What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Still in. Very nice shave this morning. First use ever of the Muster Shaver Platinum blade. It worked beautifully. Normal 2-pass S-N head shave

Soviet Rubin Adjustable - 6 setting
Muster Shaver Platinum blade (1)
Stirling Bay Rum soap
Omega Boar brush

j2S_PxdQSi60H9otsRjksA.jpeg

#38 still in, but I really need to stay out of that Charcoal Goods thread....lol

Nice shave this morning with my Windsor, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Soap and AS, Lord Platinum blade, and PAA Amber brush. Hard to believe 2 weeks have gone by already. I have the feeling it's going to get harder and harder as time goes by. Lots of shiny things out there to catch my attention....:biggrin1:

Last package arrived that I had arrived on midnight, a pack of p-30 Schick blades for the Vector from Connaught shaving. Excited to try these as I hear they are a great balance between Feathers and the pink kai mild pink blades.

#38 still in, but I really need to stay out of that Charcoal Goods thread....lol

Nice shave this morning with my Windsor, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Soap and AS, Lord Platinum blade, and PAA Amber brush. Hard to believe 2 weeks have gone by already. I have the feeling it's going to get harder and harder as time goes by. Lots of shiny things out there to catch my attention....:biggrin1:
Brian should continue to be making Charcoal razors into next year, no rush to get a new one.

I used the last day of my restock window to buy a crappy Red Deer straight razor and a leather strop block with a grit block to try my hand at bringing a less than ideal razor up to shave ready. I did not buy the 4000/8000 combo waterstone or the 12K waterstone as that seemed too much to "try something out" this year. I do have waterstones up to 3000 grit for sharpening wood working tools, so those will have to do.

I'm still in - seat belts tightly fastened (a bit tighter than usual to remind me to stay on the wagon) and ready to warp to new civilizations and enjoy wet shaving with the stuff I already have.

#50 still in.

From December 1st until January 15th, I’ve been using my favourite winter / holiday soap, PAA Space Nog and have been getting fantastic shaves. It has made me realize I’m going to start using the same soap for at least a week instead of switching each shave so I can really get my lather dialled in.

No temptations or perusing… yet.

Hi,

There is another Restraint Thread some folks might like following. It runs for an entire decade. There are only a few in it. So, the chatter is fairly low.

To help pass the time, I have been posting a couple times a week with the old Burma Shave roadside jingles.

BTW, this was another one of my half-baked ideas for a restraint theme: The Year Of Burma-Shave. But, the only way to get it these days is buying NOS off of eBay. So, it was an idea I discarded like I did the Soylent Green idea! :p

For those who don't know, Burma-Shave was a brushless shaving cream from way back. 1927. Or, at least, the advertising signs dated back to 1927 and ended in 1964 or so. Not long after the signs were gone, so was the shaving cream. Most of the signs were about shaving without a brush and, of course, using their product.

The way it worked, is they paid some landowner to put these signs up just off the road right of way. They used straight stretches of two lane roads. There were variations on the theme, but mostly they were white text, in all caps, on a red background. Signs 18" high and 40" wide in a series spaced far enough apart to let each line sink in before the next one could be read. There were six signs in a series generally with five with the jingle and the last always saying Burma-Shave.

The company published the jingles yearly and gave little booklet with them away. Long ago, someone coalesced these into a file and I wrote a little program to pop one up at random on the computer screen when turned on. I found the old data file and have been posting them a couple times a week for the past couple years over in that 10-year restraint thread.

I've not used All Caps as I didn't want it to look like shouting. Rather, I just capitalize the first letter of each word. And, skip a line between each line of text. The old program would pop a line up every two seconds, but I can't do that here. So, each y'all have to cadence the jingle your own self. ;)

Here's a sample:

Shaving Brushes

You'll Soon See 'Em

Way Down South

In Some

Museum

Burma-Shave

That's a sample of most of them. But, since these were roadside, some were driving safety related. Those are my favorites.

Heed This Message

If You'd Be Spared

Trains Don't Whistle

Because

They're Scared

Burma-Shave

That one sits along the driveway to the railroad museum in Chattanooga, TN. Or, it did some years ago now the last time I was there.

So, to help pass the time during this year, here's where I post these gems:

Page 9 is where I began posting the jingles. The thread is up to Page 40 now. And, the jingles are into 1947, when they began putting up new signs after WWII.

