What's new

Newbie jumping straight to Mühle Rocca -- that a mistake?

Thanks all for the suggestions -- certainly all great and conflicting advice (and of course you're all right!) to keep me in a... a... lather.

On a somewhat related note, is there an obvious blade variety pack I should get? (For me, easiest if on Amazon.)
PM sent.

On a somewhat related note, is there an obvious blade variety pack I should get? (For me, easiest if on Amazon.)

when I was starting out, I found tryablade.com to be great for, er… trying out some blades.

you can order lots as small as 5-packs, or even single blades from them.

I used my Rocca today for the first time in a few weeks. I've been testing out some new editions. Man, what a great shave. Smooth, close, and comfortable. Great razor. I wouldn't be too concerned starting out with this razor. Just take it slow and learn good technique and you'll be in good shape.

You are attracted to the Rocca and that is what you should get.

Don't let yourself be conditioned into thinking that DE razors are either too mild or too aggressive that, if you don't pick the very best one for you, it will be unusable. When learning how to use a DE razor there is a learning curve, but it is very short lived. If you go slow with little pressure you will be on your way with just about any razor out there.

Get the Rocca!

Get the Rocca!, you can ramp up or down the aggressiveness of it with different blades. It was my first, well technically second razor. I got the Muhle R89 but found it far to mild for my beard type and soon after bought a V2 Rocca, and the V4 is far smoother than the V2!.

M

Member 113878

My first suggestion is the Merkur 34C, and the second a Rockwell 6c or 6s.
The latter would provide a wide choice of shave levels.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi all,

For the past few years I've mostly used an electric trimmer to shave myself down to stubble. Not because I wanted the look of stubble, but mostly because I figured doing this would annoy my skin less.

Prior to that, I always used a drugstore cartridge razor -- which I recently used again (rather than the electric trimmer) and realized I enjoyed the clean shave.

And that, my friends, led me down the rabbit hole...

At first I was considering the Merkur 34C...

Then father down the rabbit hole, the Mühle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89...

But then somehow I wound up most interested in the Mühle Rocca (V4) with the Birch Bark handle.

However, I literally know nothing about "blade feel" or "aggressive" or "efficient" -- from reading though reviews, it seems people like the Rocca (especially the V4) -- and I guess it tends to be described as having "some blade feel" and being "medium aggressive," though I don't have a first-hand sense of what those terms mean.

I'm partly drawn to this razor because I liked the idea of stainless steel (having read the reviews of the Edwin Jagger DE89, it seemed a lot of heads popped off the bolt) -- and, well, I just think it looks nice -- which I believe would encourage me to use it, and to enjoy using it.

My overall question is: Is it a mistake for somebody who has never touched a dual edge safety razor to go directly to the Rocca?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm probably not the right person to ask. I've only used my new Mühle Rocca once, but I have to say today's audition shave with the R95 was very impressive. You might enjoy reading up on the razor. Most folks seem to agree with me that it's a far from aggressive razor (it's smooth and doesn't bite) but it's also quite efficient.

I have a whole lot of razors, including some I think very very good, but it's been a long time since a new razor impressed me to the degree this one has.

No razor is perfect for everyone. All razors have a learning curve which is steeper if you're not an old hand. There are plenty of relatively low efficiency razors (low compared to the Rocca) and plenty of razors not as smooth feeling and easy to use.

It's a razor, not a wife.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My 1st nice razor was the Rex Ambassador which is a beast. I learned to respect the razor and I'm better at shaving for learning how to shave with an aggressive razor so early in my wet shaving journey.

I am a newer wet shaver as well and went with the Muhle Rocca R94 and couldn’t be happier, it is a large heavy razor that shaves close and the fit finish and looks of the razor are top notch. I do not find it too aggressive just take your time and all will be fine. If you get anything less than the Rocca you will inevitably end up ”upgrading” at some point. Save the time and money and start with the Rocca you won’t be disappointed.

I am a newer wet shaver as well and went with the Muhle Rocca R94 and couldn’t be happier, it is a large heavy razor that shaves close and the fit finish and looks of the razor are top notch. I do not find it too aggressive just take your time and all will be fine. If you get anything less than the Rocca you will inevitably end up ”upgrading” at some point. Save the time and money and start with the Rocca you won’t be disappointed.
The OP is a one time drive by poster who registered on 6-3 and hasn’t been seen since 6-4, it’s doubtful that he’s going to see your response to a question he asked over six months ago.

