What's new

What did you hone today?

I like the hayabusa much more than the 3k superstone. I have had great results from 1.5k shapton or 1k chosera, then the 3k ss, hayabusa, then 8 k ss, then whatever final finisher. After the hayabusa, there is no swarf on the 8k.

20220109_001453.jpg

As many here seem to enjoy, I have started rubbing Japanese stones together in search of that magical samuri edge. I guess it was inevitable but I resisted a long time. I have 3 economical stones to work with to start. The two larger are called Ozuku. Rectangle from BST here but I think orginally was a CKTG koppa. The odder wide shape from ikkyu. The smaller is a large "tomo" ive had for a about a year and have actually honed directly on carefully.

Fixed up two new to me razors; a Robeson Shuredge No. 14K400 that had an original sticker claiming for "Medium Beard, Very Tender Skin. (Requires little stropping)!" And a beautiful Crown & Sword with bone handle I was very excited to get. Used my 2x4 coticule to remove some small nicks then set to work on the jnats. I tried every combination of slurry imaginable. The darker tomo makes nice feeling slurry and just erases bevel scratches with nice a shiny sand blast look. The other two are hard to slurry even with diamond plate. The CKTG is amazing to hone on while the ikkyu is almost too hard and needs some slurry buffer. Shuredge finished on the CKTG and Sword on ikkyu. Both aced hair tests and were beautiful under magnification.

Shaved with the Shuredge first, just a perfect shave. Crisp and safe. Will use the Sword next. Very impressive razor stones.

Downsizing some of the collection before heading home and gave these five a spin this afternoon to remind me of them, so I could give accurate descriptions for BST. (Though I think they might have sold already, so won’t put them up here for the moment!)

Charnley, Idwal, Idwal, Rouge du Salm, Melynllyn.

54375DEF-3CC9-4660-9D10-F6FE92518204.jpeg

I paired this NOS Dubl Duck Goldedge 8/8 Blade with horn scales and I was the first person to put some hone wear on it today. It had some chips in the bevel that I removed with the Naniwa SS 1K. This was a very slow process and looking back I should have probably used something coarser to do the repair part, but I wanted to remove as little as possible. After repair and bevel set I continued the Naniwa SS progression up to 12k. Finished on old Norton translucent ark and some laps on CrO hanging leather strop.
The blade has a nice thin hollow grind and shaved wonderful.
IMG_20220109_211720.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A early Fili 13 on a Y/G Thuri. Has the “Espana” on the show field, not on the reverse. The stone is not a typical muddy Y/G, has a very hard feedback. Need to put in extra work but delivered a tree topping monster

E06C680E-1AE5-4C90-81CA-F866D037E988.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I paired this NOS Dubl Duck Goldedge 8/8 Blade with horn scales and I was the first person to put some hone wear on it today. It had some chips in the bevel that I removed with the Naniwa SS 1K. This was a very slow process and looking back I should have probably used something coarser to do the repair part, but I wanted to remove as little as possible. After repair and bevel set I continued the Naniwa SS progression up to 12k. Finished on old Norton translucent ark and some laps on CrO hanging leather strop.
The blade has a nice thin hollow grind and shaved wonderful.View attachment 1391249

I have the twin brother to yours still wearing it’s original shoes. It’s a little more beat up than yours, been around the block a few times over the years. This 8/8 is one of the noisiest SR that I have

B3CE912A-1905-4981-BCFF-88F0E8E95600.png

timwcic

"Look what I found"
What is this hone?
Like looking down in deep deep water.
Beautiful.

I wish I knew. To this day it still is a mystery. I think it is a weird type of English, Welsh Novaculite. Even so, it is one of my best finishers. It’s every bit equal to my best Coti, Thuri, Jnat, Ark, and so on. It also has the deepest holographic, 3-D surface of anything I have. I love this stone

Posted it here, Post 362, before I knew was it was capable of

D596D4E4-62D0-4C0D-80EB-ED9CD8A6FC4C.jpeg

I wish I knew. To this day it still is a mystery. I think it is a weird type of English, Welsh Novaculite. Even so, it is one of my best finishers. It’s every bit equal to my best Coti, Thuri, Jnat, Ark, and so on. It also has the deepest holographic, 3-D surface of anything I have. I love this stone

Posted it here, Post 362, before I knew was it was capable of

View attachment 1391684
I would guess Charnely Forest on that one. Anything that would suggest otherwise?

