What's new

Replacement for my Rockwell 6C suggestions

My recommendation is to stick with the Gillette Slim. At 60y years old it has already proven its durability to you... as for the shave, same or better than anything else recommended in this thread, again, imo.
Dial it up or dial it down, but switching out baseplates is for the birds, imo ;)

The Karve is a good smooth choice; similar in buttery smoothness to the Rockwell but with a smaller more elegant head. I like Rockwell 5/6, and have found D SB to be my sweet spot for efficiency and smoothness. The C does not remove my stubble to my satisfaction, and the C OC irritates the skin on my neck. Could be technique, but D SB removes my stubble to BBS without my having to work for it.

I have no experience with the game changer, but the Lupo is an excellent razor for me. The Yates 921 is my holy grail razor.

I usually shave on plate R4 but I have started to shave with R5 plate and loving it.
I would love to hear some suggestion/advice on which razor I should get?
For me and my face, the Rockwell 6C plate 4 with a Gillette Nacet blade is pretty darn perfect.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your 6C .... mine is around three years old, and still in "like new" condition.
My other razors, which give me the same type of great shaves as my Rockwell, include the RazoRock Lupo .72 and
the Timeless Bronze. You may want to consider these as your next razor.

and since then I felt in love with wet shaving and since has become a therapeutic experience for me especially when I am stressed out with life. I am not sure if other people feel the same but shaving has been an escapism for me and has been such an enjoyable experience so far.
Yes indeed !

I've owned the 6S for 3 years, but it rarely gets used. I'm thinking about selling it after getting the Karve CB. I agree with all of the above members if you get a Karve, stick with safety bar plates C-D to start off with if you like plates 4-5 in the Rockwell. You won't regret buying the Karve, but you may have to spend some money on plates to dial the shave in for your preferences.

The natural replacement should be the
Rockwell 6s
I'm sure you will not experience these problems again. If you like the 6c so why not.

Another option is of course the gamechanger.

But I'd recommend a Pearl Shaving Flexi, adjustable and made from brass.
It's a Gibbs or rex ambassador clone, built very well and quite affordable

You can’t go wrong with the Karve or the GC. I do think the QC of the 6S is much better than it was and definitely better than the 6C. If you like the 6C, I would highly recommend the 6S.

If the 6S is off the table, I would go with the Karve with the C and/or D plates. It will feel more like the 6C in your hand and on your face than the GC will.

My main razors are two Wolfmans, but the others in my main rotation are all of the above (6S, GC with both SB and Jaws plates and a Karve with SB-C, OC-D and SB-F plates). Can’t go wrong with either.

Might want to also consider the Lupo if you're interested in RR razors. You may find it more efficient than the Game Changer.

Other razors to consider (depending on budget) are:
-Yates 921-M (can get other plates to dial in shave)
-ATT Windsor (multiple plate options as well)
-Muhle Rocca
-Henson AL13 or Ti22
-Tatara Masamune (multiple plates/top caps available)

Lots of great options out there depending on what you like and how much you want to spend.
I think the general consensus is that RR Lupo might be a better razor instead of GC. Let me do a little more research on RR razors.
Thanks a lot for all the other suggestions. I will have a look at it

As of right now I would want to get a mid range high quality razor as I am still new into wet shaving and still finding my way around it :)

firstly the 6C should last a very long time. You must tighten the handle of your razor too hard during assembly, which causes the screw thread to break. Contact Rockwell for a replacement part. But no matter what brand of razor you make when fitting, just stop tightening as soon as contact is made and your razor will last you for years.
Yes I realised that I have been tightening my razor too hard and that could have been cause of my thread stripping.
Yes I have contacted Rockwell on this. Thanks

Another vote for Karve. I started out with B,C, and, D. Soon after I sold those plates and got a SB G and a OC F. As you can guess I like effective razors. That is the beauty of the Karve. SO many options.
I am seriously considering Karve as my main daily driver. Heard so much good stuff about it.

