What's new

Prototype Sleeve for Storing Stones

I would like to find a better way to store my stones and have been thinking about those leather sleeves that pocket stones come in. Why don't I see these for larger stones?

So I built a prototype for a 6 x 2 x 3/4 stone using polyethylene (?) material from a reusable grocery bag and painter's tape. My first attempt is a bit too big, but the concept seems to work. I could next buy a tarp in the thickness of my choice and stronger tape. One concern is the breathability of this material, but I figure the opening should provide adequate ventilation. Small nylon stuff sacks might also work as long as you did not close them.

I am curious if anyone has bought or made sleeves for their stones? Leather would be very nice.

1. Cut up and cleaned material from reusable grocery bag.

1641155656821.png

2. Cut a rectangle.

1641155932040.png

3. Folded the material at the opening and fastened with painter's tape. Remember, this is a prototype.

1641156051458.png

4. Folded to form side and bottom, attaching each with tape. The first attempt is a little too big.

1641156138292.png

Harbor freight sells a canvas riggers bag that is heavy duty. It has 8 pockets on the outside of the bag that fits an 8x3 inch chosera or other stones like a glove. If I remember correctly I paid about 10 bucks for it. And the inside has room for a sprayer bottle, towels loupe etc.
Screenshot_20220102-165759.png

I have used socks for tools like wrenches, but I find slipping the items in and out to be a PITA. I also like the idea of a full-size opening for ventilation. I should add that my prototype was inspired by the inner sleeve design used by Shapton for their Glass Stones.

You could probably also buy thick paper/cardboard and duplicate the complete Shapton design.

1641216803360.png

I keep my synths in an open-top wood box. Sorta like a small crate.
Jnats go in cardboard boxes, open usually.

I'm wondering how important it is to allow the stone/hone to breath. Often I will roll up a stone in bubble wrap and rubber bands. It seems that most plastics would block the exchange of air, whereas a sock or an open-ended leather pouch would not.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Is that an Aoto top left? (Don't see them very often over here on B&B!)

Yes it is. I don’t know if it’s a Kouzaki Aoto, it is a hard stone and very fine. Finer that the 2-4K. If gives me a SR edge almost that of a coticule, but not as smooth. Only played with it a few times. It’s kicks *** on a EDC blade. I want to seal it before I use it more. A lot of voids and cracks

61757084-F974-43EA-8D2A-A81D2022F13A.jpeg
7C07F704-BF4F-4701-AFA7-47A9E4C23D40.png

Last edited:
My wife made me some small felt sleeves for my premium barber hones that reside in my armoire.
All proper stones stay on the mat ready for use with the exception of a few boxed hones that sit behind the mats.

Yes it is. I don’t know if it’s a Kouzaki Aoto, it is a hard stone and very fine. Finer that the 2-4K. If gives me a SR edge almost that of a coticule, but not as smooth. Only played with it a few times. It’s kicks *** on a EDC blade. I want to seal it before I use it more. A lot of voids and cracks

View attachment 1388396View attachment 1388397

Very cool... we need more Aoto love here!

I've not used any that'd be at the harder / finer end of the scale, though absolutely adore the couple of softer ones I've tried as mid-grit kasumi stones :).

Top Bottom