What's new

New convert

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome! Lots to experience; look forward to the journey.

Some off-the-freshly-shaven-top-of-my-head thoughts:

Brush: You need one. Badger and boar are pretty traditional, there's also horsehair and other more exotic natural fibres. I like boar -- I can get a really good little boar brush by either Wilkinson Sword or Omega in most stores in my area for about ten bucks. Despite using one nearly every shave I have yet to wear it out. Excellent quality boar is still cheaper than mediocre badger, if you're looking to move up a little without breaking the bank.

Razor: Yeah, you need one of those, too. :) For a normal plain DE (double edge) I definitely lean toward RazoRock. The Gamechanger, Lupo, and BBS are all pretty common among members here. When you're ready for another (related) adventure, you can explore slant razors as well. They're not scary but they do work best if you've sorted your technique a bit before trying them. Lots of good ones, including an upcoming whole series of new slants from RazoRock. There's your second razor...

Blades: Personal favourite is the Astra SP. Only DE blade I use any more, though I have a box full of Rapira, Derby, PolSilver, Voskhod and some others just in case I want a little strange stuff. Astra seems to scratch my itch, though so it's been years since I tried anything else in a DE.

Cream/Soap: Something you can burn a bunch of as you sort out lathering. Proraso is pretty middle of the road -- and probably you can find at least the green and maybe the white where you are. I make some of my own, which is easy but requires setting aside an afternoon to watch things melt and cook. I also, being cheap (well, we Scots say "thrifty") use a nice bath soap as a shaving soap. Personal favourite is Yardley's Oatmeal and Almond Moisturizing, which costs me all of five bucks for two bars and lasts a couple of months. Nothing against that $75 can of Mrs. McGillicuddy's Drawers or whatever the high-end soap is, but what I use does what I need and leaves me with more money to spend on razors.

You'll want a mug -- an old coffee mug is a good starter. You'll want a bowl -- a simple stainless bowl from the thrift store will work, I've even found copper bowls for cheap and used them. Or you can go all-out and pick up a Captain's copper bowl -- lovely heavy thing that many here hope to be buried with.

That oughta getcher motor runnin'.

O.H.

Welcome! Lots to experience; look forward to the journey.

Some off-the-freshly-shaven-top-of-my-head thoughts:

Brush: You need one. Badger and boar are pretty traditional, there's also horsehair and other more exotic natural fibres. I like boar -- I can get a really good little boar brush by either Wilkinson Sword or Omega in most stores in my area for about ten bucks. Despite using one nearly every shave I have yet to wear it out. Excellent quality boar is still cheaper than mediocre badger, if you're looking to move up a little without breaking the bank.

Razor: Yeah, you need one of those, too. :) For a normal plain DE (double edge) I definitely lean toward RazoRock. The Gamechanger, Lupo, and BBS are all pretty common among members here. When you're ready for another (related) adventure, you can explore slant razors as well. They're not scary but they do work best if you've sorted your technique a bit before trying them. Lots of good ones, including an upcoming whole series of new slants from RazoRock. There's your second razor...

Blades: Personal favourite is the Astra SP. Only DE blade I use any more, though I have a box full of Rapira, Derby, PolSilver, Voskhod and some others just in case I want a little strange stuff. Astra seems to scratch my itch, though so it's been years since I tried anything else in a DE.

Cream/Soap: Something you can burn a bunch of as you sort out lathering. Proraso is pretty middle of the road -- and probably you can find at least the green and maybe the white where you are. I make some of my own, which is easy but requires setting aside an afternoon to watch things melt and cook. I also, being cheap (well, we Scots say "thrifty") use a nice bath soap as a shaving soap. Personal favourite is Yardley's Oatmeal and Almond Moisturizing, which costs me all of five bucks for two bars and lasts a couple of months. Nothing against that $75 can of Mrs. McGillicuddy's Drawers or whatever the high-end soap is, but what I use does what I need and leaves me with more money to spend on razors.

You'll want a mug -- an old coffee mug is a good starter. You'll want a bowl -- a simple stainless bowl from the thrift store will work, I've even found copper bowls for cheap and used them. Or you can go all-out and pick up a Captain's copper bowl -- lovely heavy thing that many here hope to be buried with.

