What's new

In the old days ….

Did guys use to use pre-shave stuff, post-shave items, etc. back in the old days? Or did the just lather up and get it done? What do you all think?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting question, I think it was more of a evolution in shaving. I think barber shops who did straight razor shaves for their customers used hot towel application to clean the face and soften the beard. Then applied the lather and started the task of shaving. I have used the hot towel method but prefer to brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser for great face feel during the brush massage and post feel.
Gillette pamphlet I read once states to clean face of dirt & facial oils first (defoliate) and then apply lather so that is what I do, Gillette did a lot of good research in the Golden years of shaving to get good results for their products.

My dad only ever washes his face with soap beforehand before applying a hot towel. No aftershave products are used.

There's an old barbers manual on straight razor shaving from 1905 that I read a while back and they mentioned the use of Witch Hazel and Bay Rum. Aftershave products have existed for quite a long time. On that, I love those vintage Old Spice ads.

I learned to shave in the 1970s, from my father, who probably started shaving in the 40s. Get out of the shower, leave your face wet, lather up, shave, cold rinse, dry, aftershave. Done.

I only started including moisturiser, as a substitute for aftershave (alcohol-based), in the late 1990's. I can't remember what clued me up, but I was dating a girl who worked at a fancy cosmetics shop, so I'll blame her!

Both my father (DE shaver) and grandfather (SR shaver) washed their face thoroughly with soap and water before applying lather. That is all.

It worked well enough for them so that is all I do.
It is what I do also! I enjoy shaving but I am not starting a pre shave the night before. Wash my face, soak my brush, face is wet, apply lather, shave..my father did it that way, and he always looked good after a shave. No hurry...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I learned to shave in the 1970s, from my father, who probably started shaving in the 40s. Get out of the shower, leave your face wet, lather up, shave, cold rinse, dry, aftershave. Done.

I only started including moisturiser, as a substitute for aftershave (alcohol-based), in the late 1990's. I can't remember what clued me up, but I was dating a girl who worked at a fancy cosmetics shop, so I'll blame her!
ALWAYS blame a woman.

But ONLY if they can't hear you!

I too take the shorter way.
Shower, Lather, Shave, Aftershave.
If I was pushing the blade too long and was dealing with a little pulling, tugging or such I might splash on some W.H. while cleaning up then A.S.
All of these balms and pre-shaves and oils and powders and etc... Not for me. To each their own.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't believe in "exfoliating" my skin, ie: scrubbing off your dead skin cells. Skin is an organ, the largest humans have, and was designed to keep out infection and hold your internal organs in place, lol.

So I ALWAYS try to treat it as gently as possible to get the job of shaving done. I just use a wet wash cloth, as warm as I can tolerate, for as long as I have time for, to soften my whiskers and then proceed to try not to damage my skin and at the same time try to get those whiskers as closely shaven as possible.

Follow up with AS, Balm, or nuttin' but water, depending on my mood, or what I think my incredibly handsome face needs.

For me, starting in '61, plain hot water washcloth beard soak as a pre-shave as brush soaked. Build lather on the puck of Williams or Old Spice, Lather beard and shave with my Gillette Slim. Rinse, dry and apply After Shave. I use the same method now days. Simple.
When I first started shaving, before I got my technique perfected, I did find a need for those little pieces of toilet paper :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Put brush in sink.
Run hot water in sink.
While sink is filling, scoop hot water and rub it on face.
When sink is full enough - face is wet enough and brush has soaked enough.
Shake excess water from brush and load it on soap.
Face lather and shave.
Rinse face with cool water, pat dry, and apply alcohol aftershave splash.

Top Bottom