What's new

What's Available in Your Local Supermarket?

Nothing in the supermarkets here. But in town there are two, oddly enough, gentlemen's gift shops that sell a wide variety of things, from pocket knives, pipes, handkercheifs, hip flasks, that sort of thing, to--yes--shaving supplies. One is a complete ripoff, asking four times the price for 100 Astra SPs. The other I have frequented for years. They have a modest selection of Merkur and Muehl razors, strops, brushes, some SRs, and the ubiquitous Astra SPs (at a slightly more reasonable price).

Merritt, BC, CA
Most grocery stores and pharmacy sections (including Walmart) have the KCG products and Wilkinson Sword blades (made in Germany). Some have the Wilkinson Sword brush and soap too.

One local pharmacy carries the Rockwell 6C and starter kit.

Here in Belgium the Delhaize supermarkets have the King C Gillette razor for 15€ and the KCG blades for 5€/10 blades. The no name (black and white image) blades are 1,80€ for 10 DE blades, i tried them but find them uncomfortable. Also the Williams soap and boar brush. Nivea shave cream tube too. After shave balm also the nivea sensitive.

In the Chicago area burbs, Woodmans has a decent shave section. Lots of carts, but they have creams, Williams, Nivea, Gillette, VDH razor set, Wilkinson Sword blades, of which I purchased yesterday, for $1.19/tuck, plus the Gillette Pure, and my fave aftershave.
20211227_115359.jpg

I can get a VDH Weishi or a VDH Ming Shi 2000. That is about it. No blades or soaps to be found. A few years ago I could get brazilian Gillette Platinums, but no more.

In the Chicago area burbs, Woodmans has a decent shave section. Lots of carts, but they have creams, Williams, Nivea, Gillette, VDH razor set, Wilkinson Sword blades, of which I purchased yesterday, for $1.19/tuck, plus the Gillette Pure, and my fave aftershave.View attachment 1385398
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. Stopped by Woodman's today and got them for the same price.

I don't think there's anything in our grocery store, of our thing I mean, and at the drug store there's only a few soaps, Van der Hagen and Williams, a boar brush or two and some nondescript blades.

Not a great deal…mostly crap….😂 they had Palmolive tube a long while ago now that’s gone…nothing around my area that catches the eye

Was shopping this morning in my local supermarket to restock food. This was at Coles, one of the two major supermarkets chains in Australia.

While there, I was walking past the mens' shaving section. As usual there was almost nothing dedicated to the traditional wet shaver. There were two KCG DE razors each for AUD 30 (about USD 22) but no matching blades. There was however, one brand of DE blades available, Wilkinson Sword Classic. Ten blades for "only" AUD 14 (USD 10).

I then decided to check out the two pharmacies in town. One had absolutely nothing related to traditional wet shaving. The other had one no-brand boar brush (only) for AUD 14 (USD 10). No DE blades or razors in either pharmacy.​

Hello from Massachusetts, USA.
CVS drugstore chain- Cremo, generic boar brush $15, Gillette DE razor $30, overpriced Gillette DE blades.
Grocery store Market Basket- Cremo, Williams mug soap $1.09, 10 generic Market Basket blades made in Vietnam I believe $1.99
Not much but I do look Everytime that I shop. There is an old school independent pharmacy which I will try soon.

In the USA… esp Chicago area you have to order stuff. You might get lucky and find some decent aftershaves but you won’t find shave soaps or brushes.
It’s a small population it services @ least here in US

Dickinson's witch hazel which I use regularly, for aftershave splash, cuts and other skin irritations. Occasionally, I'll pick up a bar of Yardley bath soap for a change from my usual Grandpa's Pine Tar soap. A few years back I found Superior70 at a Walgreens for under $4, and stocked up.

My local Wegmans (Midlothian, VA) has Williams Mug Soap at $.99, Proraso green cream at $7.99 and matching aftershave for $9.99. They also stock Pacific Caffeinated shave cream for $6.49 in the 7 oz. size and stock Thayer's witch hazel. I haven't checked for blades but I'm pleasantly surprised by what they carry and the reasonable prices.

Dickinson's witch hazel which I use regularly, for aftershave splash, cuts and other skin irritations. Occasionally, I'll pick up a bar of Yardley bath soap for a change from my usual Grandpa's Pine Tar soap. A few years back I found Superior70 at a Walgreens for under $4, and stocked up.
Target has a large display of Dickinson's Witch Hazel products it can be found in the women's lotions aisle.

Recently travelled to a European island in a group named after mining birds. I flew light with only cabin baggage, taking a Merkur 933CL travel safety razor broken down in pieces, planning to purchase DE blades upon arrival. The only DE blades I could find, having trawled through many local pharmacies, supermarkets, shops, etc...a five pack of Laser International Range Stainless (not their Ultra range) made in India; I have shaved with sharper boiled eggs...
7A9DCD8A-C035-40AF-B3EB-B31AFEFBE1F8.jpeg

Top Bottom