What's new

Need Help with Duke 3 Synthetic

I have been primarily using shaving brushes for about 50 years, but for the first time I have been getting "brush burn". It's only when I use my Duke 3 synthetic. I'm guessing it's the extra force I need to use to get it to splay when I face lather. Once I've whipped up the lather, I can use "painting strokes", and then it is very gentle on my face. Today I tried first rubbing some shaving cream onto my face so that the brush would glide more easily on those initial strokes, but it only helped very marginally. I would put the Duke 3 aside for now, except that I'm on a two week trip and it's the only brush I have taken along with me. I know that many folks think very highly of this brush, so what am I doing wrong?

You probably haven't got a bowl with you on your trip, so why not give palm lathering a try? I know that a lot of people don't like it, but it's a sure-fire way of avoiding your brush burn.

This is a good suggestion.
OP can get the lather going and thickened up palm lathering and then move to the face.
The thickened lather will help prevent brush irritation and allow easier splay.

Palm lathering did help, but I'm back home now and the Duke 3 is boxed up and ready to go. If I don't sell it in the BST, I'll just wait to next year's St. Sue Auction and donate it there. I am now 0 for 3 with Simpsons synthetic brushes. I have been much happier with synthetics from Yaqi, PAA, TurnNShave and RazoRock - all of which are also considerably less expensive.

Palm lathering did help, but I'm back home now and the Duke 3 is boxed up and ready to go. If I don't sell it in the BST, I'll just wait to next year's St. Sue Auction and donate it there. I am now 0 for 3 with Simpsons synthetic brushes. I have been much happier with synthetics from Yaqi, PAA, TurnNShave and RazoRock - all of which are also considerably less expensive.

+1! BST or St. Sue are your best bets!

You have more experience with synthetics than I do. I quickly decided that I prefer ‘natural’ hair.

Top Bottom