What's new

Shepherd’s Pie

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This will go in the oven at about 8 tonight for around an hour at 400.

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3546.JPG

Shepherd’s Pie

4 tblsp olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped.
Cook until caramelized and sticking to the pan.

2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 tblsp each; Salt, black pepper, garlic, rosemary.
1 tblsp Thyme
4 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tblsp Cajun seasoning
3 large carrots diced and cooked
1 cup corn
1 cup peas
2 tblsp flour
Cook until thickened.

4 large Russet potatoes, whipped.
1 stick butter
1 tsp each; salt, pepper, garlic, parsley

This will go in the oven at about 8 tonight for around an hour at 400.

View attachment 1386699

View attachment 1386700

Shepherd’s Pie

4 tblsp olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped.
Cook until caramelized and sticking to the pan.

2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 tblsp each; Salt, black pepper, garlic, rosemary.
1 tblsp Thyme
4 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tblsp Cajun seasoning
3 large carrots diced and cooked
1 cup corn
1 cup peas
2 tblsp flour
Cook until thickened.

4 large Russet potatoes, whipped.
1 stick butter
1 tsp each; salt, pepper, garlic, parsley
What can I bring??
Looks very good.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Good looking Hunters Pie or is it Cottage Pie? :biggrin1:

We make a similar one, but add some cheese on top.

The recipe said Shepherd’s Pie so thats what I called it. I thought later though that a true Shepherd's Pie would use lamb. It's the first time I've made it. Its in the oven now and has another 30 minutes or so to go but, just from tasting the filling after it was cooked, its really good and very rich. I meant to add parmesan to the taters but forgot it. I do have some Mozzarella but that didnt seem right. I also forgot the Chives!

If it contains dead pig, you did something wrong.

Theres something wrong with using pork? Say it aint so, Al! lol.

Esox, beef or lamb it looks lovely. A few Smithwicks beforehand and who would notice or care. I haven't tasted a good Shepherd's Pie since an Irish bar in Maine, 6 years ago.

Thanks. I think it will be better than I expect it to be. I only had a tiny taste but I impressed myself.

What can I bring??
Looks very good.

I have Makers Mark and Blanton's so I think we're good!

Nice pie, thanks for the recipe @Esox.

You're welcome. I also forgot to add a small can of tomato paste but it might be a good thing I left it out.

I'll take another pic or two when its out of the oven and we'll see how well things go.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I meant to add parmesan to the taters but forgot it. I do have some Mozzarella but that didnt seem right.

Mature Cheddar. Every time. If foregoing the cheese, a little Coleman's English mustard mixed into the mash works a treat.

Theres something wrong with using pork? Say it aint so, Al! lol.

Pork pie is great! It's a whole different animal though... pardon the pun.

downloadfile(1).jpg

However, it still goes great with Coleman's English mustard and mature Cheddar. :biggrin1:

You're welcome. I also forgot to add a small can of tomato paste but it might be a good thing I left it out.

You did right. Tomato paste not needed. Whether Shepherd's pie or Cottage pie, it's not meant to be Bolognese pie.

It looks like you made a cracking job of that, mate. Well done! By well done, I mean congratulations... not overcook it :001_tt2:

My wife is in charge our of Shepherd's Pie (even though we used ground beef too).

It's one of those things that is different every time as we don't follow an exact recipe, but it's always similar with variations as to what we have on hand or how saucy it is.

Now I have a hunkering for a big bowl of it. Maybe I'll make your recipe next week.

Cheddar on top! As you said, mozzarella is just wrong on a mashed potato topping.

If I end up making yours, I'll report back.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mature Cheddar. Every time. If foregoing the cheese, a little Coleman's English mustard mixed into the mash works a treat.

Pork pie is great! It's a whole different animal though... pardon the pun.

View attachment 1387005

However, it still goes great with Coleman's English mustard and mature Cheddar. :biggrin1:

You did right. Tomato paste not needed. Whether Shepherd's pie or Cottage pie, it's not meant to be Bolognese pie.

It looks like you made a cracking job of that, mate. Well done! By well done, I mean congratulations... not overcook it :001_tt2:

Extra Old Cheddar is what I had in mind. Its my preference in cheeses and would have worked perfectly. A touch of Dijon or something might have worked but, I gotta say, it is damn good as it is.

1 hour at 400F. The taters are nice and crispsy on top and fluffy under the crust.

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Theres a bit too much black pepper in the filling, I'll halve it next time and, I could have reduced the beef stock a bit more but yeah, I impressed myself with this one.

My wife is in charge our of Shepherd's Pie (even though we used ground beef too).

It's one of those things that is different every time as we don't follow an exact recipe, but it's always similar with variations as to what we have on hand or how saucy it is.

Now I have a hunkering for a big bowl of it. Maybe I'll make your recipe next week.

Cheddar on top! As you said, mozzarella is just wrong on a mashed potato topping.

If I end up making yours, I'll report back.

Follow that recipe exactly but, cut the amount of black pepper in the filling in half and use 2 cups beef stock, not 2 1/2. I honestly dont think I could improve on it. For me, its perfect.

Extra Old Cheddar is what I had in mind. Its my preference in cheeses and would have worked perfectly. A touch of Dijon or something might have worked but, I gotta say, it is damn good as it is.

1 hour at 400F. The taters are nice and crispsy on top and fluffy under the crust.

View attachment 1387014

View attachment 1387015

View attachment 1387016

Theres a bit too much black pepper in the filling, I'll halve it next time and, I could have reduced the beef stock a bit more but yeah, I impressed myself with this one.

Follow that recipe exactly but, cut the amount of black pepper in the filling in half and use 2 cups beef stock, not 2 1/2. I honestly dont think I could improve on it. For me, its perfect.
It looks delicious and meaty!

I'm putting it on my meal plan for next week.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
In these parts that is known as a Cottage Pie as it is made with beef, a Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb. At any rate it looks pretty good 😆

Indeed. The last time I looked around, shepherds don't herd cattle. It drives me more than a little crazy when I see a beef "shepherd's pie" on a menu. That would be like bringing someone a glass of wine when they ordered a beer (or vise versa).

No matter what, @Esox, it looks great!

The best shepherd's pie around these parts is at a place called The Red Lion. The owner even was on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" making one for Guy Fieri. Another patron one informed me that, strictly speaking, it's not a shepherd's pie because it has cheese on top. I believe he said it was a "Cotswold pie." I looked into that, and it seems even "Cotswold pie" is specific enough that it ought to have Gloucester cheese on it, so I don't really know what to call it. Regardless, it's mighty, mighty good!

I believe he said it was a "Cotswold pie." I looked into that, and it seems even "Cotswold pie" is specific enough that it ought to have Gloucester cheese on it, so I don't really know what to call it. Regardless, it's mighty, mighty good!

Big question is - single or double Gloucester cheese?! Important round these yer parts. I live in Gloucester!

If you want the type they use at the Cheese Rolling it's Double Gloucester from Smart's farm just down the road.

For the pie, Cheddar is similar.

Gareth

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Big question is - single or double Gloucester cheese?! Important round these yer parts. I live in Gloucester!

It's been a little while since I looked all that up, but I do believe it was double Gloucester. I apologize for being so imprecise!

Looks fantastic! You know what’s an interesting twist on the ol Shepherds Pie? Cauliflower. Trust me. You steam yourself up the cauliflower and toss it in the food processor with cream butter salt and pepper. We use it in place of the potato sometimes.

Top Bottom