The OP is a one time drive by poster who registered on 6-3 and hasn’t been seen since 6-4, it’s doubtful that he’s going to see your response to a question he asked over six months ago.

Geez. Regardless of whether I (OP, "a one time drive by poster") see a specific answer 6 months later, imho the great thing about public forums is the ability to see all the various comments. Of course I'm not still wrestling with the same question 6 months later, right? It seems fairly apparent that the previous comment is from somebody like I was 6 months ago, and who recently went looking for similar information which led them to find an older conversation.

Geez. Regardless of whether I (OP, "a one time drive by poster") see a specific answer 6 months later, imho the great thing about public forums is the ability to see all the various comments. Of course I'm not still wrestling with the same question 6 months later, right? It seems fairly apparent that the previous comment is from somebody like I was 6 months ago, and who recently went looking for similar information which led them to find an older conversation.
Welcome back.

Did you get a Rocca (and if so, do you think it fits the need of a Newbie - or your needs?) Or which razor did you choose instead?

I say just get the Rocca. A lot of this hobby is the love of design and style. And that's okay. The Rocca is a handsome razor and you will not be happy wasting money on an ugly razor with training wheels. Buy the razor you fell in love with. You'll learn how to use it for sure.

Welcome back.

Did you get a Rocca (and if so, do you think it fits the need of a Newbie - or your needs?) Or which razor did you choose instead?

I did, the one with the Birch Bark handle.

Some folks here experiment with lots of different kinds of razors, blades, creams, etc. -- I'm more the sort to pick something and stick with it.

Meaning: if I had lots of different razors I could better answer the question of "which one was best for a beginner" -- but I only have the one that I have.

I picked the Rocca with the birch handle for a few reasons: It seemed to me the materials and manufacture would be solid (I did knock it off the sink once and the head didn't break off) and the birch handle struck me as appealing in a way that would encourage me to stick with the change from cartridge.

My experience is:

1) I continue to use the Rocca

2) It both takes longer and I get more nicks than I got with the cartridge, though I'm getting fewer now than when I started -- for me, it seems about keeping a light touch and letting the weight of the razor do the work. So, on this level (for me) one could argue that the cartridge is more effective. But I use the Rocca.

3) If I want to get done more quickly -- or if I'm starting from a more-recent shave (short stubble), I do still find the cartridge to be more effective, but I seldom use the cartridge -- simply because now I have the Rocca sitting there and there's something nice/different about using it.

Some folks here experiment with lots of different kinds of razors, blades, creams, etc. -- I'm more the sort to pick something and stick with it.
... which is a very sound advice for any newbie who is not familiar with DE-shaving, if not the best.

However, if you are still struggeling with the Rocca after six months of shaving with it you might want to have a look on the Henson Shaving razor... it's worth a look according to your statements and might be a perfect addition.

Have a look over here...

Happy shaves!

Thanks for that suggestion -- I only belatedly realized it's better (for me) to let the razor's weight do the work, so I seem to have fewer hassles now. In addition to considering the possibility of trying another razor, I've also been thinking about trying a different blade (which seems la simple/cheap possible next experiment). Mostly I need to work out my everyday skill/routine with what I have.

Thanks for that suggestion -- I only belatedly realized it's better (for me) to let the razor's weight do the work, so I seem to have fewer hassles now. In addition to considering the possibility of trying another razor, I've also been thinking about trying a different blade (which seems la simple/cheap possible next experiment). Mostly I need to work out my everyday skill/routine with what I have.

Great razor selection. Before you know it you'll be getting great shaves with the Rocca and wonder why you even keep the cartridge razor around. It takes time to develop technique, but once achieved your shaves will be much better. Blades do play a role in both comfort and closeness. Maybe experiment with a blade sampler to find one or two that work well for you. Peruse the DE Blade section for lots of info on the subject. Soaps can also make things better or worse. Lots of variables to getting a close, comfortable shave. You're well on your way.

What I got from his post is that he owns the razor, likes it a lot and was giving you advice to purchase it and how to use it. I merely pointed out that you have not been back since the 4th of June after signing up one day prior, which is true. Since he was trying to be helpful, even though your original question was asked more than six months ago, I was just letting him know that you likely wouldn’t see his response.

Top Bottom