What's new

Storing Falcon pipes

I inherited a Falcon straight. I have yet to try it as it needs to be cleaned up a bit but I like the concept a lot.

@Ponycarman that twisted one is doggone sweet looking. I will have one as soon as I can find one as long as the price isn't outrageous, I don't see them on the above referenced site in the UK. Discontinued? I hope not.
I'm not sure but they may have been discontinued. I have only ever seen them recently from one place. On ebay there is a seller from Estonia I think that still have them. I ordered it from them a couple years ago. It took a while to get here but it did arrive in good shape.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@AimlessWanderer
You obviously have quite a bit of savvy regarding the Falcons.
A stupid question for you if you don't mind...
Are the Falcon Bowls all interchangeable with all Falcon pipes?
Are there specific Falcon Pipes that I can't use a Falcon Bowl that I would just up and order off of the various sites that seem to all have bowls, but not pipe bodies?
I guess I am trying to figure out if there is a specific pipe body I should avoid because it takes a different size bowl than is readily available at most of the pipe and tobacco outlets.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer
You obviously have quite a bit of savvy regarding the Falcons.
A stupid question for you if you don't mind...
Are the Falcon Bowls all interchangeable with all Falcon pipes?
Are there specific Falcon Pipes that I can't use a Falcon Bowl that I would just up and order off of the various sites that seem to all have bowls, but not pipe bodies?
I guess I am trying to figure out if there is a specific pipe body I should avoid because it takes a different size bowl than is readily available at most of the pipe and tobacco outlets.

Avoid anything that says Alco, Phil. That was a subset, now obsolete, which is not compatible with the ranges sold today.

The standard, extra, hunter, and international stems, are all compatible with the bantam, standard, hunter, and classic bowls all available new today, plus the aftermarket meers with the plastic threads.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Also, they are not compatible with the similar looking systems offered from other makers. Dr Plumb Peacemaker, Nording Keystone, Mr Brog Captain, etc.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, sometimes It's hard to beat a simple cardboard box.

IMG_20220110_212808.jpg

IMG_20220110_212836.jpg

I haven't done the cut outs for the bowls yet, as I haven't decided how many to make provision for. Nor whether to just add Falcon bowls, or add a second Compass bowl.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
... and if it isn't abundantly clear already, I think it's fair to say I'm a Falcon convert now. ;) I'm still not overly sold on the aesthetics, but the simple practicality and low cost do appeal to me.

I don't envisage getting any more stems, but more bowls are pretty much assured.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
... and if it isn't abundantly clear already, I think it's fair to say I'm a Falcon convert now. ;) I'm still not overly sold on the aesthetics, but the simple practicality and low cost do appeal to me.

I don't envisage getting any more stems, but more bowls are pretty much assured.
How do you like that International stem?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How do you like that International stem?

I haven't smoked with it yet, but it seems like it will do the job just fine. There is somewhat of a "cheap" feel to it, which may be off putting to some. Doesn't phase me though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the "dual" filtration of the humidor and ring, plus the inline filter, affects the smoke. I might bounce the Chimney bowl between that and another stem when I do the first smoke with it. That way, I should get a good feel for how much of a difference that secondary filter makes.

How do you like that Chimney bowl, @AimlessWanderer? Does it heat up quickly? I’ve thought about getting one, and the only real feedback I’ve heard about them is one single guy on another forum saying that his got hot too fast.

Nice collection!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How do you like that Chimney bowl, @AimlessWanderer? Does it heat up quickly? I’ve thought about getting one, and the only real feedback I’ve heard about them is one single guy on another forum saying that his got hot too fast.

Nice collection!

The chimney bowl is still waiting to be smoked too :biggrin1:

I got a cluster of pipes from Christmas to New Year, and haven't taken them all for a test drive yet. I think all but one of my conventional pipes have had at least one smoke now, but none of the new Falcon stuff has been smoked yet (chimney bowl, bent stem, International stem, and Algiers bowl).

I have thought the same thing though. It does look a rather thin wall (5mm). I thought about sticking to flake for a while, till it builds some cake, but a 22mm wide bowl x 49mm deep, will take forever to smoke if filled with flake.

I was originally planning on using it for Virginias, but that might compound the issue further. So I haven't decided what's best to smoke with it yet.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Go to GQ Tobacco. Shipping from the UK is reasonable. If you do buy my advice would be to grab 2-3 bowls to make the shipping less if a factor.

They do smoke nice and are good for a knock around pipe.
Looks like GQ recently stopped accepting PayPal. Just an FYI

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Neat! I wonder if a small thread bobbin rack would work?
Clearance from post to post would be the issue, as long as there is enough space between posts I don't see why it wouldn't.
Most of the ones I have seen have about 1.5 inches CL post to post, so that wouldn't be enough space to fit bowls on adjacent posts.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Clearance from post to post would be the issue, as long as there is enough space between posts I don't see why it wouldn't.
Most of the ones I have seen have about 1.5 inches CL post to post, so that wouldn't be enough space to fit bowls on adjacent posts.

Plus, the smaller the peg in the board, the more movement each bowl would have, and be more likely to clatter against its neighbours.

Also, if done on a vertical peg board, the closer the diameter of the dowel, to the diameter of the draught hole, the less the bowl will try to tilt forwards/downwards.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Now the rest of the bowls have landed, I've been able to make the appropriate cutouts in the the foam in the bottom of the box.

P1050097.JPG

I intentionally left myself a space vacant, in case any of the bowls didn't work well enough for their intended purpose. I don't think that will be the case, but it made sense to add that expansion space now, rather than have to re-jig everything if I did happen to add another bowl later. I might even choose to add a meerschaum bowl at some point. I've avoided that so far though, as they are quite spendy, and I am rather prone to dropping things.

This will do for now though. It keeps everything organised, and keeps all the mix-and-match pipes out of the pipe drawer.

Top Bottom