What's new

Memories of Gillette shaving

I started shaving in the late 60's. I always had Gillette razors. What I remember is cutting myself from time to time and walking around with little bits of tissue paper stuck to my face. I always got a good, close shave, but there was always the chance of a cut, and it often happened. Perhaps it was my technique. However, I think modern razors have improved a lot over those vintage razors. I have yet to cut myself, though I did get a weeper once with a Feather blade in a GC .84. on my neck. Other than that, nary a mark. Every time I am tempted to get one of those old razors I think back to my youth and young adulthood and I change my mind. I think some of today's razors are a little better.

I started in the late 70's. I have a lot of the same memories. I still have my grandfather's old '58 Superspeed which he gave me to start shaving. Very mild.

I started in the early 70s and often nicked myself, especially my neck which led me to electrics for about 35 years.

I can get a good shave with a number of razors vintage or modern and attribute this to learning how to shave. I once mentioned to my father that he never taught me how to shave and he responded that no one had ever taught him. Shaving was just done. Typically a one pass shave with too much pressure.

We now have the benefit of forums, videos and other sources of information. My father looked at shaving as a chore and when carts made it easier he migrated to them. Technique was and is less important with a fusion or similar. On the other hand I chose to learn and know about incremental reductions, wtg, xtg, and atg.

My razor of choice today is a Blackbird SB. Had I used this razor with my 1971 technique, I might not have a face left.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Started in the sixties with my dad's Schick injector and finally bought my own razor, a Krona in '69. I simply hated spending money for new blades and let them go too many days so I also spent my mornings with the tiny Japanese flags stuck to my chin.

Using that same razor today or Gillettes from the same era I get no cuts, so I'm not convinced of your theory. I'd say my problem was prep and technique back in the good old days.

Revisit a vintage now, see what happens.

Started in the late 70s. Started with a Super adjustable. Still have it. Cut my chin pretty badly early on, but got the hang of it before switching to a Trac II in the early 80s.

You might be right, but when I picked up a DE Safety razor after so many years it was like riding a bicycle. I just naturally took to it with no issues whatsoever and didn't cut myself, not even once.

Started in the late 70s. Started with a Super adjustable. Still have it. Cut my chin pretty badly early on, but got the hang of it before switching to a Trac II in the early 80s.
Yeah, the Trac II...I made the switch then, too. It was supposed to revolutionize shaving. I was sort of forced to do it because it was easier to use in the field when I was in the Army. It was a lot lighter, too. I tried electrics during that time, as well. They were a disaster. I had no idea anyone was still making a safety razor after all of these years. I never saw any for sale. It's too bad, too. I could have been getting better shaves all these years.

Top Bottom