Stan

@KQY61 that thread is actually two sabbaticals. The "short" is from one Feb 29 to the next one in 2024. The longer one is for the decade of 202x. It is a lower traffic thread but still kind of fun. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I can probably do a couple of the decade sabbaticals without resupplying... :blushing:

Still in. 2-pass S-N head shave. Same gear as last time, I think the Bay Rum will be done or close, by month end. The hole in the bottom is getting bigger an I've re-spread it once. The blade did another really good job, no complaints there as it's my first time using the brand. One more shave with it and I'll bin it. The razor keeps trucking along, as it always does. All in all, another great shave.

shave.jpeg

@KQY61 that thread is actually two sabbaticals. The "short" is from one Feb 29 to the next one in 2024. The longer one is for the decade of 202x. It is a lower traffic thread but still kind of fun. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I can probably do a couple of the decade sabbaticals without resupplying... :blushing:
Hi

True. I left the Leap Year part out. Oops.

Well, I have enough soap and razors and brushes to get thru a couple decades..... Probably not enough Burma Shave jingles, tho....

Stan

Hi,

There is another Restraint Thread some folks might like following. It runs for an entire decade. There are only a few in it. So, the chatter is fairly low.

To help pass the time, I have been posting a couple times a week with the old Burma Shave roadside jingles.

BTW, this was another one of my half-baked ideas for a restraint theme: The Year Of Burma-Shave. But, the only way to get it these days is buying NOS off of eBay. So, it was an idea I discarded like I did the Soylent Green idea! :p

For those who don't know, Burma-Shave was a brushless shaving cream from way back. 1927. Or, at least, the advertising signs dated back to 1927 and ended in 1964 or so. Not long after the signs were gone, so was the shaving cream. Most of the signs were about shaving without a brush and, of course, using their product.

The way it worked, is they paid some landowner to put these signs up just off the road right of way. They used straight stretches of two lane roads. There were variations on the theme, but mostly they were white text, in all caps, on a red background. Signs 18" high and 40" wide in a series spaced far enough apart to let each line sink in before the next one could be read. There were six signs in a series generally with five with the jingle and the last always saying Burma-Shave.

The company published the jingles yearly and gave little booklet with them away. Long ago, someone coalesced these into a file and I wrote a little program to pop one up at random on the computer screen when turned on. I found the old data file and have been posting them a couple times a week for the past couple years over in that 10-year restraint thread.

I've not used All Caps as I didn't want it to look like shouting. Rather, I just capitalize the first letter of each word. And, skip a line between each line of text. The old program would pop a line up every two seconds, but I can't do that here. So, each y'all have to cadence the jingle your own self. ;)

Here's a sample:

Shaving Brushes

You'll Soon See 'Em

Way Down South

In Some

Museum

Burma-Shave

That's a sample of most of them. But, since these were roadside, some were driving safety related. Those are my favorites.

Heed This Message

If You'd Be Spared

Trains Don't Whistle

Because

They're Scared

Burma-Shave

That one sits along the driveway to the railroad museum in Chattanooga, TN. Or, it did some years ago now the last time I was there.

So, to help pass the time during this year, here's where I post these gems:

Page 9 is where I began posting the jingles. The thread is up to Page 40 now. And, the jingles are into 1947, when they began putting up new signs after WWII.

Stan
My in-laws gave me a NOS Burma-Shave mug (still in the box with the soap) and a newspaper clipping about the history of the jingles for Christmas. It was a nice surprise--I already had a Burma Shave mug but didn't know about how they used to advertise.

Still in! I am enjoying this thread along with the 365 in 2022.

I just finished my first product of 2022: Zingari Unscented ASB. Highly recommended. I generally 3017 both soaps and aftershaves. Next up: Aveda ASB.

My Leviathan soap formed a hole in the center today, but we'll see how long that takes to finish off.

To keep myself in check I am keeping a fantasy list of items to buy or perhaps order in 2023. More of this soap will definitely be on there.

Still In
SOTD
Astra Superior Stainless blade
Homemade synthetic brush
Homemade soap
CVS Branded Razor (my first safety razor)

Very smooth and mild razor and it has a good weight. While this razor is nowhere close to being my favorite I will give it a week or so. Blade is getting old and the shave could have been closer but still a nice experience with no drama.

SOTD.jpg

Just put the last of a block of Cella into containers for use this year. I bought the block to get through last year and it was my primary soap. I had not used it before buying the block but quickly came to like it a lot. The one Kg block is likely the best soap value out there in terms of cost. I put it into AOS and Arko tubs that I have kept. For most of the year, I kept the remainder wrapped tightly in the refrigerator produce drawer. I don't know it that was necessary, but it didn't seem to hurt it. If I have a challenge this year, it will likely be because I run out of Cella. I have #63, ProRaso, Arko, and Mitchells Wool Fat on hand but I do like my Cella.

Top Bottom