What's new

Storing Falcon pipes

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For those who have a Falcon pipe (plus several spare stems and bowls :001_tt2: ), or any other mix and match pipe for that matter, how do you store them all?

At the moment, I have two stems and two bowls. In time, I plan on increasing that by maybe two more stems and maybe three or four more bowls, as I don't have any other kind of filtered briar pipe. I also have a Nording Compass, and have a churchwarden stem for it that I can swap for the regular one.

I'm wondering how you guys organise and keep track of all the various parts. Box? Pouch? Slung in a drawer? As always, pics are appreciated. :biggrin1:

No better pics at hand but I keep my two Falcons with the bowls that I use the most (1 Briar, 1 Meer both for Condor) in a wallhanger pipe organizer with slings. 3 regular and a Bantam bowl on a shelf nearby.
5658C79C-3D0B-4516-A87C-CC0C6DAC0CE2.jpeg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Are these Falcon pipes still being made? I'm curious about them. Don't see them on offer, though. Everywhere that lists them says out of stock, do I need to go to eBay to try one of these?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
What's the consensus here? A stem and bowl will run me $80-ish. Visually they do nothing for me. Is the smoke that good?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What's the consensus here? A stem and bowl will run me $80-ish. Visually they do nothing for me. Is the smoke that good?
Maybe the attraction is the interchangeable bowls, that can change the whole vibe I would think.

As far as storage, I would think a board with dowels in it would be a way to store bowls, sort of like the pegs for sockets in your tool chest. Not sure about spare bodies, maybe a compartment at the end of the board where you have the bowls sitting on dowels.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Seems high. Is that due to shipping? I can easily get a stem and bowl under £40GBP.

The standard bowls are on the small side, but personally I like how they smoke.

Mine are just shoved in a drawer haha. Nothing too picturesque. I have two stems and three bowls of I remember correctly. A bent "extra" that a tall stack bowl lives on. One of the twisted shillelagh stems and two standard bowls. I think a dublin and algiers.

20180123_221146.jpg
20180407_135031.jpg

I want to expand and grab a few more frames and bowls. I like falcons. They smoke good and look neat. In the future I want to get a standard straight frame, straight extra frame, and an internal. Looks like the hunter stems have been discontinued ugh. A assortment of bowls to go along and I'll be set haha.

Mine are just shoved in a drawer haha. Nothing too picturesque. I have two stems and three bowls of I remember correctly. A bent "extra" that a tall stack bowl lives on. One of the twisted shillelagh stems and two standard bowls. I think a dublin and algiers.

View attachment 1386593View attachment 1386594

I want to expand and grab a few more frames and bowls. I like falcons. They smoke good and look neat. In the future I want to get a standard straight frame, straight extra frame, and an internal. Looks like the hunter stems have been discontinued ugh. A assortment of bowls to go along and I'll be set haha.
The twisted one looks neat. I went for a green standard and a black curved bit so a natural one is missing :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer, in your corner of the world, how are eggs sold? Thinking of your storage, a carton of a half dozen eggs might suit. The bowls would nestle in nicely where the eggs would sit.

Cardboard or plastic cartons. Mostly six, ten, or fifteen eggs per box. Certainly an interesting idea!

By the end of this week I should have 4 bowls and 4 stems (which is still just one pipe of course :001_tt2: ), with the potential of another one or two more bowls being added in future, dependent on if I think it's worth taking a gamble on owning something as fragile as meerschaum.

I don't think I'll have enough drawer depth to take an egg carton, but it's definitely got potential as a liner if I decide to get a separate wooden box for the smoker's Lego.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I inherited a Falcon straight. I have yet to try it as it needs to be cleaned up a bit but I like the concept a lot.

@Ponycarman that twisted one is doggone sweet looking. I will have one as soon as I can find one as long as the price isn't outrageous, I don't see them on the above referenced site in the UK. Discontinued? I hope not.

Top Bottom