What's new

First slant recommendation?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One door closes; another opens. Now that the Wunderbar appears to have become a highly sought after vintage razor, I'm looking forward to the chance to try the new slant series from RazoRock.

Kind of like Blackland's ERA razor series -- which does NOT include a slant -- the RazoRock series sounds like it will have something on the order of possibly six different baseplates. I assume that means three SB and three OC.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

I'm very satisfied with the ATT S1 + stand. ATT makes relatively expensive razors but it's a one-time purchase that will last far longer than me and then there's pride in ownership. I tried a number of different blades and KAI creates the perfect synergy with the S1 — just as sharp as a Feather but far smoother. I have sensitive skin and a thick beard. BTW, the finest shaving soap I've tried is Ariana & Evans Asian Pear.

I have the Merkur and the RR G37. Both are great, but still require a little caution until you get the hang of it to avoid nicks. I don't have the Fatip slant, but I have a Fatip Grande that requires a lot of attention and caution from me, so I haven't considered Fatip's slant.

Here are a couple other alternatives that you might consider: 1. Parker Semi-Slant: this twists the blade a little less than the Merkur/RR G37, which I think makes it a little more forgiving and easy to use. I like mine but haven't used it in some time. 2. Maggard's house brand slant head: this has a big blade twist and looks menacing, but it actually is easy to use.

I'm very satisfied with the ATT S1 + stand. ATT makes relatively expensive razors but it's a one-time purchase that will last far longer than me and then there's pride in ownership. I tried a number of different blades and KAI creates the perfect synergy with the S1 — just as sharp as a Feather but far smoother. I have sensitive skin and a thick beard. BTW, the finest shaving soap I've tried is Ariana & Evans Asian Pear.

The Kai is my favorite blade in the S1. Great pairing. The S1 is one razor I'll never sell.

Shaved with the Parker Semi Slant for the first time today. Never used a slant before.
Didn't even use my sharp blades of preference, because slant fan @Old Hippie told me to use an Astra. Even with the Astra (😇) the Parker gave me an amazing shave. Good BBS, problem free.
You'll have to cut yourself on purpose to draw some blood, it seems.
Highly reccomanded.

The recommendation of the RR German 37 is a good one. As noted, it is a clone of the Merkur, and you can take it home for a trial run for very few $. I have found it to be a good shaver. Having said that, here are a couple of other options that I happen to like:
  • Ikon X3. This is a machined aluminum head, very well made with good tolerances, and is a gentle shaver. Some find it too mild, but I find it efficient enough and very comfortable. My personal favorite slant.
  • Parker Semi slant. The name is odd, as this is definitely a slant, albeit one that is torqued or canted a bit less than some others. I find it to be a very nice shaver. Parker has been known for some QC issues, but not I've not heard of problems with the semi-slant. Mine is pretty nicely made for a zamac head razor.
Good luck with your hunt.

+1 on the X3. So comfortable you don't realize how efficient it is until you're done.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One door closes; another opens. Now that the Wunderbar appears to have become a highly sought after vintage razor, I'm looking forward to the chance to try the new slant series from RazoRock.

Kind of like Blackland's ERA razor series -- which does NOT include a slant -- the RazoRock series sounds like it will have something on the order of possibly six different baseplates. I assume that means three SB and three OC.

O.H.

What's the new slant series from RR? I've heard it mentioned but can't find anything much. (Well, less than that.)

Just rumors or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim

What's the new slant series from RR? I've heard it mentioned but can't find anything much. (Well, less than that.)

I swear by the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer razor I have. It is certainly a superb razor. I get some great shaves with it when used with a Nacet, Wilkinson Sword or Silver Star blade. I haven't tried other slants so I can't comment on those.

Happy shaves with whatever slant you get!

Jason.

Old Hippie

Just rumors or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim!

