What's new

What Russian shave gear do you use?

Apart from lots of P&G blades I have some soaps from KatrineDo and Fenomeno Shave. Both artisans are pretty well-known among the Russian wetshaving community. KatrineDo products are pretty decent and inexpensive (at the pricepoint of the equivalent of 8-9$ per tub). Fenomeno on the other hand is quite pricey, especially for a local artisan (18-20$ per tub), however you can find some good deals. Qualitywise their triple milled soaps are exceptional.
@valrohr I have recently seen Fenomeno soaps for sale. As I never heard about them, I started to looking for some reviews. They seem to be rather rare in the English part of the internet. Could you please tell me how do you rate the performance of these soaps? Is it similar to other tallow based handcrafted soaps? What other brand may be the closest to them in your opinion? Also I was courious about the Geronimo's scent. I read the official scent profile from producer, but it is always a gamble with these poetic descriptions 😁 I love soaps that smells natural. From the description I would assume that it smells "outdoorsy", like a walk in the wilderness. Is it so, or is it rather just an inspiration for the scent? The few reviews that I could find speaks highly of Fenomeno's products. Unfortunately, it is enough for me to start questioning myself whether I have too much money on my account 😆

@valrohr I have recently seen Fenomeno soaps for sale. As I never heard about them, I started to looking for some reviews. They seem to be rather rare in the English part of the internet. Could you please tell me how do you rate the performance of these soaps? Is it similar to other tallow based handcrafted soaps? What other brand may be the closest to them in your opinion? Also I was courious about the Geronimo's scent. I read the official scent profile from producer, but it is always a gamble with these poetic descriptions 😁 I love soaps that smells natural. From the description I would assume that it smells "outdoorsy", like a walk in the wilderness. Is it so, or is it rather just an inspiration for the scent? The few reviews that I could find speaks highly of Fenomeno's products. Unfortunately, it is enough for me to start questioning myself whether I have too much money on my account 😆
Well, I'd compare Fenomeno soaps to Stirling. It doesn't have additional oils or skin care products in it but you'll get a great shave regardless. At least I do. As for the scent of Geronimo "outdoorsy" is probably the right term. I don't really like it, to my nose it's somewhat reminiscent of damp grass

Thank you for your reply. I think I will pass on the soaps then. Stirling may be great, but Fenomeno is a little expensive here, so it is not necessarily the best soap I could get for the price. Sorry to hear that the scent is not what you expected. It's always sad when I don't use some great soaps regularly, because I don't really like how they smell. But like I mentioned, it is always a gamble with less known artisians.

Vokshod, Gillette Platinum blades at this time. Not crazy about the Vokshods, but like the Platinums, enough to use them everyday if thats all their was to use.

Today I used "Svoboda" shave cream - it's scented like "Zest" American bath soap, and with a brush creates a kickass "yogurty-cushiony" lather. I finished my shave with Troynoy Russian cologne. I highly recommend Russian products.
Also sometimes I use Troynoy Russian cologne.

Top Bottom