What's new

Least amount of backbone between these Simpson brushes?

I am looking for a Simpson brush that fits into their smallest tube case but has the least backbone and feels softest on the face. This will be used as my travel brush.

According to Simpsons these are my options:
  • The Special
  • Case 1
  • Duke 1
  • Classic 1
I owned a Classic 1 in Silvertip and while the tips where some of the softest I felt it had too much backbone and had scritch if I even gave it a little bit of pressure against my face. I think it's because the knot is set deep in the handle, but idk. And yes I tried breaking it in so I think this is how it's going to be. It has at least 50 shaves on it.

Out of the other 3 are any of them particularly less stiff?

Not on your list but Tulip 1 doesn't look any fatter than a Duke 1 and length is under 92mm.

My son has it so I can't give you measurements. Didn't even have a chance to drill holes in the container! Maybe someone with a T1 will chime in with dimensions. Would it fit the 34mm x 92mm small travel tube?

full

Not on your list but Tulip 1 doesn't look any fatter than a Duke 1 and length is under 92mm.

My son has it so I can't give you measurements. Didn't even have a chance to drill holes in the container! Maybe someone with a T1 will chime in with dimensions. Would it fit the 34mm x 92mm small travel tube?

full

maggards has the T1 at the following dimensions:

Overall brush height - 88mm
Handle height - 45mm
Knot loft - 43mm
Knot diameter - 19mm
Weight - 50g

So it's short enough but not sure about the width.

maggards has the T1 at the following dimensions:
So it's short enough but not sure about the width.
Yup we we need the diameter of the widest part of the handle. Needs to be under the 34mm ID of the travel tube.

Great little brush, the Super knot is soft and luxurious. In a fan like that it splays easily and feels bigger than it is.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Simpson web site states that the smallest travel tube will accommodate the Case 1, Duke 1, and Classic 1. I use the small travel case with the Calssic 1 Best which I suggest has too much backbone for the OP, and also with the Wee Scot. From the list I suggest the Case 1 although I personally did not care for it as it lacked density although the price reflects that.

My Special fits in the small travel tube and is a wonderful brush. I can't speak for the brush in Best as mine has pure bristles. Tons of backbone and definitely not soft when splaying, which is the opposite for what you're looking for.

You can always try one in best. The worst that could happen is that you have to resell it for a little bit of loss. I think on Amazon they go for around 40 bucks if it's in stock.

Simpsons Special Best Badger..... easily fits into my "travel tube" (5.5 inches high and 2 inches diameter),
and would fit into an even smaller travel tube. For me and my face, it's the perfect travel brush.
Very soft face feel with "just enough" backbone to create a terrific face lather.

3AC1A917-8FD7-4C9F-8134-5FF3FB707D29.jpeg
17538CB9-C3C1-4EEE-BFD8-484D87A290C1_4_5005_c.jpeg
3CCF693B-1F17-4E73-9785-1B14724CCC7D.jpeg

The Special isn't densely packed by Simpson standards. It is a nice brush too. That would be my suggestion, but I have not used or owned a Case, nor have I ever used the Simpson Travel tube. Nevertheless, I'm sure you could find a small medicine bottle that would fit any of the brushes you have discussed.

I have a case that I re-knotted after 2 uses. Felt like trying to lather with a stiff wire brush. I also own a Duke 1 in best that I absolutely love. Soft on the face and splays easily with no scritch. I know that Simpson brushes vary widely but mine is a joy to use. Good luck in your search.

@latetotheparty

I bet the place you intend to buy your goods would check the Tulip 1 for fit in a small case for you.

In the mean time I've asked my son if he would check the diameter. I'm curious now to find out if it would work.

Last edited:
I’ve used a Case in Best for several years, for travel and in rotation at home. Short loft makes the most of the knot’s density. Very soft tips. Certainly no scritch or scratch. Lathers efficiently and holds warmth and moisture. What’s not to like?

1642542431700.png

Special S1
Overall brush height
- 92mm
Handle height - 50mm
Knot loft - 42mm
Knot diameter - 18mm

Weight - 50g

1642542509605.png

Classic CL1
Overall brush height - 83mm
Handle height - 40mm
Knot loft - 43mm
Knot diameter - 21mm

Weight - 52g

1642542580094.png

Case C1
Overall brush height - 79mm
Handle height - 42mm
Knot loft - 38mm
Knot diameter - 19mm

Weight - 41g

1642542637876.png

Duke D1
Overall brush height - 81mm
Handle height - 39mm
Knot loft - 42mm
Knot diameter - 20mm

Weight - 45g

Case C1 Best that I own since 6 months is the backbone winner among your list. But the backbone is not bothering your face and provide an ease to load harder soaps.

As you'll notice the other 3 nominees shares aprox. same loft size and backbone are very close. I love my Duke 1 best, that I acquired same time with my Simpson 55 Best.

But if I have to pick one good allrounder, I'll pick Berkeley 46 Best which is my favorite among my Simpson pack.
If I have to limit my Simpsons with only 3 brushes I'll keep Berkeley 46 Best, Case C1 and Wee Scott.

Berkeley 46 Best (thanks to 44mm loft) splays easily on face, flow is impressive.

If you have to pick "strickly" among your list less backboned is Classic CL1 with its 43mm loft.

Here is my berkeley 46
berkeley46.jpeg

This is Case C1
casec1.jpeg

This is my CH1
ej316simpson.jpeg

This is the Simpson 55
hencels10072.jpeg

Another Photo of my Berkeley 46
rex12082021.jpeg

If you don't have a Berkeley 46 Best, I highly advise to have one

My ‘travel’ (and occasional home) brush is Simpsons Wee Scot! Great brush that I cary in a small pill bottle from my pharmacy.

Top Bottom