I have owned the Rockwell 6C, Game Changer .68 and .84 in both safety bar and open comb and now own a brass Karve with the G safety bar plate. The Game Changer would be a good choice, and it is somewhat less expensive than the Karve. You have a bit of variability in the aggressiveness if you purchase multiple plates. I found the .84 safety bar less efficient than I wanted and the .84 open comb a bit harsh. But I also used Plate 6 on my Rockwell. So if you are using Plate 4 or 5 on your 6C, the Game Changer .84 could be a great fit.

I have only used the G plate on the Karve, but I would go with @JAHE's recommendation that you start with something milder like the C safety bar. I think that the Game Changer is a great razor for the price, but I think the Karve is an even better razor for what is still a reasonable amount of money.
Yes from what I have gathered Karve is an amazing razor and I don't mind paying slightly more for a better shaving experience and as @Peyk said my next razor should be an upgrade :)

If you are overtitening it might help add a rubber or other plastic washer. More expensive razors have washers - some shavers use and some don’t. If you don’t use over time a donut like mild scratch can appear.

6C should not have failed so quickly. Something went wrong- put plated pot mental heads will not last as long as other metals. 6S is tank like.

If you get a GC head - you have a top cap and base plate. You can get solid bar, open comb and/or jaws base plates and use the one top cap. GC loads with the blade to the base plate which some find to be awkward. I do. Stainless should be more durable than brass and will not patina. Italian barber (RR distribution) are also sells lots of different handles. They often go on sale - if you watch for the emails. Some have a strong preference for weight, thickness and length. Small hands perhaps 3 inch. Head shaver/body shaver 4 inch - longer reach.

Karve is well made. Brass will patina - you may like this - or need to polish to prevent if you don’t like. Patina will not affect function. Karve handles come in four different lengths.

Henson Al-Medium is the other Canadian that comes to mind. It also comes in mild. Longer handle from what I hear. Some really love it.

Timeless, Carbon Shaving and Above the Tie and occasionally Italian Barber (Razorock) all sell scratch and dent (or returned - not RR on this one) razors and/or parts. Above the Tie has a category of ugly. I am happy to buh from BST or non-perfect looking but functioning perfect.

Other razors that have not been mentioned for
SS entry level: Winner, Merica, EJ 3One6.

I think you are on the right track to be looking at SS with different base plates.
Yes looking to add a washer to my razors now.

I was not aware of brass razor will patina.
Maybe a stainless steel razor might be the best option for me.
Thanks a lot for all the suggestion. I am gonna research and read up on all the razors you just mentioned.
I am gonna start looking out the deals as well :)

The Karve is a good smooth choice; similar in buttery smoothness to the Rockwell but with a smaller more elegant head. I like Rockwell 5/6, and have found D SB to be my sweet spot for efficiency and smoothness. The C does not remove my stubble to my satisfaction, and the C OC irritates the skin on my neck. Could be technique, but D SB removes my stubble to BBS without my having to work for it.

I have no experience with the game changer, but the Lupo is an excellent razor for me. The Yates 921 is my holy grail razor.
Yes it's getting hard to make a decision on which razor to get now.
All the razors mentioned is this thread looks amazing 😅

For me and my face, the Rockwell 6C plate 4 with a Gillette Nacet blade is pretty darn perfect.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your 6C .... mine is around three years old, and still in "like new" condition.
My other razors, which give me the same type of great shaves as my Rockwell, include the RazoRock Lupo .72 and
the Timeless Bronze. You may want to consider these as your next razor.

Yes indeed !
Yes I feel like I really should own a stainless steel razor and looks like RR Lupo provides exactly that with the price point I am looking at . My budget for my next razor is USD 100

I’d pick up a Tech for a few bucks and shave with it for the rest of my life. That Slim you have is also a fantastic razor. Why not shave with it forever?
I gotta go on a hunt for a tech razor then. I guess cause it's the only vintage razor I own so I am keeping it for special occasion only for now.
I will make a trip to the fleamarket near my place next weekend to see if I could find some vintage razors

The natural replacement should be the
Rockwell 6s
I'm sure you will not experience these problems again. If you like the 6c so why not.

