What's new

Sharper than a Feather DE blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Today I received my treasured Gold Dollar W59. I mistakenly left it in the Philippines and my good Filipino friend, Erwin, posted it to me.

IMG_20211223_165339.jpg

Why do I treasure this cheap (about USD 15 in 2020) Chinese SR? It is my only SR that I can get to have an edge sharper than a Feather DE blade edge. I have compared the edge of this SR against the Feather DE blade in a shave-off with the Feather in a shavette. As well as being sharp, this SR is also so smooth and comfortable to shave with.

Over the past two years I have honed up about 60 SR's. Ten of those have been Gold Dollar W59's. All of the W59's were first bread-knifed to a 180° bevel angle to remove their excessive (for me) smile before honing to shave ready.

All of my W59's shaved well but for some unknown reason, this W59 took the perfect edge. None of the other nine, nor any of my other SR's could be honed up to the same standard as this W59. I tried. I really tried.

I don't know what it is. It must be the the heat treatment this W59 underwent. Then I think "With Gold Dollar's (in)famous QC, how could this SR be so diffent to the other nine?"

If I can be cremated with only one SR, I want it to be this one!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Today I received my treasured Gold Dollar W59. I mistakenly left it in the Philippines and my good Filipino friend, Erwin, posted it to me.

Why do I treasure this cheap (about USD 15 in 2020) Chinese SR? It is my only SR that I can get to have an edge sharper than a Feather DE blade edge. I have compared the edge of this SR against the Feather DE blade in a shave-off with the Feather in a shavette. As well as being sharp, this SR is also so smooth and comfortable to shave with.

Over the past two years I have honed up about 60 SR's. Ten of those have been Gold Dollar W59's. All of the W59's were first bread-knifed to a 180° bevel angle to remove their excessive (for me) smile before honing to shave ready.

All of my W59's shaved well but for some unknown reason, this W59 took the perfect edge. None of the other nine, nor any of my other SR's could be honed up to the same standard as this W59. I tried. I really tried.

I don't know what it is. It must be the the heat treatment this W59 underwent. Then I think "With Gold Dollar's (in)famous QC, how could this SR be so diffent to the other nine?"

If I can be cremated with only one SR, I want it to be this one!
Sexy blade, too!!

Top Bottom