What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
download (1).jpg

Reporting in.
I've come back from a short 5-day travelling holiday, equipped with the following:

Gillette new deluxe common bar razor
Wilkinson Sword vintage (England)
Simpson Special in Best
Simpson Classic in 2-band
B&M reserve classic
SV aftershave samples.

Today back home I used a Ralf Aust 6/8 square point SR, SV Manna di Sicilia soap, chubby 2 Manchurian Brush. I forgot about aftershave, it just wasn't needed !

I'm pretty sure I can get through this year by avoiding Simpson brush sales, it's my area of weakness.

Hi,

Just bringing the latest crew roster up since we can still have sign ups for those who have not bought anything since Jan 1st.

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#13 Jamesearthdrum: no exception
#14 Noodles: no exception
#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception
#21 snowman - no exceptions
#22 Chesty - no exception
#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac
#26 ShavingPanda - no exception
#27 GaryTha no exception
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions
#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again
#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic
#39 Invicta - no exception
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor
#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era
# 50 B_R_A_D - Razor
# 51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception

Stan

And...I'm dragging my feet in listing #21 snowman as Out to see if he returns or PIFs those $1 impulse buy carts.... Man, I'd hate to see anyone go Out for a dollar! In fact, I went back for the list to set him Out, but then recalled our suggestions regarding the purchase. So, we ought to give him a little time.

Last edited:
And...I'm dragging my feet in listing #21 snowman as Out to see if he returns or PIFs those $1 impulse buy carts.... Man, I'd hate to see anyone go Out for a dollar! In fact, I went back for the list to set him Out, but then recalled our suggestions regarding the purchase. So, we ought to give him a little time.

I went out last year due to can of Barbasol. Went on my quarterly trip to guard drill and left my shaving brush behind on accident. Tried lathering with a towel for a day, but that was for the birds and one day was enough of that. I will not make that mistake again, as I will pack two brushes from now on when traveling along with a card and my safety razor as well.

Also, had my first shave of the new year. Vector razor with OC base plate loaded with a feather pro blade on its second shave. Some tallow and steel soap that I might bin after today that just doesn’t feel great on my skin during the shave, but gives a wonderful post shave paired with the Myrsol formula K.

Week one is in the record books with success. Today's shave was with a British Slim Twist (American version was the Knack) that I bought for $8.00 after I went out last year. The original plastic handle was cracked and losing the ability to stay on. I modified the connection point a little and mounted it onto a 4" Maggard handle that I had sitting around. The machine work is imperfect in keeping with my tools and ability but it has worked well and I have been impressed with the way it shaves from the start. This is the razor that I put the Personna Lab Blue into after aborting my last Variant shave. Soap was PDP #63 that was purchased in last year's restock. Brush is a copper handle Zenith Manchurian that is another addition after falling out last year. Executive Man splash was purchased late December just after deciding to take on this year's restraint. If I go out this year, it won't be because of need.Shave.jpg

I went out last year due to can of Barbasol. Went on my quarterly trip to guard drill and left my shaving brush behind on accident. Tried lathering with a towel for a day, but that was for the birds and one day was enough of that. I will not make that mistake again, as I will pack two brushes from now on when traveling along with a card and my safety razor as well.

Also, had my first shave of the new year. Vector razor with OC base plate loaded with a feather pro blade on its second shave. Some tallow and steel soap that I might bin after today that just doesn’t feel great on my skin during the shave, but gives a wonderful post shave paired with the Myrsol formula K.
Hi,

I recall that. I was of the thinking that you should have been OK on that one. That's an Oh! Snap! moment and you were not succumbing to any sort of AD there. And you had to keep on shaving. I've gone on trips and forgotten stuff and had to buy a replacement. The operative word here is Had as opposed to Want.

We are trying to curb our Wants. And, often times Wants which have gotten just a tad away from us. ;)

Stan

... I've gone on trips and forgotten stuff and had to buy a replacement. The operative word here is Had as opposed to Want.
In a prior sabbatical I had to travel but was not able to bring shaving gear. So I went with "scruffy" for what ended up two days. I managed to survive.

Status unchanged - still not in. :cuppa:

Good morning all. I’m still here and expect to be for a very long time. I traveled to take my daughter back to college last weekend and realized I’m probably low on the travel Gillette foamy I normally take with me. Since I don’t anticipate traveling a lot this year it hopefully won’t become a problem later in the year.

In a prior sabbatical I had to travel but was not able to bring shaving gear. So I went with "scruffy" for what ended up two days. I managed to survive.

Status unchanged - still not in. :cuppa:
Hi,

The way I was reading it, he was in a military reserve type situation where one is required to be clean shaven. So, forgetting something requires a replacement. And, it isn't only in-service where such is required. Times like that need a little leeway.

Stan

Hi,

The way I was reading it, he was in a military reserve type situation where one is required to be clean shaven. So, forgetting something requires a replacement. And, it isn't only in-service where such is required. Times like that need a little leeway.

Stan

This was the situation. I knew I could have possibly pressed on, but to me no buying means no buying. Also, the fact that I’m fully aware of what I need when I travel and had prepared to take what I needed with me and it somehow not making it into the bag was my own ignorance.

Hi,

Just bringing the latest crew roster up since we can still have sign ups for those who have not bought anything since Jan 1st.

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#13 Jamesearthdrum: no exception
#14 Noodles: no exception
#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception
#21 snowman - no exceptions
#22 Chesty - no exception
#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac
#26 ShavingPanda - no exception
#27 GaryTha no exception
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions
#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again
#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic
#39 Invicta - no exception
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor
#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era
# 50 B_R_A_D - Razor
# 51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception

Stan

I'm still in if its cool with the gents here. One of my college age sons stopped by for dinner last night. Beef Stew...good stuff!! As usual, I loaded him up with left overs to take with him. I dropped the $1 pack of Walgreens razors in with everything else. So I'd like to consider that a PIF.

On a side note. This morning he texted me. He found the pack of razors last night when he was unpacking. He shaved with one this morning and reported it to be "total garbage". He then PIF'd the remaining 2 to his roomate...who hasnt shaved....ever.

Top Bottom