Another option is of course the gamechanger.

But I'd recommend a Pearl Shaving Flexi, adjustable and made from brass.
It's a Gibbs or rex ambassador clone, built very well and quite affordable
Yes I love the way the rockwell shaves but again I haven't tried many razor so I am biased towards the rockwell.
I didn't think of Pearl Shaving Flexi, adjustable cause I was really keen at Rex Ambassador but it's beyond my budget right now.
I am gonna read up on this Pearl razor. Thanks mate

Yes I love the way the rockwell shaves but again I haven't tried many razor so I am biased towards the rockwell.
I didn't think of Pearl Shaving Flexi, adjustable cause I was really keen at Rex Ambassador but it's beyond my budget right now.
I am gonna read up on this Pearl razor. Thanks mate
The Flexi is kinda the better Rex. Athleast IMHO.
I have both and the rex has noticeable more blade exposure and at least I have to dial the rex about 0.5-1 number down compared to the Flexi.
Using the Rex you have to pay more attention and the steel gives a liitle drag quite easily.
On the other hand the flexi is much heavier but smoother on any setting.
I use the flexi on 2-2,5, the rex on 1,3-1,6.

So I'd recommend the Rex to advanced shavers with a liking for blade feel and stainless steel. The flexi is almost as easy to use as the Rockwell.
And remind it comes with a very useful stand.
But in the end they shave very similar I must admit.

The Flexi is kinda the better Rex. Athleast IMHO.
I have both and the rex has noticeable more blade exposure and at least I have to dial the rex about 0.5-1 number down compared to the Flexi.
Using the Rex you have to pay more attention and the steel gives a liitle drag quite easily.
On the other hand the flexi is much heavier but smoother on any setting.
I use the flexi on 2-2,5, the rex on 1,3-1,6.

So I'd recommend the Rex to advanced shavers with a liking for blade feel and stainless steel. The flexi is almost as easy to use as the Rockwell.
And remind it comes with a very useful stand.
But in the end they shave very similar I must admit.
That's really great. It's great to know that flexi is as easy to use as the rockwell and I must admit that I really love adjustable razors.

Hello members,

I bought my first double edge safety razor (Rockwell 6C) back in September 2021 and since then I felt in love with wet shaving and since has become a therapeutic experience for me especially when I am stressed out with life. I am not sure if other people feel the same but shaving has been an escapism for me and has been such an enjoyable experience so far.

My Rockwell 6C top cap threading have given way after 4 months and I have gotten a replacement top cap from a Rockwell 2C which I foresee not to last longer than 6 months. My shaving experience is no longer enjoyable as in the back of my head subconsciously I am thinking the more I use this razor the faster it's gonna breakdown.

I have recently acquired a Gillette Slim adjustable and I am plan to use the razor occasionally and I am looking for a new double edge safety razor as my daily driver.

I usually shave on plate R4 but I have started to shave with R5 plate and loving it.
I would love to hear some suggestion/advice on which razor I should get?

I have done extensive research and the 2 razor I see that would be great for me is:-

1. Razorock Game Changer - If I go ahead with this razor, I will start with 0.68 plate
2. Karve brass razor - Not sure if I should go with the open comb or closed comb.

PS. I don't think I would want to get Rockwell 6S even tough it is stainless steel as I'm suspicious of their workmanship now.

I would to thank everyone for their patience in helping a fellow newbie out here :)

The razorock game changer would be a fine choice. I have it and a Rockwell 6s and find them similar with the 6s on plate 4. You are on the right track getting a stainless razor. You just don't have to worry about them.

But if you love you 6c Rockwell i wouldn't rule out the 6s. Rockwell doesn't have poor workmanship. The problem is the zamak or pot metal your 6c is made from not a manufacturing defect. I ve had a 6s for years and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Top Bottom