What's new

Rockwell 6S blade alignment

Could you upload a video or photo? :) Ill try again
As you can see in this picture, the razor assembly has started, but it's still loose. As I continue to twist the handle with my right hand, I maintain light pressure on the exposed blade tab with the thumb of my left hand until everything is tightened.
Screen Shot 01-09-22 at 01.02 PM.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the razor assembly has started, but it's still loose. As I continue to twist the handle with my right hand, I maintain light pressure on the exposed blade tab with the thumb of my left hand until everything is tightened.
View attachment 1391270
It actually helped alot! It only requires minor adjustetments when using this technique!

You may have better results by placing the top cap on the countertop, pressing the base place down (to seat the blade and screwing the handle on while keeping the razor heat upside down on the countertop.

Has worked well for me.

Could you upload a video or photo? :) Ill try again

In addition to the picture from Wogus, I figured I'd add a couple, pictures as well in case it helps.

This is my preferred method, with the top cap sitting on the counter upside down. My thumb is pushing on the blade tab and my index finger is pressing against the base plate, but not touching the opposite blade tab. I hold it like this, then tighten the handle.
IMG_2418.JPG

This also works. Again, my thumb is pushing on the blade tab, but with my index finger and middle is pressing against the base plate and top cap on the opposite side, but not pressing against the blade tab. My index and middle finger are kind of straddling the blade tab so that I'm not pressing against it. I hold it like this, then tighten the handle. It looks more dangerous than it is since when I have both hands to work with, all the weight is in my other hand that would be holding the handle instead of the camera.
IMG_2426.JPG

It actually helped alot! It only requires minor adjustetments when using this technique!
If the above technique isn't working, I can only conclude that something is really, really, not right and here's why.
Blade.jpg

In this illustration the two, round, alignment posts on the top cap of the 6s fit into the angled alignment holes of the blade, labeled "A" and "B". Pressing the blade tab to from left to right (indicated by the green arrow) pushes the entire blade to the right. The angled edges of these two holes, indicated by the red arrows, automatically aligns the blade against the round pins on the top cap.

I have the Rockwell 6C and the Gamechanger .68. I've never had any alignment problems with the 6C and using it with plate 3 is very similar to the GC .68. I like a mild razor and these two are always smooth and easy shavers.

Thanks for all the replies. I was not expecting this level of help. Thanks!
When doing the above mentioned techniques it does seem to help, but does not align it 100% correctly, minor adjustments are needed after the above mentioned techniques.

Is it always perfect for you guys when doing that?

Also it looks like you have a buffer between your handle and baseplate. Is that a good idea to have?

I have the Rockwell 6C and the Gamechanger .68. I've never had any alignment problems with the 6C and using it with plate 3 is very similar to the GC .68. I like a mild razor and these two are always smooth and easy shavers.
Which one do you like the most? :D

I have zero tolerance for blade alignment bs. Having said that, the following razors have always been dead/nuts accurate for me:

Any Gillette Tech
Any Gillette Super Speed
Game Changer

Every modern chrome plated DE I’ve used has had minor to huge alignment issues. Find yourself a vintage Tech or go for modern unplated machined stainless steel razors to avoid this issue.

I have zero tolerance for blade alignment bs. Having said that, the following razors have always been dead/nuts accurate for me:

Any Gillette Tech
Any Gillette Super Speed
Game Changer

Every modern chrome plated DE I’ve used has had minor to huge alignment issues. Find yourself a vintage Tech or go for modern unplated machined stainless steel razors to avoid this issue.
The GC seems to be a good options. Brass Karve looks good too, not to expensive.

Thanks for all the replies. I was not expecting this level of help. Thanks!
When doing the above mentioned techniques it does seem to help, but does not align it 100% correctly, minor adjustments are needed after the above mentioned techniques.

Is it always perfect for you guys when doing that?

Also it looks like you have a buffer between your handle and baseplate. Is that a good idea to have?

Mine always comes out aligned correctly when assembling it the way I described. With that said, I'm used to doing it, so not sure whether or not it's just a matter of getting used to the technique.

I do use a nylon washer with mine between the handle and baseplate, but that's just to preserve the cosmetics of the razor by preventing scratches on the baseplate when tightened down. The washer does not have any affect on the alignment.

The GC seems to be a good options. Brass Karve looks good too, not to expensive.

No experience with a Karve but from everything I’ve read and their detailed specs for the different plates, I’m confident blade alignment won’t be an issue. The hardest part is picking your aggression level. ☺️

The cast stainless razor heads I've tried have had alignment issues too. I'm definitely going machined only from now on.

I had a 6S with alignment issues, Rockwell didn't help me. I returned the razor to the seller. Unacceptable to me. My $10 Gillette Tech doesn't have this problem.

Thanks for everything! I think I decided on the GC :) If it shaves as good as my Rockwell I will get rid of the rockwell :D

I'd be interested to know what you think of the GC after getting it since I use the same plates as you on the Rockwell (plates 2 & 3). I had tried a Lupo and didn't like it (too much blade feel), but it sounds like the GC would be a better fit for me in that regard.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the GC after getting it since I use the same plates as you on the Rockwell (plates 2 & 3). I had tried a Lupo and didn't like it (too much blade feel), but it sounds like the GC would be a better fit for me in that regard.
Sure! I'll update it here when I get it. It can take a while though. It's sold out in Sweden, meaning I have to get it from italianbarber or buy a used one. A used razor does not seem appealing to me

@Wogus and @J-MN I received a Rockwell 6S as gift yesterday, and your help was precious because I have this problem, now the blade is perfect on both sides.

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much guys. :ouch1:

This alignment method for this razor should be teaching here, because people have thrown this magnificent razor in the garbage can for this reason.

@Wogus and @J-MN I received a Rockwell 6S as gift yesterday, and your help was precious because I have this problem, now the blade is perfect on both sides.

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much guys. :ouch1:

This alignment method for this razor should be teaching here, because people have thrown this magnificent razor in the garbage can for this reason.

Glad to hear that our explanations were helpful to you with your 6S.

It's an easy enough process for aligning the blade, but not necessarily easy to explain in writing.

Top Bottom