What's new

Disappointing first shave with Vikings Meiji

I've been using a Parker Variant for the last several months as I've gotten back into DE shaving. I really like the Variant. I read good reviews about the Viking Meiji so I decided to order it. First, let me say that it's a really nicely constructed razor. I like the weight, look and feel. I loaded it this morning with a Personna Red which I love with the Parker Variant. However, I wasn't happy with the shave with the Meiji this morning. I'm guessing I'll have to try different settings on it. I tried it at about 4.5 to 5. I have some stubble left on my neck which is my toughest area. With the Parker, I get close to a BBS, especially with my favorite blades. I want to like the Meiji. Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience of if you have recommendations. Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
All razors are just blade holders. Find the right angle, find the right pressure, shave away, haha!

I bet you just need time to get used to it.

I bought a Vikings Blade Emporer and tried to like it. It shaved horribly. Between a Rex Ambassador, Merkur Progress, Rockwell 6s, and a Gillette Slim, the Emporer came in dead last.

That was one of my first razors, I didn't like it much. I use it once a month for the heck of it, it's alright. TLDR: you need a sufficiently large box techniques to figure it out. Not great for a beginner. Also, the doors are Zamac and people have had them deteriorate with daily use.

First, importantly, the blade loading. It is not easy to get it lined up so the doors close smoothly, but you must keep fiddling with it EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's a well documented issue. Second, probably due to these same tolerances, the blade forms a frown. Even though it won't necessarily cut you, it produces an uneven cut if you just try fast gliding strokes. You will need more overlap between strokes. Third, the adjustment procedure. Obviously, or not, the razor needs to be at max before closing the doors or you WILL damage it eventually. This means that you can't leave it dialled where you had it last shave. This may result in experimenting with shaving at max accidentally once or twice. Lastly, the dual comb head. You need to figure out which side works best for different parts of your face and switch often enough or you will wear down half the blade unevenly. If I was using it daily, I would use the one side I like best one day and flip the blade the second. The claim is that the high gap side is the aggressive side, but I completely disagree. This does depend on whether you are shaving steep or shallow, but the low gap side has always been prone to pull the top off facial bumps for me. The high gap side is perfect for steep shaving, but you constantly have to be on top of things if you decide to use the other side as it will require a different technique. Also, I get cut every time I use this razor and I can't figure out what is cutting me. I mean a little slice like mis handling the heel of a straight razor. It might be the frown, it might be the blade tabs.

I've been using a Parker Variant for the last several months as I've gotten back into DE shaving. I really like the Variant. I read good reviews about the Viking Meiji so I decided to order it. First, let me say that it's a really nicely constructed razor. I like the weight, look and feel. I loaded it this morning with a Personna Red which I love with the Parker Variant. However, I wasn't happy with the shave with the Meiji this morning. I'm guessing I'll have to try different settings on it. I tried it at about 4.5 to 5. I have some stubble left on my neck which is my toughest area. With the Parker, I get close to a BBS, especially with my favorite blades. I want to like the Meiji. Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience of if you have recommendations. Thanks!
I sure am sorry to hear of your less than great experience with the Meiji. I have had one in rotation for about a year and have used it with many different blades from Feather to Trig and have decided to buy one for my son. I hope you get it figured out, mine has been great.

Top Bottom