What's new

Scotch, where to start?

For single malts, I love Aberlour, Highland Park, Balvenie and Glenmorangie. Islays are fine, might be too peaty for a new pallet.

Blends, Sheep Dip and good old Johnnie Walker Black.

On the wagon starting today while I do 75 Hard. Had 2 JWB's last night watching football and the world really seemed right.

Islays are fine, might be too peaty for a new pallet.

This is why I always save Islay's for a separate introduction later on, if I'm helping a newcomer to scotch. Sure there's some folk that don't really like anything until they try an Islay, but lots more in my experience that take one sip of an Islay and nope out hard. Better to get a few unpeated offerings into them first, then bring out the big smoke.

I even have one friend I'm working on right now who swears he hates scotch, but likes other whiskies, because he bought a $90 bottle of scotch once and it was so bad he couldn't get past two sips and poured the whole bottle down the drain. Turns out his first foray into scotch was Laphroaig, lol. I've been pouring him Old Pulteney 12, Deantson Virgin Oak, Highland Park 10, etc whenever we hang out to slowly correct him into saying "I hate that scotch" instead of "I hate scotch".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you could choose one for your own personal use, purely on taste and not on value for cost, would you select
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Caol Ila 12 year old
Ardbeg 10 Year Old
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition Release 2021
Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Last edited:
If you could choose one for your own personal use, purely on taste and not on value for cost, would you select
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Caol Ila 12 year old
Ardbeg 10 Year Old
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition Release 2021
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Uigeadail is my top choice, but you can’t go wrong with this list. I have had bottles of all but the Lagavulin mentioned but find the Lagavulin 16 superb.

The Uigeadail adds a sweetness from the sherry cask that makes it my top choice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Uigeadail is my top choice, but you can’t go wrong with this list. I have had bottles of all but the Lagavulin mentioned but find the Lagavulin 16 superb.

The Uigeadail adds a sweetness from the sherry cask that makes it my top choice.
Thank you!
I was kind of torn between the first two. Helps me make up my mind.

Last edited:
For my own personal taste, I prefer Highland and Speyside. That being said, Islays scotches are probably more suitable for me. I don't drink them as fast, just because of the taste. I like them, but not as much as the former 2. No one should be whistling down 3 anyway.

Hmmm, Lagavulin and Laphroaig yum! My choice.
I started by drinking Chivas.
Its fun to try different Scotch’s. Seeing how adding ice or water changes their taste. Especially when you’re paying?😏
I really enjoy Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I'm an Ardbeg Wee Beastie fan as well. Truth is I like all Scotch. Like Bourbon, I've yet to meet one that I don't like. :)
IMG_8554.jpg

I've not had the chance to try Uigeadail yet, but it would be a tie between that an the Coal Ila 12. I LOVE Coal Ila.
Caol Ila is one of the four Single Malts used in the Johnny Walker 15 expression which is my favorite blended Scotch. It is so good!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've not had the chance to try Uigeadail yet, but it would be a tie between that an the Coal Ila 12. I LOVE Coal Ila.
I just tried both (couldn't make up my mind). The Caol Ila is superb, but...
the Uigeadail is absolutely amazing.
My first experience with Islay Scotch, and I honestly wonder how anyone could ever try this and NOT love it?

My own taste for scotch tends to lean towards Islay (+for for the black coffee/Islay connection).

Glenlivet is a good starting place.

When I started, Diageo marketed a Classic Malts of Scotland Sampler that was mini bottles of Lagavulin 16 Year Old, Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old, Glenkinchie 10 Year Old, Cragganmore 12 Year Old, Talisker Skye & Oban 14 Year Old for something around $50ish I think. It has been a while since I've seen this, but this is where I started and it gave me a good idea of different regions without having to drop crazy amounts of money for a full 5th of each.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My own taste for scotch tends to lean towards Islay (+for for the black coffee/Islay connection).

Glenlivet is a good starting place.

When I started, Diageo marketed a Classic Malts of Scotland Sampler that was mini bottles of Lagavulin 16 Year Old, Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old, Glenkinchie 10 Year Old, Cragganmore 12 Year Old, Talisker Skye & Oban 14 Year Old for something around $50ish I think. It has been a while since I've seen this, but this is where I started and it gave me a good idea of different regions without having to drop crazy amounts of money for a full 5th of each.
Our ballet used to do a fundraiser on a gorgeous October evening on the lawn outside the Austin Four Seasons. We sipped bubbles around the pool, and a piper led us to long tables where we had marvelous Scottish specialties paired with the six classic malts and a very knowledgeable and entertaining lecturer. The next year we did a vertical of Macallan. I am not usually a fan of Macallan, being more of an Islay type, followed by highlands, but 21 YO with bread pudding darn near converted me.

I had a dram of Johhnie Walker Blue last night at the hotel bar. I have seen bottles of this at several duty free stores for around $240 USD.

I paid $36 for the dram just to see what it’s like without taking the big plunge. I liked it, and I thought it was pretty smooth, but I don’t think it’s worth the money. I would pay $100 for it though.

Totally agree. I took a chance purchasing Laphroaig 10 and absolutely loved it.
I confess I'm a bit late to the party. But that excuse aside, I first encountered Laphroaig 10 back in 1969 or 70 when it was $6.00 a bottle (yes, times, they have a-changed!) and it's still at the top of my list. About a year ago, I stopped by a liquor store in Chestertown, MD owned by a fellow who had worked for Jim McEwan, formerly of Bowmore, on Islay shortly after McEwan had restarted the old Bruichladdich (pronounced something like "Brookladdie") distillery. (For any beginners who'd shy away from peated malt, the Bruichladdich -- at least i the light blue bottle -- is the (an?) exception to what we typically think of when the Islay name arises.) Anyway, this fellow put me onto the new (started in 2005) Kilchoman, a milder, but still quite favorable, whiskey which might also be good for beginners.

For any who might be interested in more, Islay.com has a lot of fascinating into.

Enjoy!

Brad

Top Bottom