I would guess Charnely Forest on that one. Anything that would suggest otherwise?

I personally would've guessed Welsh, just because of the Purple-Brown + Green colouration.

In the way that Idwals seem to be some kind of green, slaty chert/novaculite, that looks like a similar affair in purple... mebbe (?)

Put this razor on the larger, blue-ish, of these two Thuris last night, used the smaller, soft green, one to slurry.

IMG-4160.jpg

Then comparing these two stones. Top is a dark blue Tam. Bottom I'm still not sure on, might be some kind of very hard and fine Ayrshire stone, may be something else...

IMG-4177.jpg

I personally would've guessed Welsh, just because of the Purple-Brown + Green colouration.

In the way that Idwals seem to be some kind of green, slaty chert/novaculite, that looks like a similar affair in purple... mebbe (?)

Sorry if I am miss understanding what you say here. Charnley Forest stones come from Leicestershire England which is in the middle of England. Not Wales.
But wait. The Charley Forest Glanrafon does come from Wales.

Sorry if I am miss understanding what you say here. Charnley Forest stones come from Leicestershire England which is in the middle of England. Not Wales.

Ah I just meant that I would've guessed Tim's stone was Welsh rather than CF, but only guessing that because there are a number of other purple-with-green-splotches stones from Wales.

I had knocked this Törnblom into the sink a few days ago and my new synth progression made short work of the small chips. I think I found a place for my ILR; after experimenting this weekend, a few passes on it after the Fuji 8k seems to set things up nicely for the ark. I also surfaced the ark with 600 w/d and that, combined with WD40, seems like a sweet spot. Best HHT I've gotten to date.
20220110_132025.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"

A Charn has always been on my short list. What I have in the con of the pro/con list is the color and cut. While is does have green inclusions among others, it’s predominant color is brown/maroon/mahogany. If the colors were reversed, I would be more firmly in the Charn camp. The cut of the shape also gives me pause. All six sides are a relatively flat cuts that I read as a later hone. There are no signs of a rounded bottom that would put it in the early, extra fine category. It could always be a later cut of a uber fine vein long exhausted

A Charn has always been on my short list. What I have in the con of the pro/con list is the color and cut. While is does have green inclusions among others, it’s predominant color is brown/maroon/mahogany. If the colors were reversed, I would be more firmly in the Charn camp. The cut of the shape also gives me pause. All six sides are a relatively flat cuts that I read as a later hone. There are no signs of a rounded bottom that would put it in the early, extra fine category. It could always be a later cut of a uber fine vein long exhausted
Yeah the fineness in early or later is a mix bag either way I believe. It has more to do with the hardness of the stone I think and how burnished the stone is. As the denser this type of material is the finer it usually is. Also what was considered better back in the day I believe had more to do with speed than fineness. As for the cut yes it would be a later sourced cut stone from the looks. It sounds like what I see on my screen maybe a bit off. I see a lot of the Red/purple mixed with green making a lot of the other shades you describe. Which not having in hand I can only guess from looks. I would guess it is a later CF with a high lever of the red buried in it muting the green and altering the colors. To me it just looks like a really cool odd CF and the level to which it finishes also seems to align with that. What I can say, but not sure it matters with CF. Is the saw marks differ from the saw marks I have on my labeled Marples CF and oddly enough I have similar saw marks on a older rounded based driver extracted. The saw marks or more at an angle then straight up and down as seen on yours. Both of those stones are just as hard as the others though. My finest one maybe a the tiniest bit harder than the Marples I don't know, but it has years of steel across it which has made it a bit finer.

Ok In looking at your stone again the visible fractures look more like Llyn Idwal than what is usually seen in the CF.

But you got to agree, that "slate laid" novaculite is some amazing stuff. It produces edges with every bit of a coticule "can't cut you edge" but the sharpness of a trans ark. That's good stuff, more and more I'm finding it hard to beat(especially if you throw it on a black or trans Ark for a long season).

Top Bottom