What's new

Your Favorite High End Adjustable? & Why?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
^^^you're interested in modern razors...I wouldn't want to trouble you. ;)

Kidding aside, perhaps it's placebo effect, but my toggle is my favorite adjustable. Close runner up are my Executive Fatboys.

I've got a Rex Envoy that keeps me from wanting to try the Ambassador. I just can't get the angle right on the Envoy, it either nicks me or doesn't shave...seems to be no in between for me. I find it maddening as I've got over 80 vintage Gillette and another 30-40 "other" modern and vintage varieties, and not a one of them have I ever struggled with. My muscle memory is simply not conducive with the geometry of the Envoy. I'm curious if the Envoy and Ambassador have the same head geometry, and which vintage Gillette, if any, they borrow from.

It wouldn't be too much trouble.

I have few modern adjustables meaning more modern than my Gillette Executive adjustable and my other Gillette adjustables, and also more modern than my Schick injector adjustables.

The Rex Ambassador has never appealed to me because of pretty much universal reviews describing it in terms which turn me off to it. However, the industrial yet attractive look appeals to me, as does the grippy, fat handle. I'm also not saying what I've read about it tells me many other gentlemen with needs different from mine wouldn't love love love the Ambassador.

12-12-21.Denali.CK-6.OumoMixed.640.JPG

I read that the Denali might be a milder version of the Ambassador, or something like that, so I bought one. Of course I can't compare it to the Ambassador having not used the Rex, but I like the Denali. Exactly how much I like it won't be known until I've used it a lot more, but early signs are good.

The Pearl Flexi is also a good and reasonably mild feeling modern adjustable. I like it. Besides that, it's an amazing razor - well designed, well made by CNC, all brass, nicely finished, attractive looking, and good shaving - particularly it's an amazing razor for the price.

1639843948055.png

I'm not of the opinion that I will know enough to answer the question(s) posed in the OP until I've at least tried the Sailor and perhaps also the Rex Konsul (both of which are coming my way in due time).

Of the ones I have I think the Denali, but I could change my mind.

Do I have to try the Russian adjustable and the Iberian adjustable? Answering that question is beyond my ability, and perhaps beyond my inclinations with my credit cards (or not).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don’t own any modern adjustable razors (or any modern razors at all)…

I did get the Denali, beautiful razor but I was very disappointed in the shave. To me way too much drag. So it went on its way.

But I think I may end up ordering a Konsul. Love the Rex visual design and even if this new one is a slant I think I might if it is as mild as promised. All other moderns are too heavy for me. Considered the Sailor for a while but it is just too darn huge. I am a vintage nut at heart and love my vintage adjustables (which are also quite high-end :001_tt1:).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For true adjustable razors, I have the Merkur Progress, Gillette Slim (and Aristocrat), Gillette Fatboy and Pearl Flexi.

I use my adjustable razors occasionally, but not what I would term regularly.

My preference is for highly nimble and maneuverable razors like the Blackland Vector and Ti Blackbird.

For me my top 3 adjustables are :

1. Rocnel Sailor 2021 - able to be extremely flexible and love that even lower settings shaves effectively. Great balance and very tight tolerances. Not as heavy as I thought, in practice nimble even in mustache areas.
2. Tatara Muramasa - Very well made razor. So smooth. Wish it had higher settings. It was very intuitive from first shave. Razor is an enjoyable ride. Have to pay less attention than Rocnel. This razor would be the perfect daily driver for my beard type, 5 is efficient enough and 4 is perfect for across the grain.
3. Denali Adjustable - Smooth razor, and efficient at higher settings. Mine is overclocked, set pass 6 to 7. 7 mows it down. One of my best purchases of 2021. Miles ahead of Rex. Good blend of efficiency and smoothness. No drag for me as top cap is polished. Same grip handle as Rex. Enjoyable Against the Grain in lower settings, at 3 or 4.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
For true adjustable razors, I have the Merkur Progress, Gillette Slim (and Aristocrat), Gillette Fatboy and Pearl Flexi.

I use my adjustable razors occasionally, but not what I would term regularly.

Never ceases to amaze me how in sync our razor tastes are. That echos my adjustable stash, as well as how I feel about them. Except my Progress is a Mergress, and I add a Toggle to my list. I still think a good ole Slim is still the best shaver of the bunch. But the Flexi is quickly proving itself to be a great razor as well.

I don't own high end adjustable (or any) razors at all, but my best ones are the Merkur Progress and the Pearl Flexi. I also have a Slim and Super Adjustable 109, which are also not bad, but not as good as my top two. The Schick adjustable I have is my favorite razor, but it's a SE.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Never ceases to amaze me how in sync our razor tastes are. That echos my adjustable stash, as well as how I feel about them. Except my Progress is a Mergress, and I add a Toggle to my list. I still think a good ole Slim is still the best shaver of the bunch. But the Flexi is quickly proving itself to be a great razor as well.
Great minds, my friend....Great minds. ;) :cool:

I like my (genuine) Merkur Futur, I've yet to find a more aggressive DE razor. It's still a bit aggressive at the lower settings, though. I also have a QShave clone, which shaves much the same, but the blade alignment on that one is all over the place. The bakelite knob put me off of the Progress.

The Rocnel Sailor is an extraordinary razor. It really is. It feels and performs like a professional shaving tool, where all other razors feel like consumer equipment by comparison - if that distinction makes any sense. I also get reliably better shaves from my Sailor than I get from anything else I have, including razors that are more expensive than the Sailor. Super-close, long-lasting, but very comfortable with no hint of irritation. I do use the adjustability during my shaves - I tend to use level 4 for the first pass, then 3, then 2 for the final pass. Level 4 and above feel great but for me are a bit too much for the entire shave.

It is a beast, though, and it is nice to occasionally switch to a H&S P076 Ti or something like it for a very light and nimble razor to fly around my face with. Feels expressive as a change from the functional perfection that the Sailor provides.

I think just those two razors are enough to make an ideal razor collection, for me at least. And that’s part of the beauty of a really good adjustable.

74525D0A-8719-4FBE-BDB4-1F6CAA4AC5E2.jpeg

For me my top 3 adjustables are :

1. Rocnel Sailor 2021 - able to be extremely flexible and love that even lower settings shaves effectively. Great balance and very tight tolerances. Not as heavy as I thought, in practice nimble even in mustache areas.
2. Tatara Muramasa - Very well made razor. So smooth. Wish it had higher settings. It was very intuitive from first shave. Razor is an enjoyable ride. Have to pay less attention than Rocnel. This razor would be the perfect daily driver for my beard type, 5 is efficient enough and 4 is perfect for across the grain.
3. Denali Adjustable - Smooth razor, and efficient at higher settings. Mine is overclocked, set pass 6 to 7. 7 mows it down. One of my best purchases of 2021. Miles ahead of Rex. Good blend of efficiency and smoothness. No drag for me as top cap is polished. Same grip handle as Rex. Enjoyable Against the Grain in lower settings, at 3 or 4.
9CE16134-5879-4B25-AF97-5AE8632CB192.jpeg

Top Bottom