What's new

Mass Appeal DE Razor - No Longer in Production - NLIP

:laugh: Your acquisitions surpass many Category 3 members, quite a few of whom are actually minimalists!

Give it time. You'll be as crazy as the rest of us soon. :wink2:
it does approach lunacy quickly. I have three Gillette Slims and I have never used a Gillette Slim.

If I do so, then I am interpreting the results rather than gathering and presenting them. The poster who listed flat-bottom tech seemed pretty clear in his/her assertion that it was the flat-bottom specifically.

However, if individuals who posted each type want to change their votes to generic tech, then I am happy to update the counts accordingly.
You can change the 1 Post War Tech to Generic Tech category.

Last edited:
You can change the 1 Post War Tech to Generic Tech category.

Of my handfull of normal commercial non-exotic Techs the Post War are all pretty mild. The US Pre War has more in common with the Canadians Pre and Post a wee bit more aggressive and good for a few days growth. The Flat Bottom is a razor on it's own though, special.
1640290722794.png

If I do so, then I am interpreting the results rather than gathering and presenting them. The poster who listed flat-bottom tech seemed pretty clear in his/her assertion that it was the flat-bottom specifically.

However, if individuals who posted each type want to change their votes to generic tech, then I am happy to update the counts accordingly.
OK, but "ball-end" Tech should be merged with "Tech" because they have the exact same head. I don't think the handle defines the razor.

OK, but "ball-end" Tech should be merged with "Tech" because they have the exact same head. I don't think the handle defines the razor.
You bet!, you should classify as you see fit it's your thread. If we want to see details we can read.

All of my Post Wars are more mild than Pre-War or any of the Canadians. The Brit' Flat Bottom is in a class of it's own as @Cal suggests. That's all I got.

Last edited:
Gillette Fatboy

I have used four Gillettes and a Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. The Gillettes are:
  • 1948-1950 Super Speed
  • 1965 Super Speed
  • 1960 195 Adjustable (Fatboy)
  • 1967 Slim adjustable razor
For ten years I alternated between the two Super Speeds when the blade needed to be changed. I preferred the 1965 over the 1948-1950 model.

This year I pulled the adjustables out of the drawer to try them. Going against the current here, the Slim is my least favorite. The Fatboy surpassed the 1965 Super Speed as favorite razor. Of the razors I have used, the Fatboy wins hands down. This surprised me, because I was very happy with the ‘65 SS and had zero expectations that I would like an adjustable, which is why they sat unused in the drawer for 10 years.

Interesting, but not surprising that all the choices are razors that were sold for almost nothing by razor blade manufacturers (Gillette and Schick). That kind of business model would probably be illegal today, and I can’t help wondering what other razors we might have had on this list if Gillette had sold their razors at commercial prices.

I would say a Slim, but I have yet to fully explore its 'shave envelope' so I am still unsure.
That learning curve for an Adjustable may be intimidating to new shavers.

I would recommend a 40's Super Speed to a new shaver. User friendly, but highly efficient if handled right.
Also you get a vintage which is still affordable.

On a personal note :)

What is a joy to use, and keeps on surprising with it's efficiency and cool?
My 40's Super Speed!

Last edited:
Most likely the gilette slim. Pretty sure if Gillette made a new one with a more fat boy thick handle finished in black like the black beauty it would sell like crazy but I am afraid it would not be cheap.

Top Bottom