What's new

Replacement for my Rockwell 6C suggestions

Yes gonna start with nothing less than karve "D", should I get a Karve razor. Thanks
The Karve brass was the second razor I purchased and is still in my rotation. I started with the B&C (SB) plates and kept moving up until I only use the SB (G) and OC (F). I have enjoyed the brass because it’s about half as expensive as the SS so adding plates is less costly and shaves the same.

Couple of other things to note:
1. The Karve clamps the blade as good as just about any razor available.
2. Karve publishes the specifications (gap & exposure) for each of their plates.

In my experience the Karve has been the best learning tool for razors. Every plate gives me the gap and exposure. This is a help when looking at a new razor and how it will shave for me. It’s not fool proof, but a good guide.

From my experience plate C open comb is close to 5 on the Rockwell, Sb C plate is 4ish, and plate D is like 6 on Rockwell, but D is more efficient but less smooth than 6 plate.

E is both smoother and more efficient than D from my experience. Again this is from my experience and YMMV. Good luck on your Shaving Journey!
Thanks a lot for the insights as this will greatly help me in my decision on which plates to get :)

The Karve brass was the second razor I purchased and is still in my rotation. I started with the B&C (SB) plates and kept moving up until I only use the SB (G) and OC (F). I have enjoyed the brass because it’s about half as expensive as the SS so adding plates is less costly and shaves the same.

Couple of other things to note:
1. The Karve clamps the blade as good as just about any razor available.
2. Karve publishes the specifications (gap & exposure) for each of their plates.

In my experience the Karve has been the best learning tool for razors. Every plate gives me the gap and exposure. This is a help when looking at a new razor and how it will shave for me. It’s not fool proof, but a good guide.
Yes gonna start with brass because it definitely durable and within my budget and gives me room to try out new plates which is half as expensive as the SS. Yes heard the workmanship and razor is of really good quality. Thanks for the response :)

:laugh: Well, that escalated fast. From a $50 razor to a $100+ razor. However, I've been thinking about the Karve brass as well.
Hahaha right. Karve looks really good razor tho might as well spend that extra 50 USD for something you will be happy to use for years to come :)

First of all... You should not be worried about Rockwell's workmanship. You can get a 6S if you would like a slightly heavier version of your 6C with a slightly less smooth surface. The quality will be excellent.
Second of all... Since you're using plate 4 you are pretty much average. And that's a good thing. Just get any medium razor that you like the design of. As long as it's not something cheap. A new razor should be an upgrade for you.
Shave on, buddy :)

I agree. I have a 6S and I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) those are made in the USA. You shouldn't have any workmanship problems.

From my experience plate C open comb is close to 5 on the Rockwell, Sb C plate is 4ish, and plate D is like 6 on Rockwell, but D is more efficient but less smooth than 6 plate.

E is both smoother and more efficient than D from my experience. Again this is from my experience and YMMV. Good luck on your Shaving Journey!
Seconding the first sentence based on my personal ATG shaving experience. I use the Karve SS on C and the Rockwell 6S at 4. The C is slightly less efficient than the 4. The D is much more blade forward and more aggressive than the 5, closer to 6.

Based my own experience with the B, C and D, I don't see how E could be smoother than the D, but razors and blade exposure and blade gaps and blade curvature do funny things with progression. I don't like the B or D yet find the C slightly wanting. If an E were my Goldilocks plate, that would be cool, especially as I do not like OC razors.

Seconding the first sentence based on my personal ATG shaving experience. I use the Karve SS on C and the Rockwell 6S at 4. The C is slightly less efficient than the 4. The D is much more blade forward and more aggressive than the 5, closer to 6.

Based my own experience with the B, C and D, I don't see how E could be smoother than the D, but razors and blade exposure and blade gaps and blade curvature do funny things with progression. I don't like the B or D yet find the C slightly wanting. If an E were my Goldilocks plate, that would be cool, especially as I do not like OC razors.
Hahaha now the question which plate to get? C or D?
Hahaha

Hahaha now the question which plate to get? C or D?
Hahaha
C if you want something safer. D if you want something more efficient where you have to take more care. I'm a lazy shaver and don't like to modify my technique, so I prefer the C, but a C.5 would be the ideal. Some might then suggest C OC, but I have not enjoyed OC razors in general.

Depending on your budget get both. :shaving:
In fact the Karve website Shows a daily shave option with 3 plates. They are B,C, and D. I suspect Chris would make that any 3 plates if you asked. It is a little better deal than buying the razor and 2 plates later. More money again! 😁

In fact the Karve website Shows a daily shave option with 3 plates. They are B,C, and D. I suspect Chris would make that any 3 plates if you asked. It is a little better deal than buying the razor and 2 plates later. More money again! 😁
Haha yeh that’s sounds like a good idea. Thanks mate :)

You don't need a replacement razor. You want it. Your problem was overtightening of handle thus ruining the threads. New razor does nothing to that problem...
Yeh most likely but a safety razor should be build to be more durable and not break apart after a few months usage 😛

Top Bottom