After hearing from a fellow member that he'd been told there was a new project on the go, I reached out to Michael Iuorio at RazoRock. I hope I'm not telling tales out of school, but in part what he said to me was:

Thanks for your email and thanks for being a loyal RazoRock/ItalianBarber customer. I guess news travels fast...we haven't publicized it very much as the development process is slow and even though we were hoping to have it ready in 2021 it will not likely be ready until some time in early 2022. We are definitely going to have multiple base plates(somewhere between 3 and 6) and it should be the BEST SLANT available on the market which will bring novices into the slant market with the less aggressive base plates and would also appeal to the most seasoned wet shaver due to the wide range of base plates.

As we get closer to production, we will start by posting a product page on ItalianBarber.com so people can sign up for a notification as soon as it is ready to purchase.

So there you have all I know. I imagine at this time that they'll take a well-deserved holiday and then go back at it in January and we may see them in the spring. Which would be a real garden of blooming new slants with all these plus the Konsul...

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim!

After hearing from a fellow member that he'd been told there was a new project on the go, I reached out to Michael Iuorio at RazoRock. I hope I'm not telling tales out of school, but in part what he said to me was:

Thanks for your email and thanks for being a loyal RazoRock/ItalianBarber customer. I guess news travels fast...we haven't publicized it very much as the development process is slow and even though we were hoping to have it ready in 2021 it will not likely be ready until some time in early 2022. We are definitely going to have multiple base plates(somewhere between 3 and 6) and it should be the BEST SLANT available on the market which will bring novices into the slant market with the less aggressive base plates and would also appeal to the most seasoned wet shaver due to the wide range of base plates.

As we get closer to production, we will start by posting a product page on ItalianBarber.com so people can sign up for a notification as soon as it is ready to purchase.

So there you have all I know. I imagine at this time that they'll take a well-deserved holiday and then go back at it in January and we may see them in the spring. Which would be a real garden of blooming new slants with all these plus the Konsul...

O.H.

Thank you so much for clearing it up and for exacerbating my interest.

Me and razors with multiple baseplates have a love/hate relationship. In my opinion they should be offered as complete packages plus multiple smaller options so you can get what you want and/or get everything you think you might want and/or order a la carte as your purse allows. Italian Barber tends to not have the baseplate one wants when one wants it more often than not. Perhaps they'll offer an option exactly right for me, and you.

They make some damn good razors, that's for sure, and they've acquired a base of experience with a couple of almost perfect slants.

There's also the adjustable Russian slant in the pipeline to compete with the Rex Konsul adjustable.

We're in the Golden Age.

Happy shaves,

Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Sledgehammer is great, as are the older clones - Hoffrirtz, Coles, et al. I haven't had any luck with RazoRox. The latter hasn't been good despite falling for a couple of them

Old Hippie

Me and razors with multiple baseplates have a love/hate relationship. In my opinion they should be offered as complete packages plus multiple smaller options so you can get what you want and/or get everything you think you might want and/or order a la carte as your purse allows.

Completely agree! I was giving serious consideration to just "buying the set" and then once I'd worked out some minor details like which handle I like having a local woodworker build me a timber box to hold it all in style.

O.H.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yep - the multi baseplates are a sorry excuse for a true adjustable, though I've fallen at least twice. The Karve has settled in at F, having only to buy & shed two other baseplates, while the one & two dots on the original Supply Injector languish in the box never to be used. Even with the others (There's a Schick M, a Toggle, an Executive & a couple three Fat boys) I end up shaving with just the one ..

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Not necessarily, thinking of the Rockwell 6C/S. But I doubt you can flip a slant blade, so, hehe...
I am afraid my chances of a dual comb slant razor head might be better than winning the lottery, but not by much. :001_smile
I will most probably buy and try the Ikon B1 in between.

I am using the ATT S1 slant past week and its a fantastic razor. Holds the blade rigid and accurately without any alignment adjustments needed. It shaves super smooth. Very efficient shaves. I will most probably switch to the OC S2 plate and see how it goes this week

I've got a quite a few slants however this is clearly my current favorite slant razor .

Top Bottom