That oughta getcher motor runnin'.

O.H.
Excellent response.

A mug and a bowl… this thing is growing 😆
Welcome my friend. That's probably the extent of the gear you need to get started. Plenty of reviews here and other places on the web for the variety of razors, blades and soaps that have been recommended to you by B&B's seasoned wetshaving vets. I'm confident you'll find everything you need to get started and I hope you have fun exploring the different products out there. As previously recommended, I highly suggest spending time in the Wiki if you haven't already. I've lost many hours there myself but I've walked away better educated.

May you have many great shaves ahead of you.

Welcome to B&B.
Two of the 3 razors that have been recommended to me by the person who referred me to this forum are the Game Changer .68p and the Hensen AL13. I am intrigued by both, they check the manufacturing boxes. They both are described as mild or even “brainless”. I do have a soft spot for aerospace grade machined and anodized aluminum. The GC is well received too. Unless further reading suggests a better first razor, I will likely try one of these first.
The Game Changer .68 would suit your criteria if you are a daily shaver.
There are good choices of synthetic brushes available but you have to choose a knot and loft; that really comes down to personal choice so do a little research on that. The Proraso or Cella soaps are well regarded and readily available. Proraso also have a reasonable after shave at a competitive price.
Aftershaves can be expensive but a good aftershave balm like Nivea is a good daily moisturiser for the skin.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your journey with us.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Welcome aboard. Lots of great advice. Unfortunately it’s a rabbit hole though. Buying and trying however you can try to sell off what doesn’t work for you.

I agree with most things said here. Just don't get a boar brush as your only brush. It will be stiff and uncomfortable right out of the box. Boar brushes are wonderful if you give them time to break in. And a few days in cold water in the fridge will do just that. Buy a nice synthetic brush. It will be ready immediately. Merry Christmas.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I agree with most things said here. Just don't get a boar brush as your only brush. It will be stiff and uncomfortable right out of the box.

Synthetic brushes are ready to go instantly. Just wet it and whomp up some lather. I find synthetics good for travel -- or at least I did when we could still go somewhere. I like my boars, though. Never had a problem with them, and didn't waste my time or clutter up the fridge with that soaking method -- but of course if someone wants to go through all that I've no problem with it.

I simply have a little cup beside the sink. When I think, "I think it's time to shave!" I put some warm water in the cup and put the brush in it to soak for a few minutes while I get other things ready. When I'm ready, so is the brush.

O.H.

The Wiki here is its own 🐇 🕳 and research fatigue has set it. Fortunately I found a thread by long term members with their recommendations for newbies. I disregarded all the advice of course! Well, not really.

So product is inbound. Henson mild in blue, PAA Amber Aerolite brush, TOBS sandalwood cream, and Proraso soap and aftershave. Whew. Bowls and mugs I have aplenty.

Well the shavin’ swag has arrived. I much prefer the smell of Proraso soap to the TOBS sandalwood. Oh well! Proraso aftershave is nice too. Glad I got those 2 staples. So it’s on like Donkey Kong tomorrow am after the morning shower!

The Henson razor feels about the weight I expected after weighing my cart razor; but it seems smaller overall. Definitely not too long, and could stand to have a thicker handle. Thought the machined handle texture isn’t aggressive at all, it seems adequate. Will have to see if it preserves grip while wet and soapy.

Thought the machined handle texture isn’t aggressive at all, it seems adequate. Will have to see if it preserves grip while wet and soapy.
Just keep a damp alum block handy and rub your fingers on it occasionally even if you don't want to use it for it's intended purpose. It also helps you grip your skin when stretching. 😁

Because of this thread I just ordered a SOC Mistura with a cherry wood handle. I hope I like it.

Well the shavin’ swag has arrived. I much prefer the smell of Proraso soap to the TOBS sandalwood. Oh well! Proraso aftershave is nice too. Glad I got those 2 staples. So it’s on like Donkey Kong tomorrow am after the morning shower!

The Henson razor feels about the weight I expected after weighing my cart razor; but it seems smaller overall. Definitely not too long, and could stand to have a thicker handle. Thought the machined handle texture isn’t aggressive at all, it seems adequate. Will have to see if it preserves grip while wet and soapy.
Now the fun begins! Take your time & enjoy the learning. It takes time & practice, that’s what makes this such a great pastime, we have to practice! And remember, apply no pressure with the razor. This isn’t brain surgery, it’s shaving. Please share how the shaves are going. And remember… enjoy your shaves!

Now the fun begins! Take your time & enjoy the learning. It takes time & practice, that’s what makes this such a great pastime, we have to practice! And remember, apply no pressure with the razor. This isn’t brain surgery, it’s shaving. Please share how the shaves are going. And remember… enjoy your shaves!

Well… I enjoy paddling my canoe on beautiful waters. I’m hoping the shave is “good enough”.

I have a Parker 91R, which retails for about $29. Blades are a journey to find the right one, to work with the razor you have, and your face. Smooth, with efficiency, comfortable, and reasonable cost per blade. That Omega boar brush is a good brush to get started. Soaps, or creams, can be had locally in most drugstores, WalMart, Target, Woodmans. Don't have to buy "designer" soaps, and same with aftershaves. I picked up a tube of Gillette Pure shave cream for less than $6. My shave bowl came out of the kitchen, as the wife said she really doesn't use it. You can start on the cheap, and "grow" as you learn. I love all things DE, but I an not a collector. Many people on these forums have much more knowledge, especially about the razors. There are many choices to be made in this journey. Enjoy the shave...

First Shave

Finding the time to try the brush and soaps… geez, what spare time? During the week I’ve got to get 4 kids ready for school and lunches packed for them and myself. Not gonna happen. Saturdays, I make a big breakfast and gotta get kids to dance. Won’t happen then until my wife can drive again (broken ankle, in a boot now). Sundays… well that is my only day without regularly scheduled family obligations, so it’s my chance to get out in a canoe. No time to shave! What’s a Dave to do?!?

I shaved with the Mach 3 yesterday so this morning I had 1 days growth. I didn’t want to overwhelm the Henson with the full week’s stubble and didn’t have time to play with the brush and soaps this morning. I popped the first blade in the Henson and got in the shower. Used plain Barbasol foam and went for it. My first reaction was “crap, I should have got the medium version”.

I shaved in the pattern I normally do; down, then chase ATG. I’ve got a mustache at the moment so didn’t have to deal with under the nose, but did have the chin and lower lip. This razor gives very little feedback, at this level of growth, except going ATG I do get some audible feedback. There’s obviously going to be a bit of a learning curve to get the optimal angle programmed into muscle memory, but there’s no penalty for poor technique 👍

I finished up with Aqua Velva aftershave, which I think I prefer to the Proraso. I definitely got more sting from the aftershave than normal! But no nicks, no blood, no discomfort. Overall a fine shave. I’m delighted to know that I can just shave in the shower as normal so this DE safety razor thing doesn’t have to cost more time, or be put off, or cause me to have to get up 1/2 an hour earlier. At the conclusion of the shave I’ve decided the mild Henson is working out just fine. Time will tell with muscle memory and a longer beard if the mild was the right choice. And of course, I can explore other blades, but so far I’ve no objection to the Astra.

I’m not sure when I’ll try the brush and shave soaps… but I’ll report back when I do.

174D1FAA-4EAE-4DCD-A02E-1085A94796B6.jpeg

Welcome! @BigJ has some great suggestions. DE shaving need not cost an arm and a leg.
It's true. Imagine all the money you'll save ;)

Here's my best advice:

Choose any "starter razor" that you want. You will be told to get the Edwin Jagger or similar, the RazoRock TTO or similar, the Gillette Tech or similar; just choose one based on your own criteria (expense, newness, whatever). This is the least important step, along with choosing a blade.

To choose a blade, buy a sampler pack and just try them all. Decide later.

Whatever cream/soap/croap you decide to buy, make SURE- I mean absolutely CERTAIN that you are producing good quality lather. Practice until you get it right. Good lather is like 60% of the shave.

Lastly, focus on three things when shaving:
Maintaining the perfect angle at all times (a DE isn't like a flat cartridge), applying as little pressure as possible, and making a few gentle passes to reduce the stubble slowly as opposed to trying to dig as deep as possible to remove as much as you can with the first pass.

Buy samples of everything you can.

Map your beard growth.

Best of luck.

Top Bottom