and that while I would keep the latest 6S that they sent me, I would return everything else and never purchase from them again. I eventually was emailed a return label and sent everything else back to them.

Hey @Just Another Dave how's it going with the Rockwell 6S?

Sorry to hear about your experience
It still gives a great shave and I'm enjoying using it, despite my problems with the company. I've been thinking about trying a different razor for a few months now (like Karve's SS Christopher Bradley or Above the Tie's Windsor Style) but I'm juggling a lot at the moment and haven't had much time to do research.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom