What's new

Which of these vintage Gillette blades are worth buying?

A few days ago I bought a few razors from a Facebook shaving group and the seller said that he's also selling a bunch of vintage Gillette blades. These pictures are just taken from the internet, but that's the Gillette blades that he has for sale and I was wondering if they are any good. I usually don't bother with vintage blades, because they are usually very expensive and I know very little about them (and i'm also very sceptical about their performance), but if the price is right, I can buy anything :D.

So what do you think? Are all of these good blades, or just some of them?

1043_1572983211A.jpg
index.jpg
4-vintage-packs-of-gillette-the-spoiler-razor_1_87e76565b87fa93c0db1a6dd51ef3de6.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
I've tried the "spoilers" on the right. Out of the dozen or so vintage blades I've come across, I would rank it in the top 3.

But, unless you are interested in collecting, or if the price is cheap, don't expect it to blow your mind. It won't cut like a light sabre.

As noted, the Super Stainless Spoliers are excellent blades and, being stainless, their advanced age is not an issue. I personally find their performance to be right up there with any of today's top tier blades, but they last longer. The Thin Blades and the Blue Extras are older carbon steel blades that frequently suffer edge deterioration with age. I'd definitely pass on those if you are looking for blades to use.

I thought all of them are stainless, but I guess it makes sense, since there isn't any mentioning of stainless steel on the packages of the Thin and Extra Blue blades. Thanks for the replies.

I thought all of them are stainless, but I guess it makes sense, since there isn't any mentioning of stainless steel on the packages of the Thin and Extra Blue blades. Thanks for the replies.
This is partly a factor of age. The first stainless steel DE blades (Wilkinson Sword) came on to the market in 1962. Gillette, Schick and others quickly followed. So any blade produced before 1962 is, by definition, made of carbon steel. I'm guessing the Thins and Blue Extras you show are circa early 1960s, or very shortly thereafter. The Spoilers are from the 1970s. Though carbon steel blades were still produced after the introduction of stainless, stainless quickly took over the market. Just about as quickly, carbon steel blades largely faded away.

I am a fan of the PPs made in Brazil. I have about 100 of them left. They are getting hard to find and the price is going up.
Loved pp made in Brazil only sadly ended up 6 left or so ended up getting them locally in store like the sharpness and the smoothness of the blade and could of sworn I got 28 shaves out of one blade out of my merkur 38c hd wished they kept making these blades thought little pricey

I can say from recent experience that the Spoiler blades are very good!
The red and black tuck of carbon steel blades will tear your skin apart! Cool for collectibility but not practical for today’s standards. The spoilers you can use though. People say if they are not open you can just use them and if they are open make sure you disinfect w/ alcohol I would clean them in alcohol regardless

I have used both, and they are both top-notch blades. If I could have only one it would be the Platinum Plus.
I tried the Gillette platinum plus injector blades and they are fantastic. Seem like modern blades to me! 😁🤙🏻

The Super Stainless/Spoiler are some of the best blades ever made.

I have tried vintage Gillette Blue Extras. They tug on the first two passes but do very well on the third pass. No irritation but hard work compared to modern blades.

I haven't tried the Thin blades. I still have some somewhere.

Top Bottom